• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Brive

True, If Drico or Bowe get injured I'd have him straight into the Ireland team.

I think I have had enough Mark Robinson to last a lifetime though :(

he was practically on his knees, slobbering at O'Driscoll's crotch in the post match interview, truly cringe worthy stuff.

Still though to all intents and purposes Leinster are through.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 17 2010, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
he was practically on his knees, slobbering at O'Driscoll's crotch in the post match interview, truly cringe worthy stuff.

Still though to all intents and purposes Leinster are through.[/b]
Interesting BOD interview. He weren't happy. Actually criticised Horgan - "thought he was too late with the pass" - and gave impression it was a poor performance by the team. No doubt about his ambition this season.

Well, it was a very poor performance. Really pulled it out of the bag in the last minute. We were only in the position to get the bonus point due to Brive's absolute uselessness though.

Positives:

5 points
Sexton did O.K.
Reddan was quite good
Won ugly

Negatives:

We were unimaginative and made basic errors throughout
Shane Jennings was poor
Despite all the possession, we never looked dominant
We were as clinical as an elephant

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 17 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, it was a very poor performance. Really pulled it out of the bag in the last minute. We were only in the position to get the bonus point due to Brive's absolute uselessness though.[/b]
Bit too critical, I reckon. Brive's defence was tough.

BOD's mood seems to be only a back-to-back will do. Hope that means a GS as well.

Leinsters main worry should be that it would have been a very different story if Brives offence wasn't so inept for 90% of the match.

Jeez that O'Driscoll he some man for one man :lol:

Great weekend wrapped up in style for Irish Rugby :bravo:

Oh yeah maybe Shane Jennings should be put to bench as O'Brien is a far better 7 and Leinster should realize that

Jennings is back from a 13 week layoff so it would have been a fairly big surprise for him to be at top form tonight. T'was all about getting him game time for next week, same with Sexton.

The Leinster back row is in really great shape. We've got 4 top players in Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Jennings, as well as having some great prospects below them (Ryan, Ruddock, etc). The way things are looking at the moment in 2 or three years Leinster will be looking to have at least 2 backrow players in the Irish 22 with the other 2 most likely coming from Ulster where the likes of Ferris, Pollock and Henry still have years of Pro rugby ahead of them. The big question is where have all the Munster loose forwards gone?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 17 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jennings is back from a 13 week layoff so it would have been a fairly big surprise for him to be at top form tonight. T'was all about getting him game time for next week, same with Sexton.

The Leinster back row is in really great shape. We've got 4 top players in Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Jennings, as well as having some great prospects below them (Ryan, Ruddock, etc). The way things are looking at the moment in 2 or three years Leinster will be looking to have at least 2 backrow players in the Irish 22 with the other 2 most likely coming from Ulster where the likes of Ferris, Pollock and Henry still have years of Pro rugby ahead of them. The big question is where have all the Munster loose forwards gone?[/b]
Yeah, the Leinster backrow is shaping up nicely. I suspect Ruddock or Ryan will have supplanted McLaughlin in the Leinster first team by the time of the 2011 World Cup. Sean O'Brien could supplant Shane Jennings from the 7 shirt even sooner. A slight concern would be the lack of number 8's in the ranks - after Jamie Heaslip there's next to nothing. Jordi Murphy could get there but he's at least 2 years away from being ready IMO.

Munster don't have to worry about loose forwards coming through. While they are sorely lacking players in their mid 20's, Peter O'Mahony, Brian O'Hara and Tommy O'Donnell look like becoming excellent players and all are between 19 and 22 (I think).

As for the Leinster game v Brive, a win is a win but it was a poor enough performance. Isa Nacewa was my man of the match with Jamie Heaslip a close second. Sean O'Brien put in an excellent cameo. I wouldn't be too surprised if Michael Cheika rings the changes in the pack next week. I suspect that he'll name Mal O'Kelly alongside Leo Cullen in the 2nd row, Nathan Hines at blindside, O'Brien at 7 and Heaslip, as ever, at 8. Neutralising the plastic paddies lineout next week will be very important.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 17 2010, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 17 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Leinster back row is in really great shape. We've got 4 top players in Heaslip, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Jennings, as well as having some great prospects below them (Ryan, Ruddock, etc). The way things are looking at the moment in 2 or three years Leinster will be looking to have at least 2 backrow players in the Irish 22 with the other 2 most likely coming from Ulster where the likes of Ferris, Pollock and Henry still have years of Pro rugby ahead of them. The big question is where have all the Munster loose forwards gone?[/b]
Yeah, the Leinster backrow is shaping up nicely. I suspect Ruddock or Ryan will have supplanted McLaughlin in the Leinster first team by the time of the 2011 World Cup. Sean O'Brien could supplant Shane Jennings from the 7 shirt even sooner. A slight concern would be the lack of number 8's in the ranks - after Jamie Heaslip there's next to nothing. Jordi Murphy could get there but he's at least 2 years away from being ready IMO.

Munster don't have to worry about loose forwards coming through. While they are sorely lacking players in their mid 20's, Peter O'Mahony, Brian O'Hara and Tommy O'Donnell look like becoming excellent players and all are between 19 and 22 (I think).

As for the Leinster game v Brive, a win is a win but it was a poor enough performance. Isa Nacewa was my man of the match with Jamie Heaslip a close second. Sean O'Brien put in an excellent cameo. I wouldn't be too surprised if Michael Cheika rings the changes in the pack next week. I suspect that he'll name Mal O'Kelly alongside Leo Cullen in the 2nd row, Nathan Hines at blindside, O'Brien at 7 and Heaslip, as ever, at 8. Neutralising the plastic paddies lineout next week will be very important.
[/b][/quote]

No way will Nathan Hines play blindside. It'll be Hines and Cullen second row and McLaughlin blindside.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 17 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No way will Nathan Hines play blindside. It'll be Hines and Cullen second row and McLaughlin blindside.[/b]
No way? Strange that. He played blindside against Brive away and was selected to play there against either Connacht or Glasgow over the last couple of weeks. Kevin McLaughlin was available for selection on both occasions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 17 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 17 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way will Nathan Hines play blindside. It'll be Hines and Cullen second row and McLaughlin blindside.[/b]
No way? Strange that. He played blindside against Brive away and was selected to play there against either Connacht or Glasgow over the last couple of weeks. Kevin McLaughlin was available for selection on both occasions.
[/b][/quote]

I think Malcom should start with Cullen in the second row and mclaughlin at blind becuase Malcoms been better than Hines and if they play Hines at blind there will be no ball winner in the backrow becuase Hines just isnt mobile enough...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 17 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 17 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

And McLaughlin came on in his place against Brive and scored 2 tries. Also, he was actually suffering a slight injury in that match. that's why he didn't start. I really cannot see Hines being chosen ahead of McLaughlin based on that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 17 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And McLaughlin came on in his place against Brive and scored 2 tries. Also, he was actually suffering a slight injury in that match. that's why he didn't start. I really cannot see Hines being chosen ahead of McLaughlin based on that.[/b]
Actually McLaughlin came on for Leo Cullen (if my memory serves me correctly) but that's just splitting hairs!

In my opinion, the best Leinster 4-8 is Cullen, Hines, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Heaslip but given London Irish's total domination of the Leinster lineout in the RDS (and also the pre-season game in Donnybrook), Michael Cheika may take a pragmatic approach and pick an extra lineout jumper. That's why I think it's an option, rather than flatly saying "no way" will it happen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 17 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Actually McLaughlin came on for Leo Cullen (if my memory serves me correctly) but that's just splitting hairs!

In my opinion, the best Leinster 4-8 is Cullen, Hines, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Heaslip but given London Irish's total domination of the Leinster lineout in the RDS (and also the pre-season game in Donnybrook), Michael Cheika may take a pragmatic approach and pick an extra lineout jumper. That's why I think it's an option, rather than flatly saying "no way" will it happen.[/b]

But Kevin McLaughlin is a line-out jumper...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Jan 17 2010, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 17 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, the best Leinster 4-8 is Cullen, Hines, McLaughlin, O'Brien and Heaslip but given London Irish's total domination of the Leinster lineout in the RDS (and also the pre-season game in Donnybrook), Michael Cheika may take a pragmatic approach and pick an extra lineout jumper. That's why I think it's an option, rather than flatly saying "no way" will it happen.[/b]

But Kevin McLaughlin is a line-out jumper...
[/b][/quote]
He's not a frontline jumper. He's an auxiliary option, much like Jamie Heaslip. Hines is a frontline jumper.

Leinster have depth we know but can do whatever they want because I honestly cant see Irish catching them in pool now but y would ye change in 1st place

And when David Wallace retires :( Sean O'Brien is the man to come in he is solid and well even seen him in flesh against South Africa he stepped in as if it was a training game and gave a good account I think he ahead of Jennings (even when Jennings is match fit)

Latest posts