• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish To Enter The Fray

F

feicarsinn

All the Irish provinces are in action this weekend as the magners league gets into full swing

Connacht start off the weekend with a home encounter with Dragons at the sportsground. coach michael Bradley can pick from nearly a full strength team to face the welsh side with only gavin duffy away on international duty and andy dunne the only injury casualty
Connact team to face dragons:
P Durcan; O Treviranus, M Deane, A Wynne, D Yapp; T Donnelly, C McPhillips; B Wilkinson, A Flavin, R Morris; M Swift, A Farley ©; R Ofisa, J O’Connor, J Muldoon.

Replacements: J Fogarty, R Loughney, D Gannon, M McCarthy, C Rigney, C O’Loughlin, D Riordan

Munster will welcome The Llanelli Scarlets to musgrave park for a replay of last year's heineken cup quarter final. with a point still to prove munster will go out with all guns blazing with new signings kieran lewis and rua tipoki making up the midfield pairing
Munster team for Llanelli:
Munster: S Payne; I Dowling, K Lewis, R Tipoki, A Horgan; P Warwick, T O'Leary; F Pucciariello, D Fogarty, T Buckley; M Melbourne, M O'Driscoll, B Holland, N Ronan, A Foley capt
Replacements: Daragh Hurley, S Cronin, T O'Donnell, J Coughlan, G Hurley, J Manning, L Mafi.

leinster and ulster will fianlise their teams for their home openers tomorrow

Couldn't get any radio coverage on this one, but appears to be a decent win for Leinster this evening, usually Edinburgh are a bogey side for us, especially when it's the second strings going up against each other.

Four from four for the Irish provinces. It was good to see two young Irish outhalves (O'Connor and Sexton) play pretty well by all accounts. O'Connor kicked 12 points in Ulster's winwhile Sexton added a try, a conversion and two penalties for Leinster.

Wow!
Ospreys have got 3 points from 3 games!
F***ing ace!

<_<

What an abomination.

Mixed night for the Irish provinces with 2 wins and 2 defeats, excellent result for Leinster, finally managing to get a win in the Arms Park, not sure if that's our first win there in the ML but we don't win there too often that's for sure. Decent win for Munster as well over the Dragons. Again didn't see any of the games so can't judge if performances are matching results. Hopefully with Dr Phil being away on world cup duty that bit longer than anticipated Sexton will get more game time, probably would have anyway but Cheika isn't exactly one for blooding home-grown talent.

sexton had an absolutly excellent day with the boot and got another try (thats 2 from 2) luke fitzgerald also chipped in with two tries. looks like we may well do it this year but its a bit early to judge. personally for some reason i think there's more of a meaning to the magners league than usual which is odd considering the wc is on. maybe ireland doesnt want to focus to much on our national side atm

was at murrayfield last night - Ulster were, we'll i'll be honest, pathetic. controled the game for most of the second half - but they could only keep the ball for 3-4 phases before they knocked it forward and they were back to square 1! also, support was very slow on coming at the breakdown (although wasnt helped by a couple of edinburgh players getting in the way - leading to an Ulster player being dismissed towards the end)

however, good to see a scottish side get back to winning ways - our boys are doing their part of the revival out in france, its up to us to do our part now. just a shame only 1500 turned out last night - and i though the 31000 at the romania game was bad!

Mixed night for the Irish provinces with 2 wins and 2 defeats, excellent result for Leinster, finally managing to get a win in the Arms Park, not sure if that's our first win there in the ML but we don't win there too often that's for sure. Decent win for Munster as well over the Dragons. Again didn't see any of the games so can't judge if performances are matching results. Hopefully with Dr Phil being away on world cup duty that bit longer than anticipated Sexton will get more game time, probably would have anyway but Cheika isn't exactly one for blooding home-grown talent. [/b]
It was a magnificent win for Leinster who've struggled on their travels over the last couple of years. Fitzgerald seems to be on fire right now and Sexton is developing into a well rounded flyhalf.

I take slight issue with the comment that Cheika doesn't blood home grown players enough. It's under Cheika that Rob Kearney and Luke Fitzgerald were picked before playing in the AIL. For last nights tough away encounter he gave Fergus McFadden and Kevin McLoughlin their first starts for the province. Although Jamie Heaslip played a small bit under Declan Kidney, he has blossomed into a fantastic number 8 under the Australian. He gave Cian Healy gametime last season, his first year out of school. This year with squad rotation more in evidence, he'll get ample opportunity to grab the 1 shirt from Stan Wright. Devin Toner has been given a chance in the 2nd row. Cillian Willis and Jonathan Sexton are developing into fine halfbacks under David Knox's direction. He's also managed to bring Shane Jennings and Leo Cullen back from Leicester while adding Trevor Hogan and Stephen Keogh from Munster thus increasing the player base for the Irish national team.

I don't agree with all his calls (such as persisting with Mick Berne, signing Owen Finegan and Ollie Le Roux, choosing Cameron Jowitt over Eric Miller) but the good he has done in the aftermath of Declan Kidney's ruinous reign far outweighs the bad.

But my point is enough, he doesn't blood them enough, sporadic appearances do nothing for the development of a player as far as I'm concerned, all it really does is hasten their moves to England.

As for giving credit to Cheika for picking Kearney and Fitzgerald before playing AIL a chimp would have done likewise so it was hardly amazing foresight on his part.

But my point is enough, he doesn't blood them enough, sporadic appearances do nothing for the development of a player as far as I'm concerned, all it really does is hasten their moves to England.

As for giving credit to Cheika for picking Kearney and Fitzgerald before playing AIL a chimp would have done likewise so it was hardly amazing foresight on his part. [/b]
A chimp (lets call him Declan Kidney for arguments sake) didn't have Kearney anywhere near the Leinster setup. The last player to make an appearance at provincial level the year after he left school was Gordon D'arcy. Cheika brought through both Fitzgerald and Cian Healy. Keith Earls of Munster is the same age as them, is arguably just as talented, has less competition in his way than Fitzgerald yet he hasn't featured once for Munster in a competitive fixture (Declan Kidney is his coach, come to think of it).

I agree that Cheika isn't without fault in his selections. Last year he didn't rotate his squad enough and seemed to have designated 1st and 2nd string teams which can't have helped morale. However this year that appears to be changing. He's already implemented squad rotation at prop and in the back row. He has genuine alternatives at half back and will no doubt utilise Sexton and Willis more frequently. He has two fullbacks of a very high standard who'll be interchangeable while Fitzgerald and Brown will get lots of chances to shine on the wing.

I believe that Cheika has learned from last years mistakes and that squad rotation along the lines of Wasps or Leicester will become a feature this year. That will benefit player depth (and happiness) for both Leinster and Ireland.

Next week I hope to see the following team take the field:

15.Kearney
14.Brown
13.McFadden
12.Warner
11.Fitzgerald
10.Sexton
9.Willis (Whitaker has played two full games)
1.Healy (Stan Wright is due a break)
2.Jackman
3.Knoop
4.Cullen
5.Hogan
6.Keogh
7.Jennings
8.Heaslip

indeed, leinster do seem to have a talent of producing their backs at the perfect time to replace the older ones. dempsey and hickie get old oh no!....oh wait the conveyer belt of backline talent produces kearney and fitzgerald ah no worries. i'd like to see willis play alot more real talent, havent seen much of healy tho. was really impressed sexton again(i really like the look of this kid)

indeed, leinster do seem to have a talent of producing their backs at the perfect time to replace the older ones. dempsey and hickie get old oh no!....oh wait the conveyer belt of backline talent produces kearney and fitzgerald ah no worries. i'd like to see willis play alot more real talent, havent seen much of healy tho. was really impressed sexton again(i really like the look of this kid)
[/b]
sexton is a touch slow but cian healy is a monster

The Leinster team to face the Llanelli Scarlets in Friday night's Magners League clash in the RDS (KO: 7.10pm) has been named.

Right wing Gary Brown will make his 50th Leinster appearance and is named in a backline which sees one change from the one that defeated the Cardiff Blues 30-19 last weekend. Cillian Willis comes in for his first start of the season at scrum-half in place of the injured Chris Whitaker.

In the pack, Argentina international Juan Francisco Gomez starts at prop with Keith Gleeson coming into an all Ireland international back-row to partner Shane Jennings and Jamie Heaslip.

A decision on skipper Leo Cullen's fitness will be made closer to kick off.

It's as you were in the rest of the team who have won their opening two Magners League encounters of the season.

Willis partners Jonathan Sexton at half-back while Fergus McFadden – who impressed on his debut last weekend – lines up alongside Christian Warner who has also started the season strongly.

Tickets can be purchased from Spar (Donnybrook) and from Ticketmaster outlets on the day on both the Anglesea and Simmonscourt Roads.

There is Parking available in the Simmonscourt Road Car Park.

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Gary Brown
13: Fergus McFadden
12: Christian Warner
11: Luke Fitzgerald
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Cillian Willis

1: Juan Francisco Gomez
2: Bernard Jackman
3: Stephen Knoop
4: Trevor Hogan
5: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN / Devin Toner
6: Shane Jennings
7: Keith Gleeson
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Brian Blaney
17: Stan Wright
18: Devin Toner / Cian Healy
19: Cameron Jowitt
20: Stephen Keogh
21: Chris Keane
22: Ross McCarron

LLANELLI SCARLETS:

15: Morgan Stoddart
14: Garan Evans
13: Regan King
12: Gavin Evans
11: Matthew Watkins
10: Rhys Priestland
9: Liam Davies

1: Phil John
2: James Hayter
3: Deacon Manu
4: Vernon Cooper
5: Adam Eustace
6: James Bater CAPTAIN
7: Jonathan Edwards
8: Dafydd Jones

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Iestyn Thomas
17: Ken Owens
18: Lou Reed
19: Gavin Thomas
20: Gavin Cattle
21: Jon Davies
22: Nathan Brew

REFEREE: James Jones (WRU), SUB REFEREE: Colin Stanley (IRFU), TOUCH JUDGE: Seamus Flannery (IRFU)

[/b]
Link: Leinster team to face Llanelli Scarlets

Nice to see Cillian Willis get a shot at scrumhalf (albeit due to injury). Cheika seems to be trying out all sorts of options at 6. Shane Jennings is the third player to wear that shirt in three games.

Ulster Team:
15 - Mark Bartholomeusz; 14 - Mark McCrea; 13 - Darren Cave; 12 - Tommy Bowe; 11 - Simon Danielli; 10 - Niall O'Connor; 9 - Paul Marshall; 1 - Justin Fitzpatrick; 2 - Nigel Brady;3 - Declan Fitzpatrick; 4 - Justin Harrison; 5 -Tim Barker; 6 - Matt McCullough; 7 - David Pollock; 8 - Roger Wilson (Captain)

Replacements
16- Matt Miles; 17 - Tom Court;18 - Carlo Del Fava; 19 - Neil McMillan; 20 - Kieran Campbell; 21 - Kieran Hallett; 22 - Bryn Cunningham

Munster: Shaun Payne; Ian Dowling, Kieran Lewis, Rua Tipoki, Anthony Horgan; Paul Warwick, Tomas O'Leary; Federico Pucciariello, Denis Fogarty, Tony Buckley; Mark Melbourne, Mick O'Driscoll; James Coughlan, Niall Ronan, Anthony Foley capt. Replacements: Frank Sheahan, Darragh Hurely, Alan Quinlan, Billy Holland, Gerry Hurley, Jeremy Manning, Lifeimi Mafi.

Connacht: P Durcan; O Treviranus, M Deane, A Wynne, K Matthews; T Donnelly, C McPhillips; B Wilkinson, A Flavin ©, R Loughney; M Swift, D Gannon; M McCarthy, J O’Connor, C Rigney.

Replacements: J Fogarty, R Morris, J Muldoon, R Ofisa, C O’Loughlin, D Riordan, A Tuilevuka.

[/b]
That's how the other Irish sides line up.

Ulster coach Mark McCall has taken a hatchet to his team after last weeks loss to Edinburgh. Darren Cave, so impressive in the Churchill Cup comes into the centre for Seamus Mallon. Young scrumhalf Paul Marshall replaces former Ireland international Kieran Campbell. At prop Declan Fitzpatrick gets the chance to prove himself in what looks like an exciting young side. Mark McCrea, Niall O'Connor and David Pollack, all aged 20, retain their place while the experiment of putting Tommy Bowe in the centre continues, this time at 12.

Declan Kidney has reverted to type and named an experienced squad. Young talent like Sean Cronin and Billy Holland are replaced by washed up internationals Frank Sheahan and Alan Quinlam. While I can understand having Quinlan in the squad, Sheahan's days as a good hooker are numbered (and have been for the last two years). Once again the exciting Keith Earls is nowhere near the squad with average pros Ian Dowling (who, to be fair, has started well this year) and Anthony Horgan preferred. Rather than going with Darragh Hurley at loosehead, Kidney has opted to run 30something Federico Pucciariello into the ground in his 3rd successive start. At least Denis Fogarty and Mark Melbourne get another chance to play.

Connacht continue with Peter Durcan at the back and Aidan Wynne in the centre in a decent looking side. It's surprising that Dan Riordan hasn't started yet this year having been called into the Ireland squad over the summer - he continues on the bench.

[/b]

I think Irish players do well from moving to the premiership if they get little game time. It will get them experience of both game time and pressure situations, and if they can establish themselves they return to Ireland in a stronger position for national honours. E.g. take Leicester: Jennings returned to Leinster where he wasn't getting enough opportunity (i may be wrong) after a couple seasons which ended in him being one of the best players in the European club game. Humphreys is also set to return to Ulster with some great experience (the victory at Thomand alone will surely win him some respect back home.

Well the likes of Staunton and Wallace have put in decent displays like Humphreys has for Leicester but still doesn't mean they're up to international level, doesn't seem to have the consistency that O'Gara or his brother brought to the position.

Latest posts