• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jwrc 2015

RSA 6 - 21 ENG

World rugby website has a live score.

Neither side convincing, England more disciplined, benefitting from two Saffas being binned in the first half.

Not just the discipline, but the mistake count is keeping England comfortably on top. SA really are struggling to string more than four or five phases together.

I did think the second yellow was soft. That said England are the far superior side. Better than us in every aspect. It's really no contest.

I've rarely seen such a biased, one-sided refereeing performance.

The referee laid out his stall within a couple of minutes of starting the game.

He was simply going to blow one side off the park.

There was a late shoulder charge on a South African player earlier that the ref didn't even bother to look at again, nor consult his TMO.
Also an England player flopped on a ruck from the wrong side 4 meters from his try line.

Yet SA have had 2 yeallow cards, a penalty scrum, numerous warnings, and an incredible lop-sided penalty count against them.

Why does the IRB/World Rugby appoint a referee who gets to decide who his countrymen face in a final.
They did this before and it stank.

In how many years England will show this supremacy at U20 in the senior level?

28 - 20 to England. Full Time

New Zealand v England final

Last edited:
That's unexpected- not unwelcome though. Sorry Crapspray, I couldn't find an online score (clearly wasn't looking hard enough). Bit of a shame if the refereeing is as bad as it sounds.

Do we know that it necessarily will?

I'm not sure, they are many years of supremacy. Maybe you're right, Australia is a disaster at U20s level but always manage to improve at senior level. They always get some NRL superstar like Israel Folau.

Well if the final is 80 minutes of scrummaging England should do alright. Anything more and I don't fancy their chances. That said, I thought South Africa would walk it today.

A team coached by Jon Callard playing accurately? Now I've seen everything.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure, they are many years of supremacy. Maybe you're right, Australia is a disaster at U20s level but always manage to improve at senior level. They always get some NRL superstar like Israel Folau.

Never underestimate England's ability to waste young talent. It's the one area we're consistently world-class.

That's unexpected- not unwelcome though. Sorry Crapspray, I couldn't find an online score (clearly wasn't looking hard enough). Bit of a shame if the refereeing is as bad as it sounds.

The refereeing was only biased if you saw it through "groen" spectacles!!

Never underestimate England's ability to waste young talent. It's the one area we're consistently world-class.

That's true, but tbf for the most part the guys who have done very well at u20's in the last 4-5 years have come through fairly well.

I don't recall us having junior sides this good ever.

My view is that the English youth development system is good at maximising the talent pool available (saying that all other countries may have excellent systems in place for all I know), which means that England do very well at U20 level. I don't think it necessarily follows that these players become outstanding senior world class talents. Countries whose teams do reasonably well at U20 level despite their players not playing close to their potential may be better off in the fullness of time than teams who do better based on players already playing to their potential.

That's true, but tbf for the most part the guys who have done very well at u20's in the last 4-5 years have come through fairly well.

I don't recall us having junior sides this good ever.

There's certainly no excuse about a lack of talent in 2019. All the pieces are there. Combine the 2011, 13, and 14 sides and there's one heck of a team to be made.

My only concern would be the lack of truly stand-out players in this year's squad; there doesn't seem to be a Ford or Itoje-level of player.

Not many good flankers seeming to come through either. Kvesic is the only one who springs to mind. Itoje and Clifford sort of count, now they've moved.

Do you think the refereeing was good cookie ? I'm not judging I haven't seen it just know you always have good perspective on this stuff

As is usual, I don't think referee Brendon Pickerill got everything right (referees in any sport who have 100% mistake free games are about as common as rockinghorse sh¡t) but IMO there were no glaring or critical errors. He managed the game well and kept a good, strict offside line at ruck and maul, using warnings rather than penalties, and talking to players during down times and between plays to keep them on track. His management of the breakdown was excellent IMO.

Both yellow cards awarded against South Africa were fair and fully justified. Their lack of discipline is what cost them in this match, and nothing illustrated this better than the fact that the referee warned them twice in the first 10 minutes about high tackles, and within minutes, their Captain (of all people) committed another one and got binned. Then within a short time after he returns, their lock Jenkins (?) committed a yet another one, and he was binned as well. What they hell do people expect the referee to do when players ignore his repeated warnings?

The penalty try to England was textbook. We have seen several just like it in Super Rugby this year.

Comments that the referee was biased in order determine which team NZ would face in the final are as over the top as they are wrong.

Last edited:
The refereeing was only biased if you saw it through "groen" spectacles!!

THat's RACIST!! I'm sure of it. I expected more from you, Cooky! :p

But more seriously, the general feeling in SA is that the guys left themselves with too much to do from ill discipline after coming up against a team that could match them up front and that they should concentrate on the rugby and cutting their hair might help.

Last edited:
Baby Blues getting a lesson in rugby from the Baby Blacks, if fact a bruising, never in the contest and after scoring first they were over run and and over pôwered, when you get one under 20 (No.8) 1.95 and weighing in at 112kgs bigger and stronger than both French locks its really no wonder. So England v New Zealand which could be very entertaining cant see France getting more then 4th place when they play SA in the Petite Finale, SA too strong upfront for France but its one game and anything can happen they did manage to beat England in the pool game so ????

Haven't watched any of this yet, but can someone tell me how Tompkins is doing in the centres for England? He's looked like a fantastic prospect when playing for Sarries.

Latest posts