Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6261889,00.html

Italy will continue its policy of taking its November Test matches around the country by playing internationals in Florence, Verona and Modena this year.

Italy's first match of the November series will be against Argentina at Verona's Stadio Bentigodi on November 13 before the team takes on Australia at Fiorentina's Stadio Artemio Franchi a week later.

The Azzurri complete their program on November 27 with a match against Fiji in Modena.

The 80,000-capacity San Siro in Milan sold out for Italy's match with New Zealand in November 2009, while more than 30,000 fans attended the game against South Africa in Udine.

Rome's Stadio Flaminio will continue to host Italy's matches in the Six Nations.

Great news for the Italian supporters, hopefully this will help the Italian game grow.

Some cool games they will play. Hopefully they will be able to win one or two.

great idea, the fact that they sold out San Siro proves that there's plenty of support for the game around the country. Interestingly, I've heard that a lot of the football fans are also starting to move over to be rugby fans because of the problems Italian football has had recently with hooligans and the poor showing from the national side since 2006. Clever move by the FIR tbf.
Hoping that this and the Italian clubs moving to the Magners will help grow support for the game in Italy.
Forza Italia!

Pity they don't have those games in spring, would be cool to combine a visit to Italy with some rugby.

Well there might be some Magners League games at Viadana or Treviso in April if you're lucky :)

This is a great strategy and as a lot of countrys who take to the road like Argentina, Australia...the entire Southern Hemisphere find, it spreads the word and lets everyone across the country get a go at seeing their team play which is win win for all concerned.

I also saw that the weekend of April 26 and May first their are Heinken cup games scheduled.
Maybe something we could arrange for the London trip in April. I don't mind cheering for Aironi or Trevisio

That's a great idea. If the likes of Quade Cooper, Felipe Contropome and, erm, Deacon Manu where playing in my local town stadium, I would definatly go down to watch, as I would if it was Football and, say, Lienol Messi or whoever was playing considering tickets where reasonable. The only problem is that will non-Rugby fans really be that bothered? England's cricket side do the same, and have played fairly locally to me for big games, but I haven't bothered to go and watch.

Latest posts