• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Is the BBC's Six Nations coverage worthy of it's "crown jewel" status?

Over the last few years, we have had Six Nations Commentary from various sources. For a while it was broadcast on ESPN with its own American commentary team (utter crap), then it was via Sky Sports, and now iot back from the ESPN but they are not putting their own commentators in, instead, its simply a stream of the BBC.

I assume its Brian Moore and his team, and I have to say he is the absolute best rugby commentator in the UK. Daylight is second and third.

we need to set up an alternative commentary liek the New Zealands have. :)

What?

Last edited:
Over the last few years, we have had Six Nations Commentary from various sources. For a while it was broadcast on ESPN with its own American commentary team (utter crap), then it was via Sky Sports, and now iot back from the ESPN but they are not putting their own commentators in, instead, its simply a stream of the BBC.

I assume its Brian Moore and his team, and I have to say he is the absolute best rugby commentator in the UK. Daylight is second and third.

What?

http://www.arcrugby.co.nz/

Not for kids (or australians really, they take a helluva lot of stick :p)

Jiffy winds me up... i cannot stand him. He knows the game, but he gets so excited during the game that he just keeps repeating whatever his word of the week is, usuall "Brilliant" in relation to Wales, and "poor" in relation to everyone else.

He'd be better doing the Studio Analysis more often thats when he talks some genuine sense.

I think the biggest problem with the BBC coverage in Inverdale, he's just such a smug git he's almost impossible to watch.

You forgot "numbers". To be honest I don't mind the guy, the irritating stuff is usually amusing to me, because I don't mind enthusiasm. What winds me up more is Brian Moore's little temper tantrums; sure, he often has something to say in them and they're funny at first but a whole 80 minutes of the same complaint over and over becomes really grating.

I really, really hate John Inverdale though. I'm the kind of idiot who knows little enough that I find some of the TV punditry interesting and insightful (feel free to laugh!), but Inverdale makes me end up skipping it most of the time.

Get rid of Wood, Guscott, Nicol and that Sonia bird and it would be fine. Enjoy the coverage on the whole.

Waste of taxpayers money? Apart from Top Gear and Cbebbies its the only BBC programme that gets watched in our house.

This is off-topic slightly, but the worst Rugby pundit - the very single worst I've ever heard - is that South African guy.
He sounds like a guy who's heavily sedated on a hospital bed with meds they haven't tried out yet, and someone's holding a mic and he comments games from his hospital room and thinks he's at the game.
I hate to use this analogy, but he sounds downright mentally retarded. I'm not sure if he's even mildly aware of that. Probably not, but you never know. Or maybe he really. Really. Really. Really....really likes that cannabis plant.
Hugh Bladen? Yeah, listening to his commentary gets a little irritating after a while...it's fun to imitate his voice, though. "HERE GOES...Habana."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugh Bladen? Yeah, listening to his commentary gets a little irritating after a while...it's fun to imitate his voice, though. "HERE GOES...Habana."

listening to his commentary gets a little mind-numbing and suicidal-thought inducing, you mean ? Yehh, I hear what you're sayin...

Last edited by a moderator:
Guscott spends his whole time praising Wales...!

To be fair, Wales keep beating England and England persistently fail to score even one try in a number of successive games against them so you can't exactly blame him can you? If England manage to finally get one over on us, then you'll be hearing a very different tune. It'd actually quite comical watching back the previous game when at half time Woodward is predicting a massive English resurgence.

Let's see what next week brings

Completely irrelevant. How good a team is isn't based on one yearly fixture but in all your games against all your opposition in the context of which England have won more games than Wales. This doesn't perturb Guscott.

To be fair, Wales keep beating England and England persistently fail to score even one try in a number of successive games against them so you can't exactly blame him can you? If England manage to finally get one over on us, then you'll be hearing a very different tune. It'd actually quite comical watching back the previous game when at half time Woodward is predicting a massive English resurgence.

Let's see what next week brings

This number of successive games is 2 right? I haven't missed anything here? 2013, 2012, then 2011 we beat you with two tries... there's been no meetings outside of the 6N right, I haven't gone insane?

I'm not sure a streak of 2 games quite justifies your post.

This number of successive games is 2 right? I haven't missed anything here? 2013, 2012, then 2011 we beat you with two tries... there's been no meetings outside of the 6N right, I haven't gone insane?

I'm not sure a streak of 2 games quite justifies your post.

Wasn't there 2 warm up games for the World Cup which went with home wins 1 a piece . Still your right though

Wasn't there 2 warm up games for the World Cup which went with home wins 1 a piece . Still your right though

Ah well spotted. Yes, a streak of 3 games. Hmm. Maybe I might have to revise my opinion.

Note: Sarcasm :p

Ah well spotted. Yes, a streak of 3 games. Hmm. Maybe I might have to revise my opinion.

Note: Sarcasm :p

Not scoring a try against an opponent 3 games in a row is, in international rugby, a definite streak in my mind. If Wales played a team and couldn't score on try in three games, i'd be appalled.

Last edited:
Not scoring a try against an opponent 3 games in a row is, in international rugby, a definite streak in my mind. If Wales played a team and couldn't score on try in three games, i'd be appalled.

We scored a try in the World Cup warm up i think ? I'm sure Tuilagi scored a try might be wrong though . I'd still rather win with kicking all our points than score a try and lose though

Plus it makes no odds if England score tries against wales or not you have beaten us 3 times in a row irrespective to how the points we have score have come

Edit: just checked England didn't score any tries in the RWC warm up against wales in Cardiff it was 19-9 flood kicked 3 pens wales scored 1 try

Last edited:
We scored a try in the World Cup warm up i think ? I'm sure Tuilagi scored a try might be wrong though . I'd still rather win with kicking all our points than score a try and lose though

Plus it makes no odds if England score tries against wales or not you have beaten us 3 times in a row irrespective to how the points we have score have come

We played Wales twice in that warm-up, with Tuilagi scoring in the first game but not the 2nd game.

Regardless, not really sure what Jbobo is trying to achieve. All teams have their bogey teams, and this tends to shift around. England have lost to Wales 3 times consecutively. Ireland have lost to England 3 times consecutively. Wales have lost twice consecutively to Ireland(almost losing the six nations before). It just happens. Surely what matters more is a teams record overall. If I were Wales, I'd be more appalled that they lost all their games against tier 3 opposition back in the autumn internationals. However, I know now to extrapolate too far from that fact.

We played Wales twice in that warm-up, with Tuilagi scoring in the first game but not the 2nd game.

Regardless, not really sure what Jbobo is trying to achieve. All teams have their bogey teams, and this tends to shift around. England have lost to Wales 3 times consecutively. Ireland have lost to England 3 times consecutively. Wales have lost twice consecutively to Ireland(almost losing the six nations before). It just happens. Surely what matters more is a teams record overall. If I were Wales, I'd be more appalled that they lost all their games against tier 3 opposition back in the autumn internationals. However, I know now to extrapolate too far from that fact.

4 times unfortunately! Tuilagi made Keith Earls his ***** in the RWC warm ups! At least France aren't our bogey team anymore, we just draw to them consistently.

Regardless, not really sure what Jbobo is trying to achieve.

Completely irrelevant. How good a team is isn't based on one yearly fixture but in all your games against all your opposition in the context of which England have won more games than Wales. This doesn't perturb Guscott.

No it is a completely relevant response to your comments. You are saying that Guscott spends his entire time praising Wales, and i simply explained that this is because Wales have Won the last three times in a row against England, thus the praise during recent matches. This is emphasized by the fact England haven't scored a try against us in three games, and lost the last game handsomely. Why do you feel the need to invalidate people's responses when they explain how you are wrong by being ignorant to the initial point you made? reading back it just makes you look dim. In fact the only irrelevant comment i can see is yours about overall form over a year, which is absolutely irrelevant when commentating on a match you're actually attending. Commentators can (or should) generally try to concentrate on commentating on what they see happening on the day. Turns out Guscott was correct in previous games to praise the Welsh performances of late during these matches. Seeing as they won and all..Isn't that the whole point for commentators and pundits? regardless of nationality. Not saying that the Welsh commentators are completely unbiased at times. By the way, at which point did i say this was relevant to the match this week? Did i not say let's see what happens? Yes. Yes, i did. Can i also ask, what exactly do your comments achieve in comparison to mine?

Last edited:
But surely trying to comment on what is going to happen on the day should be based on all the rugby played since the last time two teams met, not what happened in their previous encounter?

Are you suggesting the 30-3 game is more important to focus on in the build up to this weekend that the last three rounds of the 6N, the Autumn Internationals and the form of individual players in a club and international basis? If you are then I don't really agree.

Latest posts