• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[June Tests 2018: 1st Test] New Zealand vs. France (09/06/2018)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
daFCYgK.png

UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
Hc45KkY.png

Venue: Eden Park, Auckland
Time: 09:35 (CAT, GMT+2)

Last edited:
Brodie/Sam Cane/Sam Whitlock quite a few of the hard men are out.

Surprised to see Jordie in over Naholo, especially when it means moving Bender out of position.

Not a fan of DMac over Mo'unga. DMac plays so much better as a FB so I don't see the need to shoehorn him in as a 10, especially when Bender's not getting any younger. It's also not like Mo'unga's too old, he's only 24 and a much more natural 10.

Beyond that it more or less picks itself; personally would've rather seen Taufua at 6 with Squire at 8 rather than Whitelock but that's a marginal call.

Bench looks like it'll cause some real damage; Fifita, Savea, Perenara, DMac and Laumape to come off the bench is no joke. Who's this Tu'inukuafe, I don't think I've heard of him.

New Zealand: 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Liam Squire, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Sam Whitelock (captain), 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody.
Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Vaea Fifita, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 Thomas Perenara, 22 Damian McKenzie, 23 Ngani Laumape

Strong NZ side, the way the Kiwis seem to play in recent times is to have one secondary fullback and one strike winger, so I'm not at all surprised to see Bender on the wing, it's unfortunate for the likes of Naholo but that's just how it is at the moment, and you can't exactly blame them, it really puts a stopper on any teams ability to beat them territoriality.

I do think Richie Mo is a better 10 than D-Mac but if I had to choose one of them to be the player coming off the bench for impact it would be D-Mac 100% of the time.

Good side other than their forward pack is a shade weaker than normal with their injures. I'll put it this way - (and please don't get triggered), I'd take Whitelock and Cane for the Bok side, and leave the rest.

To be frank I can't see the French coming within 15 for any of the tests, good luck to them!

New Zealand: 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Anton Lienert-Brown, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Luke Whitelock, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Liam Squire, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Sam Whitelock (captain), 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody.
Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Vaea Fifita, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 Thomas Perenara, 22 Damian McKenzie, 23 Ngani Laumape

Strong NZ side, the way the Kiwis seem to play in recent times is to have one secondary fullback and one strike winger, so I'm not at all surprised to see Bender on the wing, it's unfortunate for the likes of Naholo but that's just how it is at the moment, and you can't exactly blame them, it really puts a stopper on any teams ability to beat them territoriality.

I do think Richie Mo is a better 10 than D-Mac but if I had to choose one of them to be the player coming off the bench for impact it would be D-Mac 100% of the time.

Good side other than their forward pack is a shade weaker than normal with their injures. I'll put it this way - (and please don't get triggered), I'd take Whitelock and Cane for the Bok side, and leave the rest.

To be frank I can't see the French coming within 15 for any of the tests, good luck to them!

I have never supported the French, but please please please can you **** the cocky little New Zealanders up! I can dream

This was going around before the highlanders v hurricanes game...I'm a big fan of barrett and see him as a worthy successor in time...but this doesn't exactly justify moving they (arguably) best fullback in the world out of position. And its not like we don't have someone who can play 14 and so need to cover, Naholo is in as good a form as ever.

I just don't get whats wrong with having barrett on the bench and bringing him on with 30 to go, gives you the option of him covering the midfield too

bender v barrett.jpg

I feel like it has more to do with the fact that Ben Smith is equally good on the wing, and Jordie hasn't played any wing as far as I know?
B Smith also seems to have more pace from what I can see. Naholo is a beast, but again that secondary FB thing, and you can't drop Rieko.

There's also the point that Naholo covers only 1 position. Looking at the other outside backs, all can cover more than one position. You could make the argument that he would have been a good choice to come off the bench. Although I'm a huge fan of laumape, and really excited to hopefully see him and ALB grow together over the next few years, there is cover at centre within the side. Beudie, Jordie and Reiko could all slot into centre if needs be. However, if Reiko went down, we don't really have anyone who has played winger to drop into him position.

Is DMac the wing cover? Laumape's played there a bit hasn't he?

Thats my point; i worry about D-Mac being able to do a job there. I'd almost expext in tgat situation to move Beudie to 14, Bender to 11 and bring on D-Mac at 10. I think laumape played wing in League, but not sure i remember seeing him there for the Canes...

Thats my point; i worry about D-Mac being able to do a job there. I'd almost expext in tgat situation to move Beudie to 14, Bender to 11 and bring on D-Mac at 10. I think laumape played wing in League, but not sure i remember seeing him there for the Canes...
I remember Laumape getting a few games there for his Mitre 10 team.

Jordie is a great player who has a huge future in the all blacks, I think in time both he and mckenzie ane going to get a lot of tests but moving Smith to the wing and dropping Naholo? Naholo has been in awesome form and his defense has been excellent plus all the critical turnovers he makes?
Plus without Naholo we also lack someone in the backs with genuine physical punch. i'm sure we will win this one but this looks like a bit of an experiment.

Alb and Critty are IMO the two best midfielders left standing but they are quite similar players in many ways, but they are both excellent so nothing really to complain about, just kinda missing a big guy in the midfield...

Very strong side other than Retallick being missing. hes a guy who you can almost pick week in week out as best player and without a doubt the best lock in the world. others need to stand up in his place.

Alb and Critty are IMO the two best midfielders left standing but they are quite similar players in many ways, but they are both excellent so nothing really to complain about, just kinda missing a big guy in the midfield...
This isn't a bad point, even in your pack you are missing an out an out ball carrier like a Rettalick/Savea/Kaino type of guy.
Codie Taylor and Squire probably the closest.

Lots of smart ball players though, hard to imagine the line breaks are going to be hard to come by.

This isn't a bad point, even in your pack you are missing an out an out ball carrier like a Rettalick/Savea/Kaino type of guy.
Codie Taylor and Squire probably the closest.

Lots of smart ball players though, hard to imagine the line breaks are going to be hard to come by.
Squire's more of a ball carrier than any of Retallick, Savea or Kaino. Barrett's not half bad either.

Squire's more of a ball carrier than any of Retallick, Savea or Kaino. Barrett's not half bad either.
Respectfully disagree mate, I don't think you can even compare their gain line success, perhaps in wider areas.

Alb and Critty are IMO the two best midfielders left standing but they are quite similar players in many ways, but they are both excellent so nothing really to complain about, just kinda missing a big guy in the midfield....

Crotty is an amazing player, I'm just looking at his current age (29 nearly 30) and wondering how much further he goes. We had such joy with a centre partnership that were together as ABs for years in Smith and Nonu; I am hopeful ALB and Laumape are the equivalent at 13 and 12 respectively.

Surprised to see Jordie in over Naholo, especially when it means moving Bender out of position.

Not a fan of DMac over Mo'unga. DMac plays so much better as a FB so I don't see the need to shoehorn him in as a 10, especially when Bender's not getting any younger. It's also not like Mo'unga's too old, he's only 24 and a much more natural 10.

Beyond that it more or less picks itself; personally would've rather seen Taufua at 6 with Squire at 8 rather than Whitelock but that's a marginal call.

Bench looks like it'll cause some real damage; Fifita, Savea, Perenara, DMac and Laumape to come off the bench is no joke. Who's this Tu'inukuafe, I don't think I've heard of him.

He's a new cap. Wasn't even playing Super Rugby at the beginning of the year, still has a full-time job. Prop for the Chiefs.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...blacks-the-remarkable-rise-of-karl-tuinukuafe

Latest posts