• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is fifa worth getting?

thats right GG

The yellow brick road for Konami has ended in gravel - they need to pave a new surface, as this FIFA has the foundations for something huge.

I thought PES was the greatest, until i played the FIFA08 demo about 10 times....the first 10 times i played the FIFA demo i hated it - then i saw the light - the gameplay speed is soo real.

Then i got it online - and FIFA is a dream........no lag, good battles, plenty of activity and a stats tracker larger than history itself.

whoops - and the A-League - the premier league of the world :p

= then i saw the light - the gameplay speed is soo real.
[/b]

Exactly.

It was a few versions (Fifa05 I think) back that I got annoyed when me and the boys put the speed up full...and it didn't even go as fast as PES. I was really puzzled as to why the top speed on Fifa did not have them turboing all over the place....it was then that I realsied that Fifa was trying to create a soccer sim...not a soccer game.

What he said. Accurate and enthusiastic, without being biased......much. [/b]

Hahaha Craig....I am only biased when I think I have found a winner.

By the way....thanks for your information on PS3....I probably was going to buy it anyway but needed some support...someone to tell me and my conscious that I was not jumping off a cliff lol! So thanks mate:)

I think FIFA just needs to make a few tweaks, the computer AI is pretty good atm but your own teams AI needs to be improved, example, players need to run good lines as well as when you pass to a player they need to run towards the ball or whatever, as time and time again I have passed to a teammate and the AI of the teammate I am passed to just stops, and by the time I take control of that teammate the AI has already overtaken and intercepted the ball....it wouldn't be that hard to change, just give them the same AI as the computer until the point the player takes over. Also the penalty system is flawed, the amount of players that get bundled over which would result in a free kick in most leagues in the world, even if its not a legit free kick. Besides those two points it is pretty much there...now all we need is a be a pro manager mode!

I think FIFA just needs to make a few tweaks, the computer AI is pretty good atm but your own teams AI needs to be improved, example, players need to run good lines as well as when you pass to a player they need to run towards the ball or whatever, as time and time again I have passed to a teammate and the AI of the teammate I am passed to just stops, and by the time I take control of that teammate the AI has already overtaken and intercepted the ball....it wouldn't be that hard to change, just give them the same AI as the computer until the point the player takes over. Also the penalty system is flawed, the amount of players that get bundled over which would result in a free kick in most leagues in the world, even if its not a legit free kick. Besides those two points it is pretty much there...now all we need is a be a pro manager mode!
[/b]

Yeah, and I reckon there should be something that takes into account ball control whilst sprinting. I'm sick of not having as much control over the ball, surely some players are better at controlling the ball at faster movements... ie. Ronaldo circa 1998. There should be some stat that accounts for this, 'cos right now it's the same for all players.

I think FIFA just needs to make a few tweaks, the computer AI is pretty good atm but your own teams AI needs to be improved, example, players need to run good lines as well as when you pass to a player they need to run towards the ball or whatever, as time and time again I have passed to a teammate and the AI of the teammate I am passed to just stops, and by the time I take control of that teammate the AI has already overtaken and intercepted the ball....it wouldn't be that hard to change, just give them the same AI as the computer until the point the player takes over. Also the penalty system is flawed, the amount of players that get bundled over which would result in a free kick in most leagues in the world, even if its not a legit free kick. Besides those two points it is pretty much there...now all we need is a be a pro manager mode! [/b]

The only prob with AI recieving the ball and making the decision for us....sometimes if not most times we don't want the AI to make the decision for us because it may be the wrong one. For instance if you give and go (1-2 pass) and the AI decides it wants to move closer to recieve the ball while you are controlling the go player....this would change the angle of the 1-2 and leave things open for an intercept when the AI gives you back the ball. Other problems are when you are giving a pass and want the AI to hold its position or at best move away from you.....it is simply best to have a system where you take control of the reciever.

However you are right in the split second delay that it takes to take control of the reciever..it should be a faster switch.

Yeah, and I reckon there should be something that takes into account ball control whilst sprinting. I'm sick of not having as much control over the ball, surely some players are better at controlling the ball at faster movements... ie. Ronaldo circa 1998. There should be some stat that accounts for this, 'cos right now it's the same for all players. [/b]

I think the fact that you lessen control at faster speeds is very reflective of real life...and it is difficult to master. However it should remain....the truth is...full hardout speed with full control is not really bringing out the skill in a player.....it really takes a lot of skill to work the different pace combinations....standing/pace control/ jogging/ sprinting/ knocking ahead....a true master can pull each one out and use it to get past AI.....people who think they can just pick up and play on fulll speed will never get it...and consequently lose the ball all the time.

So it is good the lack of speed control is there as it seperates the men from the boys...those who bother learning how to use it and those who can't be bothered.

I do understand how you say that some of the star players seem to not really stand out that much with their speed.....this I believe is only sensed INITIALLY....that once you get the hang of controlling the different speeds and when to use it you will notice that there is actually a BIG difference between world stars and the rest. The stars will get THAT slight edge...which can only be exploited by people who put effort into masterring the game...and that slight edge DOES make a difference against other players...especially in tight matches......very much like real life.

I think the player AI should be made so as to run a particular direction depending on the angle of the kick, for example if you kick the ball so they can run onto it, that's what they will do, or if its a simple point to point kick they will see where any opposition is and if opposition is there for a potential interception they will move towards the ball....and even if they are clear, they should ast least do something, whenever a pass is made it seems the player just stops dead in thier tracks, when does this ever happen in an actual game, you basically will recieve the ball flat footed the current way it works...

I think the player AI should be made so as to run a particular direction depending on the angle of the kick, for example if you kick the ball so they can run onto it, that's what they will do, or if its a simple point to point kick they will see where any opposition is and if opposition is there for a potential interception they will move towards the ball....and even if they are clear, they should ast least do something, whenever a pass is made it seems the player just stops dead in thier tracks, when does this ever happen in an actual game, you basically will recieve the ball flat footed the current way it works...
[/b]

yeah, that's annoying. if you make a pass which across the field, even if it's traveling at an agonizingly slow rate, the receiver will just stand there which most of the time ends up being intercepted.

Agree, although sometimes if quick enough, you can swap to that player and get to the ball first, sometimes...

Is fifa 08 worth getting? reviews are crap. Should i get It.[/b]

I have both PES and FIFA for this season and I must say both are complete crap. Well, except for the previous generation console versions of PES. The next gen versions have so many bugs, especially the PS3 version which I gladly did not import.

FIFA looks good at first. Then you immediately run into problems. Instead of being too easy to score on crosses, now you will be lucky if you ever score on them. The computer is more challenging on the pitch, but not in a realistic sense. For instance when the ball is cleared the computer tends to win challenges for the ball in the air because the game is not fliud motion, it still has the "run on rails" motion cap. This means that the ball will go in certain direction instead of being able to be knocked around realistically.

Another issue are fouls and fluid play. Through passes rarely work in FIFA even if you time them right because the computer always knows what you're going to do next based on your button presses. The reaction time is fake. Many times when you have opportunities to beat one man down the pitch you rarely will. Even if your guy has 30 + points more in speed the defender will always reach you and even if he fouls you, you'll rarely see anything happen. I don't know how many times I was knocked down for a penalty kick that never took place.

Despite this I still end up beating teams every match averaging around 4-1 on the highest difficulty. This isn't very challenging overall IMO. When you win trophies, they don't even hold up the cup or have much of a celebration. All your hard work pays off for, "Oh hey, that's it? I'm done? Well, I suppose I can play through another boring season." If you want to play manager mode, just play Football Manager 2008 on the PC.

Then the create-a-player mode, this is the biggest load of crap I've ever seen. Even if you open up all the extra stats to use on your created players, the guy will still end up only having a 59 overall at the most. This means that the only way to truly enjoy your created player is to use him through a manager mode and wait 15 seasons until they can reach their peak performance. Then when your career is long gone, no more player that you worked so hard to improve. You have to start from scratch all over. If you want customization, stick with PES on the PS2 even though the game isn't exactly a step forward at least it is enjoyable.

Another issue I have with FIFA is their bullshit "fully licensed clubs" promotion. What a load of crap, it has always been that way. I believe only one team has official GK kits and the rest all wear the same thing. That is so horrible. Then for many clubs you'll find that even though the badge is present on selection menu for play, the teams' jerseys are total fakes or poorly designed versions of the real ones. I was astonished to see how poor the effort went into creating at least 80% of the gear present in the next-gen games. Lastly, I can comment on your friendly AI with three words - completely useless hacks. If you don't hold onto the help/AI pressure button then they will just stand around and do nothing.

I'm just leveling with you here. You can take a chance, but you'd be best off renting the games first to see if you really like any of them. PES is no better and i don't really need to explain much about it. Go to Gamespot.com for a review of the PES games on XBOX 360 or PS3 and you'll see what I mean. For the PS2 version, expect the same old same with little improvement or additions. The only warming fact is that at least the realistic and suburb gameplay style is still present. Fluid football at it's best.

My rates:

FIFA 08 (next-gen) - 5/10
FIFA 08 (previous gen) - 4/10

PES 2008 (next-gen) - 4/10
PES 2008 (previous gen) - 7/10

it's good but the controls are little annoying. If you double hit a button, its gets saved and thats the next action that gets performed. So say you hit x to steal a pass, you hit it twice, then you steal it, you'll immediately then shoot it. Gets very annoying. Besides that though, it's a good game.

It's not bad. I'm usually a PES player but from what I heard, PES isn't as good this year. Though I'll still buy it when they release it in the states.

The only thing that I dont like about next gen fifa are the tricks. Most of them are pointless since the defenders just stand there and wait for you to run by instead of actually marking you. Plus its funny how even crappy defenders can outrun Kaka in this game.

I think its worth to get FIFA 08 because it really has improved a lot. PES isn't that good this year and now with FIFA really have released a good piece of work i think u should buy it.

I like FIFA 08 because I can get the eL, but now I've come across pc gaming, where I can get PES and get a more realistic eL with a stadium!

I got PES 6 on the PC and it's ridiculous how much stuff you can actually get, I have something like 250+ stadiums and you can get a maximum 361.

I have all EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Erdeviese, Championship and nearly all the International stadiums, as well as league 2, ligue 2, serie b, segunda, 2 bundisliga ect, and kits, balls and everything, it's incredible

Is fifa 08 worth getting? reviews are crap. Should i get It.

[/b]

For me it isn't worth at all, but it is just because I don't see many changes from the previous version, FIFA07. I just got tired of the game this year because I have been playing FIFAs since '98, but if you have never played before it could be a good choice.

Latest posts