• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the BBC's Six Nations coverage worthy of it's "crown jewel" status?

râler. râler. râler. râler.

j'ignorer! au revoir!

excellent but no r is needed j'ignore, as i said nobody knocks a tryer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what the.........F**** is going on here ?..

Hold on a moment, what's everyone's problem with Eddie Butler?

his voice is too manly and it makes us all very insecure about our vaginas.

Oh and about pundits, I really don't like that English guy (sounds young). The main guy who puts a lot of emphasis at the end of every. Fuccking. Sentence. With a rough vocal tone to make it sound more intense and epic. Dunno if he's BBC, but I remember watching one of the 2005 NZ Lions tests and the Lions are about to score and he goes "what is the captain doing ?!" to hype up the imminent try. Just so fkn irritating, gaahhhh ! :p
His name plzzzzz ????

This is off-topic slightly, but the worst Rugby pundit - the very single worst I've ever heard - is that South African guy.
He sounds like a guy who's heavily sedated on a hospital bed with meds they haven't tried out yet, and someone's holding a mic and he comments games from his hospital room and thinks he's at the game.
I hate to use this analogy, but he sounds downright mentally retarded. I'm not sure if he's even mildly aware of that. Probably not, but you never know. Or maybe he really. Really. Really. Really....really likes that cannabis plant.

Hold on a moment, what's everyone's problem with Eddie Butler?

He just talks so much ****e. I think the most annoying thing is actually those little clips before the game where everything is hyped up to stupid degrees with all sorts of pointless metaphors and comparisons. Admittedly that is a BBC thing rather than him but as a commentator he just doesn't add anything to the understanding of the game.

BBC coverage is soooo much better than SKy (Or maybe its just the 6 nations is better than anything shown on SKy).
Harrison is awful, but he's not BBC.
Jiffy is probably the most knowledgeable commentator out there, (but damn, he makes sure we all know it).
Love Brian Moore's commentary, he tells it how it is.

Jiffy winds me up... i cannot stand him. He knows the game, but he gets so excited during the game that he just keeps repeating whatever his word of the week is, usuall "Brilliant" in relation to Wales, and "poor" in relation to everyone else.

He'd be better doing the Studio Analysis more often thats when he talks some genuine sense.

I think the biggest problem with the BBC coverage in Inverdale, he's just such a smug git he's almost impossible to watch.

I think the biggest problem with the BBC coverage in Inverdale, he's just such a smug git he's almost impossible to watch.

I didn't want to mention that in case I was accused of being xenophobic :p

The way he directs every conversation before/after every game, whoever is playing, towards 'and what do you think of England' is irritating.

I basically feel the same about Inverdale but at the same time he's only a presenter and we have to put up with the commentators for longer.

On many occasions of England versus Wales England fans have had to put up with Eddie Butler and Jonathan Davies commentating which gives things a very welsh flavour. Meanwhile Guscott spends his whole time praising Wales... so Inverdale is almost a necessary evil as a counterweight!

TBH the worst of the BBC presenters are to be found on SCRUMV, the guy that does the analysis on there is more arrogant than arrogant.
The sort of guy that abstains from coaching because he thinks his team would have an unfair advantage in him.

Gabby Logan is usually great.

TBH the worst of the BBC presenters are to be found on SCRUMV, the guy that does the analysis on there is more arrogant than arrogant.
The sort of guy that abstains from coaching because he thinks his team would have an unfair advantage in him.

This.

Not really sure where they dredge up their audience from either. To be fair, slagging off Scrum V is just too easy, as nobody would even try to defend it

I also have a problem with the Irish guy who talks the whole way with the tough guy's voice. See who I'm talkin about ? Pretty fkn annoying. Name please ! :D

I don't mind Eddie Butler commentating. Sure, he doesn't exactly give much insight buts that's why he is paired with (supposed) experts. He provides a summary of what's going on, his co-commentators are there to fill in the details.

Brian Moore I think is great. Davis okay.

If the BBC could get Greenwood to I studio analysis and replace Inverdale with Gabby Logan then the 6N coverage would be excellent.

You know Eddie Butler has 16 Wales caps?!
Hahah... took me years to find that out.

I think they need to get a former high-level coach that isn't big-headed to come in and be their go-to expert.

Sean Holley. Sean bloody Holley. I didn't think it would be possible for me to dislike him more than I did when he was at the Ospreys. I was wrong.

I enjoy Scrum V. I'm not going to pretend it's heavyweight rugby analysis, but it's an entertaining enough way to pass the time on a Sunday evening.

Gwyn Jones is about the best pundit in Britain at the moment, I wish the BBC would bring him on board for more English-language stuff.

agreed, she's a 1000 times better than Inverdale, and a far more modern approach to the stuffy "lad dad" inverdale.

They should get rid of inverdale, give her the hosting duties, get rid of Guscott and Butler. Bring in some youth who recently played the game and (as in last decade) and bring it up to date.

their stats etc.. i excellent, but the people delivering them dont' even knwo the rules half the time.

I tell you who else would be a good pundit Lyn Jones the former Ospreys coach. He's been on full contact a few times and he's excellent.

Dean Ryan, agreed. Lyn Jones is very decent as well.

I've been impressed by both Martyn Williams and Alan Quinlan, recently retired players who have stepped up to the mark very quickly. Likewise I've seen both Brian O'Driscoll and Jamie Roberts have a go when they're injured, and they're not bad, considering it's very much been a guest role for both.

There seems to be some sort of corrolation between smart guys and good pundits. Who would've thought it?

Latest posts