• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy v England

A

An Tarbh

So the chariot is now chuntering towards a grand slam decider in Paris. So magnificent were the English that all before them now quake in their boots at the mere mention of the English. Utterly dominant in every facet at Twickenham it's merely a matter of crossing the Is and dotting the Ts before lifting the trophy in Paris come March. A trip to Rome is apt reward for such a performance last Saturday.

Well not quite but it's easy to lose the run of yourselves with the 6 Nations, thankfully other nations never do that!

You'd have thought that England would be in for a tough day up front against the Azzuri, especially in the scrum but given how they went against Ireland I don't think Johnno et al will be losing any sleep especially if they get as much lineout possession as they did at Twickenham, which is a distinct possibility given how that aspect went in Dublin.

They may have more direction at half back but not getting the platform from the forwards, which would have been a given in previous years blunts that threat.

It should be a routine win for England, cutting loose in the second half and coming away with a healthy points difference.

Foden, Ashton, Mullan, Cole, Lawes & Flutey in please.

Armitage, Monye, Payne, Wilson, Shaw & Wilkinson out please.

England by a billion.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Feb 8 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So the chariot is now chuntering towards a grand slam decider in Paris. So magnificent were the English that all before them now quake in their boots at the mere mention of the English. Utterly dominant in every facet at Twickenham it's merely a matter of crossing the Is and dotting the Ts before lifting the trophy in Paris come March. A trip to Rome is apt reward for such a performance last Saturday.

Well not quite but it's easy to lose the run of yourselves with the 6 Nations, thankfully other nations never do that!

You'd have thought that England would be in for a tough day up front against the Azzuri, especially in the scrum but given how they went against Ireland I don't think Johnno et al will be losing any sleep especially if they get as much lineout possession as they did at Twickenham, which is a distinct possibility given how that aspect went in Dublin.

They may have more direction at half back but not getting the platform from the forwards, which would have been a given in previous years blunts that threat.

It should be a routine win for England, cutting loose in the second half and coming away with a healthy points difference.[/b]

In fairness I haven't seen any England fans say 'grand slam', but at the same time a decider in Paris would be a wonderful end to this year's 6N from a neutral's perspective. Especially as it would see 'proper' order restored.

Anyhoo, let's take it one game at a time. And let's take it for granted: This Italy side is about as **** as they can possibly be. England will win.

This should hopefully be the last match Payne plays, as Sheridan will (apparently) be available for the Ireland match

Rome is always tough. Its a foolish side that goes there expecting an easy ride.

Remember last time when we went there expecting to win easily? We almost got humbled.

One step at a time lads, one step at a time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And let's take it for granted: This Italy side is about as **** as they can possibly be. England will win.[/b]
I think that is very harsh, and very uncalled for. If Italy had the amount of money in rugby as England do, or the other top tier nations do, then they would smash everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 8 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And let's take it for granted: This Italy side is about as **** as they can possibly be. England will win.[/b]
I think that is very harsh, and very uncalled for. If Italy had the amount of money in rugby as England do, or the other top tier nations do, then they would smash everyone.
[/b][/quote]

And if my Auntie had a pair of ******** she'd be my uncle.

GingerG is basically doing the equivalent of Lennox Lewis hanging his chin out for Hasim Rahman....

...all we have to do is wait for Italy to take a swing.

England will win for sure, but Italy needs to show progress on the Ireland game... I dont think it will be a big margin. Italy in front of the Rome crowd will give it everything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Foden, Ashton, Mullan, Cole, Lawes & Flutey in please.

Armitage, Monye, Payne, Wilson, Shaw & Wilkinson out please.

England by a billion.[/b]

Far too many changes for my liking.

Personally, I'd like to see Mullan coming in at tighthead, Lawes at lock, Flutey at 12 and Foden at full-back,

with a bench of Mears, Cole, Shaw, Armitage, Youngs, Flood and Ashton

I hope it ****** rain and the Italian pack crushes the English...

And hopefully its foggy aswell so Jonny cant see the posts and cant bore us with drop goals...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 9 2010, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 8 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You can't honestly disagree with my statement can you? Italy have the forwards - FACT - They have the captain - FACT - They have an weak back-line - FACT - But with an influx of money and high class club oppoisition, you can't say that they wouldn't improve as much to take a lump out of the world of rugby?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 8 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 9 2010, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 8 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

You can't honestly disagree with my statement can you? Italy have the forwards - FACT - They have the captain - FACT - They have an weak back-line - FACT - But with an influx of money and high class club oppoisition, you can't say that they wouldn't improve as much to take a lump out of the world of rugby?
[/b][/quote]
Couldn't you say that about any team in any sport?

Ifs and buts. Fact is, they don't.

As opposed to Wales who will sweep all Italian opposition before them in a 20 try obliteration of all things Italian rugby :p

For once, I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with Bullitt. Italy 1) have never beaten England, 2) have never looked like beating England, and 3) have never looked quite as **** and boring as they did last weekend.

If they do win, I will be eating a lot of humble pie, and it will be entirely the fault of Martin Johnson and the England team, and nothing to do with how well Italy played.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For once, I'm going to have to agree wholeheartedly with Bullitt. Italy 1) have never beaten England, 2) have never looked like beating England, and 3) have never looked quite as **** and boring as they did last weekend.

If they do win, I will be eating a lot of humble pie, and it will be entirely the fault of Martin Johnson and the England team, and nothing to do with how well Italy played.[/b]

Really?

2007 - England 20 vs 7 Italy

2008 - Italy 19 vs 23 England

2009 - England 36 vs 11 Italy (Big score but only because a flanker was playing scrum-half)

It's only a matter of time.......

f*** me... England aren't exactly world beaters at the moment, but that's the most desperately pathetic example of "don't you dare say *team A* are crap when *Team b* also are" I've ever seen.

At least MunsterMachine isn't mincing his words about it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Feb 9 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If they do win, I will be eating a lot of humble pie, and it will be entirely the fault of Martin Johnson and the England team, and nothing to do with how well Italy played.[/b]

Really?

2007 - England 20 vs 7 Italy

2008 - Italy 19 vs 23 England

2009 - England 36 vs 11 Italy (Big score but only because a flanker was playing scrum-half)

It's only a matter of time.......
[/b][/quote]

OK, so the one example you can cite that is within even 10 points is one where Italy came 'close' thanks to Cipriani gifting them 7 points in the last 10 mins, in much the same way as 5 of their points against Ireland were gifted to them.

It's all very well Scotland and Wales losing to Italy, but in their time Scotland and Wales have been crap. Whatever you may say against England, they've never been quite that bad, which is why they've never lost to anyone beyond the old 5 nations, tri nations and Argentina.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 9 2010, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK, so the one example you can cite that is within even 10 points is one where Italy came 'close' thanks to Cipriani gifting them 7 points in the last 10 mins, in much the same way as 5 of their points against Ireland were gifted to them.

It's all very well Scotland and Wales losing to Italy, but in their time Scotland and Wales have been crap. Whatever you may say against England, they've never been quite that bad, which is why they've never lost to anyone beyond the old 5 nations, tri nations and Argentina.[/b]

England IMO have never been bad, and of course they are never going to be as bad as a second/third tier nation. I just feel that giving Italy so much abuse is uncalled for. They have been playing constant international rugby for ten years and they have come on leaps and bounds. They add something fantastic to the Six Nations, and not just a trip to Rome - they add passion and pride which, IMO, some of the other nations don't show.

Latest posts