• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the BBC's Six Nations coverage worthy of it's "crown jewel" status?

Formula196

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Moseley
The BBC have had exclusive rights of the Six Nations tournament since 2003, do you think it's worthy of it's crown jewel status? Why and does it deserve it's status or is it just another waste of licence fee payers money?

What's so bad about it? Some of the commentators/pundits are poor but I've seen that in sporting events for all channels and sports.

Keep it with the BBC,overall the coverage is fine.Get rid of Eddie Butler though.Bring in Rory Bremner or Alistair McGowan to commentate in the voice of Bill McLaren.:D

Rugby needs a significant presence on terrestrial tv (preferably the BBC).

My opinion would be keep it on bbc like rats said it needs time on the bbc really but sack the commentary staff and bring in some younger people . Shane Williams and Lee Mears would be great I think . Our game is so young into being professional that these guys know the score in the pro era . I'm a fan of Thomas casteinede (sorry about spelling) he's very knowledgable unfortunately his accent can be a challenge at times though .....

I must say I'm a fan of the bt sport staff as a whole

The BBC have had exclusive rights of the Six Nations tournament since 2003, do you think it's worthy of it's crown jewel status? Why and does it deserve it's status or is it just another waste of licence fee payers money?
Something tells me your mind is already made up, and this is less about the Six Nations and more about the license fee.

In any case, reasons why the BBC should keep Six Nations coverage:

1. The BBC spends £150m on acquiring sports-related rights, which covers events like Wimbledon, FA Cup, Match of the Day, Formula 1, Six Nations etc. This is an absolute drop in the bucket compared to the £3.6bn it receives through the license fee. Of course, extra costs go on putting on the event, but the rights will be the biggest expense.

2. The whole point of the BBC is to provide a varied and quality service that is value for money. £145 or whatever it currently is, ie around £13 per month, for BBC 1-4, all the radio services and the online service, is exceptional value, when you think of how much a Sky/BT package costs. People on a budget would be priced out of entertainment without the license. The license fee has stayed steady over the years, and the BBC is still an exceptional service. Rugby union is one of the most popular sports in the country so it deserves terrestrial coverage.

3. Making some rugby available on the BBC widens the coverage, making it available to more people, and widening the interest in the sport. Without Six Nations coverage, the only rugby left on terrestrial TV would be the WC, every 4 years, on ITV, and a crappy Premiership highlights package. (I watch rugby, and I never watch that highlights show because it's terrible.)

4. The BBC coverage is still the best around. I'm getting more frustrated with the crappy camera work missing lineouts and such, but overall it puts on a good show.

There's a very simple solution if you don't like it though; opt out. Before, I was concerned for the people who wanted to get Sky and didn't want to pay for the services of the BBC. But now there are some great online alternatives to television eg Netflix, Lovefilm etc. I think the BBC helps many more people have access to quality television (also bear in mind that there is original BBC programming which will bring in money on rights worldwide, eg Doctor Who). And, well, after all, if you can afford Sky, you can afford the license fee...

Get rid of Guscott, most boring man on TV and no matter what the game is, he will only be talking about England

Something tells me your mind is already made up, and this is less about the Six Nations and more about the license fee.

In any case, reasons why the BBC should keep Six Nations coverage:

1. The BBC spends £150m on acquiring sports-related rights, which covers events like Wimbledon, FA Cup, Match of the Day, Formula 1, Six Nations etc. This is an absolute drop in the bucket compared to the £3.6bn it receives through the license fee. Of course, extra costs go on putting on the event, but the rights will be the biggest expense.

2. The whole point of the BBC is to provide a varied and quality service that is value for money. £145 or whatever it currently is, ie around £13 per month, for BBC 1-4, all the radio services and the online service, is exceptional value, when you think of how much a Sky/BT package costs. People on a budget would be priced out of entertainment without the license. The license fee has stayed steady over the years, and the BBC is still an exceptional service. Rugby union is one of the most popular sports in the country so it deserves terrestrial coverage.

3. Making some rugby available on the BBC widens the coverage, making it available to more people, and widening the interest in the sport. Without Six Nations coverage, the only rugby left on terrestrial TV would be the WC, every 4 years, on ITV, and a crappy Premiership highlights package. (I watch rugby, and I never watch that highlights show because it's terrible.)

4. The BBC coverage is still the best around. I'm getting more frustrated with the crappy camera work missing lineouts and such, but overall it puts on a good show.

There's a very simple solution if you don't like it though; opt out. Before, I was concerned for the people who wanted to get Sky and didn't want to pay for the services of the BBC. But now there are some great online alternatives to television eg Netflix, Lovefilm etc. I think the BBC helps many more people have access to quality television (also bear in mind that there is original BBC programming which will bring in money on rights worldwide, eg Doctor Who). And, well, after all, if you can afford Sky, you can afford the license fee...

Great post, completely agree.

Only a minor thing, but also getting annoyed with camera work. E.g. Scrum time shows a zoom in on the ball in the tunnel. But I want to see how each pack are moving, driving etc... Not just a forest of legs in the vague hope a hooking strike may be seen.

Also agree with earlier comment about Thomas Castaignede. More of him please. Much less of Inverdale and Eddie Butlers formulaic round introductions with the over the top metaphors.

Plus, I have been told in the past that a certain amount of top sports must be shown on terrestrial TV through Government legislation? I.e. Football Euros and WC, Wimbledon, and for rugby is it just WC or 6N too? Or has someone just sold me a line?

Inverdale, Butler, Jiffy should all be kicked in the family jewels and thrown out on the street.

Andy Nichol should be shot and put out of his misery - he is unhappy with everything and the worst pundit on TV

get in Greenwood, Healey, Paul Grayson and Hugo Southwell... and an Ex Ref.

The muppet Healy "Heaven Help" thank God we have Galthie (blah Blah) and Lartot, both bad but so much better than Healy muppet.

The muppet Healy "Heaven Help" thank God we have Galthie (blah Blah) and Lartot, both bad but so much better than Healy muppet.

Mate the French coverage is worse than awful. The presenters can barely string a sentence together and it looks awful. It aims for modern but looks like a hobbyist put it together. Its about as unprofessional as it comes.

Inverdale, Butler, Jiffy should all be kicked in the family jewels and thrown out on the street.

Andy Nichol should be shot and put out of his misery - he is unhappy with everything and the worst pundit on TV

get in Greenwood, Healey, Paul Grayson and Hugo Southwell... and an Ex Ref.

Nicole is just awful. Scotland can get absolutely thrashed in a game and he will find a moment where Scotland may string 5 passes together and then go on to claim they will win the world cup or something ridiculous.

Mate the French coverage is worse than awful. The presenters can barely string a sentence together and it looks awful. It aims for modern but looks like a hobbyist put it together. Its about as unprofessional as it comes.

YOu obviously dont watch Canal + or Canal sport because that is so untrue, the presentation of A2 i admit is not good so i have often watched the 6 Nations on BBC, but the Canal + services are excellent and are done mostly by ex players or trainers who know their subject, and i work with them all the time on TOP 14 days, obviously a good understanding of French is necessary.

YOu obviously dont watch Canal + or Canal sport because that is so untrue, the presentation of A2 i admit is not good so i have often watched the 6 Nations on BBC, but the Canal + services are excellent and are done mostly by ex players or trainers who know their subject, and i work with them all the time on TOP 14 days, obviously a good understanding of French is necessary.

Do they show much Six Nations on Canal + or are we expanding the discussion to all rugby on TV?

Regardless I love the conclusions you jump to about a brit living in France, and the fact you're completely incapable of taking a joke. All you've done since i started posting here is over react to any half jokey comment with silly xenophobic comments such as "go home" etc....

meh! time to ignore i think.

Last edited:
Nicole is just awful. Scotland can get absolutely thrashed in a game and he will find a moment where Scotland may string 5 passes together and then go on to claim they will win the world cup or something ridiculous.

A few years ago he was completely scathing about anyone in the scottish Jersey, they coudl score a lenght of the field try and he'd still critisce someone for not running a good support line or something... he's gone from one extreme to the other and he's so one eyed - even more than eddie butler.

I tend to turn the commentary off if it's Eddie Butler and Jiffy and do 5live or radio... don't mind Moore so much mainly because he's a mad as a box of frogs.

Do they show much Six Nations on Canal + or are we expanding the discussion to all rugby on TV?

Regardless I love the conclusions you jump to about a brit living in France, and the fact you're completely incapable of taking a joke. All you've done since i started posting here is over react to any half jokey comment with silly xenophobic comments such as "go home" etc....

meh! time to ignore i think.

When your jokes become funnily i will certainly laugh but at the moment you are just playing the role of another whinging Brit living in France who is yet to become funny but keep trying !!!! nobody knocks a tryer. end off!!!!!!!!!!!

When your jokes become funnily i will certainly laugh but at the moment you are just playing the role of another whinging Brit living in France who is yet to become funny but keep trying !!!! nobody knocks a tryer. end off!!!!!!!!!!!

râler. râler. râler. râler.

j'ignorer! au revoir!

Latest posts