Cake Or Biscuit

• Cake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biscuit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
F

feicarsinn

so this is a running debate we've been having in school over the last month or so. its ended in some fairly big violence actually :D so what do ya think i will puch anyone who says its a biscuit i mean its in the name.

so trf decide

It's a small cake.
In no way is it a biscuit. Your schoolmates are deluded. -.-

Ut oh... Can't you ask something easier like "which came first, the chicken or the egg"...?

This will never end!

It's a biscuit. You can't have a cake that small. it's base is very biscuity...just because you add some stuff on top dosn't stop it being a biscuit

It's a cake.. because the biscuit is not hard enough to call it a proper biscuit.

I submit, change my vote.

There was a case taken by Customs and Excise in England in the early 90s for tax reasons (no tax on cakes) against McVities claiming that it was a biscuit though they (McVities) classified it as a cake. And I'm serious about this....there was a focking tribunal, a tribunal worthy of Ireland

As they say "If you want a great musical go to Broadway
If you want a great drama go to the Westend
wWant to see a Tribunal, head to Dublin

Anyway, tribunal found that it's a cake, mainly because a biscuit goes soft when stale and a cake goes hard. Jaffa Cakes go hard. It's a cake.

I think it's obvious that it's a cake.

The two main things to remember between the two: -

When a cake is out of date it goes hard.
When a biscuit is out of date it goes soft.

I think that answers your question as to whether or not a Jaffa Cake is a cake or a biscuit.

Uum, it's a cake!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 21 2008, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ut oh... Can't you ask something easier like "which came first, the chicken or the egg"...?[/b]
The egg came first, how could it be anything else?

From Wikipeadia

Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes â€" they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.[6] This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. A question that the court asked itself was "what criteria should be used to class something as a cake?"

McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes. In doing so it produced a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.

McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, inter alia, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Mr Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Contrary to a commonly held belief, whether something is considered a 'luxury item' is not a test for VAT purposes.

Mr Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes.[7

Given the tax man is never ever ever wrong, I guess we can close this thread :lol:

As a former tax man myself, I can tell you that the tax man is frequently wrong!

I love those! Even though I'm an American...

I think it's a cookie by American standards.

Of the poll, it's definately a biscuit in my book. As monkeypigeon said, it's just a biscuit with orange and chocolate on top. It's still a biscuit.

If a Jaffa Cake is a cake, then wouldn't Hob Nobs count as cakes too?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (USA_Rugby @ Nov 30 2008, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I love those! Even though I'm an American...

I think it's a cookie by American standards.

Of the poll, it's definately a biscuit in my book. As monkeypigeon said, it's just a biscuit with orange and chocolate on top. It's still a biscuit.

If a Jaffa Cake is a cake, then wouldn't Hob Nobs count as cakes too?[/b]

You're very wrong.
It's a cake.
The name says so and the definition of the product proves it to be that.
It's not a biscuit.

Latest posts