• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

It's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaas!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Dec 3 2008, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:D

My favourite time of the year, by a mile! With only 22 days left until the big day (3 weeks tomorrow) how's your plans going? How's shopping? Food shopping? Any last minute plans? Going away anywhere? What's Santa bringing you?

I'll be taking the dog to mum and dad's for a nice family christmas.[/b]

Hellllo everybody how are you???

Hey ST Helens RLFC I like your topic as the Christmas time is my favorite year period too

Unlike the time I was child now I am shopping not in toys' shops but in Medical Books ones and etc.

Anyway I'd like Santa to bring me some Book-free time and patient-free also :lol:

Plans are going smooth, and thanks to God I am not duty at ICU Unit on 31st December

Unlike Catholic church, Orthodox one celebrates Christmas on January 7th, while December 31st is the New Year night

Good. Wish you all good my friends

The Christmas of my dream:
merry_christmas_sexy_2007_01.jpg

Since i updated vista, i lost the sound on my pc..

in other news.. Christmasing merries to you my dear Lekso.. good fun you have i hope with sexy santa girls :cheers:

I'll be suffering from exam stress come Christmas time, as I have the last few years, since my exams are always in January XD It's shame though, I feel like baking Christmas cookies and decorating a tree and watching the Sound of Music (for some inexplicable reason they show it every single year on Christmas), and White Christmas, and Love Actually. No time for all that :(

Nonetheless, I'll have time to celebrate/have a meal with the rest of the family in honour of my brother's girlfriend's birthday (on the 23d), Christmas eve and Christmas, and I'll probably be taking time off on the 31st and 1st of January to celebrate the new year. We don't really do gifts in my family, but my boyfriend's family does, so I knit him a sweater (still have to assemble all the pieces) :) I just hope it won't turn out to be too big or too small, would look ridiculous :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 4 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 4 2008, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 3 2008, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stay away from all the religious bull that comes with it and celebrate it for what it really is ; The Winter Festival (Christians merely hijacked an existing festival). This can be difficult considering i'm the only atheist in my family but hey ho...

Its a time for family and I try to see as much of mine as I can on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Satan Claus will be bringing me an electric banjo this year![/b]

Booooooo! What Holidays have the atheists ever given us? NONE! So...smoke that in your pipe! Ha Ha.

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

In all seriosuness though, why would we create a holiday for something requiring non-belief in any deity?
[/b][/quote]
Because you're miserable twits who haven't even begun to understand. Bless you.

Here's to all the heretical card games - best part of the holiday, after the kids have opened the presents and everyone has fallen in love again.

I'll be home for a couple weeks, and it'll be good to see the old family again.

Being a student, not alot of money for me to burn this xmas but I'm hoping to have a good time and catch up with some old team mates. Plus it's my 19th as well on the 30th and seeing as I'm a scot, I bloody well love hogmanay.

I like Xmas for the food and to see my family.
Other than that i'm not religious so i don't use the holiday for that reason, but i enjoy the feeling i get that's been instilled into me over many years of my childhood.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 5 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 4 2008, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Dec 4 2008, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stay away from all the religious bull that comes with it and celebrate it for what it really is ; The Winter Festival (Christians merely hijacked an existing festival). This can be difficult considering i'm the only atheist in my family but hey ho...

Its a time for family and I try to see as much of mine as I can on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

Booooooo! What Holidays have the atheists ever given us? NONE! So...smoke that in your pipe! Ha Ha.

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

In all seriosuness though, why would we create a holiday for something requiring non-belief in any deity?
[/b][/quote]

Here's to all the heretical card games - best part of the holiday, after the kids have opened the presents and everyone has fallen in love again.
[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

Calling someone a miserable twit isn't very Christian is it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 7 2008, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 5 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

[/b][/quote]
Oh yes it is - if it's true.

St Helens, why have you responded to that with a photo of a homosexual in tights?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jEnTSQStGE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jEnTSQStGE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Put up lights tonight because I realized my dad was past doing it! Now bring on the Christmas Cheer! Going to watch a Christmassy movie tonight...I made some shepherds pie...and who knows what else!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 6 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 7 2008, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well its not true, i'm fairly certain that you don't know all the atheists in the world so can't reasonably make that assumption.

But of course religious faith isn't based on reason is it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 22 2008, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 6 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Well its not true, i'm fairly certain that you don't know all the atheists in the world so can't reasonably make that assumption.

[/b][/quote]
Precisely the opposite - it is based on reason, once you admit that reason is a gift from God. QED!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 22 2008, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Precisely the opposite - it is based on reason, once you admit that reason is a gift from God. QED!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Dec 21 2008, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Haha!

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Excuse me?

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
I think faith and reason can go hand in hand. My faith is based on reason. I can't see how there cannot be a creator, as I look at a perfectly balanced universe (won't go into details as we've done this discussion, I'm just justifying my reasoning). I also look at a world full of miserable selfish people hurting eachother and figure that cannot please someone who created us. Therefore I figure we need some sort of salvation, some way of getting the balance back, someway of reconnecting us with the creator. Enter Christ. "Long lay the world in sin and error pining, till he appeared and the soul felt it's worth. A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices..."
So, that's my logical approach to Christianity. However, it does take faith to believe in it all.
I just hope you can all have a Happy Christmas and remember that behind it all there is a religious contex to it all, even St. Nick (the Christian Bishop who was present at the First Council of Nicea) has his origins within my faith. I'm glad everyone can celebrate it, just please don't try to strip it down to something devoid of the meaning behind it.

I see no need for a creator.

Granted, we can't explain everything about the universe, but why should that lead us to suppose that any God (let alone Yaweh) created it? Because we have a book that says it is so? A book that makes some frankly outrageous claims? Or because you were brought up in a Christian culture?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Granted, we can't explain everything about the universe, but why should that lead us to suppose that any God (let alone Yaweh) created it? Because we have a book that says it is so? A book that makes some frankly outrageous claims? Or because you were brought up in a Christian culture?[/b]

No, the reason why we believe is because we now have the ability to be able to 'create' ourselves because we have the ability to know and see what creation actually is at the drawing board.

Now and for some time in modern history we can actually see what the genetics and molecular construction of life is. If we took our knowledge of creation back in time now, we would be seem as highly advanced. With knowledge, comes power. The fact is, we are not highly advanced.. we just found out more about how things work and figured it out ourselves.

Even if you don't believe in 'god', you can clearly see that there has been some design aspect in us and all our natural surroundings. I believe we was created for a purpose, and have been left to develop over time. 'God' is the name that has become a generalisation.. 'God' to me is the embodiment of everything we do not know and cannot currently achieve in our lives and everything we aspire to be. Faith is a good thing.. to remain focused and driven and determined sometimes you need to believe in yourself and your ability to be, therefore you are also believing in god in some form.

Although you cannot see 'God' as a single physical form, there is a little essence of 'god' in us all, and also every other living thing on this planet. There's probably also a little devil in us too. There has to be a balance, otherwise how would you know right from wrong? This is why you see such a spectrum of good and bad in the world.. it's natural.

We all have the ability to create. This is the difference between humans and most animals. IMHO, we inherit this special trait from 'god' or the 'creator'. It's like we are made with a built-in tutorial of the rules of creation.

The fact is that things like Christmas have no real meaning to ancient religion. Christmas now is just a commercial 'festival' that gives us some time to be glad for. It belongs to nothing now, it is it's own festival. Sure it's called 'Christ's mass', but it has rather been hijacked into something else much more commercial for as long as i can remember.

Everyone should celebrate Christmas, even Jehovah's Witnesses IMHO as it is not actually about the birth of jesus and never has been *spoiler* and does not even represent Jesus' real time birthday.

It's actually a complete mish-mash of things.. i mean Santa, as the popular image was designed by Coca Cola.

I am not religious in any way, shape or form but i appreciate it's benefits and it's ideas. I mean, Jesus never celebrated Christmas or Easter obviously and if he ever did he would never make it about materialism.. so to appreciate true Christmas, you must discard all of the novelty, strip away all of the razzamatazz and just have a peaceful gathering of friends and family and celebrate that time with each other for the sake of having friends and family and just take a moment to reflect. It's a good rule for life in general.

Something Gay Guy once posted here has always remained with me.. and that was a simple post about how he feels 'creative'. He likes to create things, and to create is the most special talent that we have. To be able to create something by hand with a little thought no matter what it is, gives you a key skill that allows you to make a true use of yourself. It's the reason why we advance.

Knowledge + Creation ability = Advancement.

I do not clearly see any evidence of design in the world, in fact if we were designed then whoever designed us did a very shoddy job.

Our sense of good and evil doesn't prove anything. Morals differ across the world, there are no universals.

Latest posts