• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Gloucester - Pool 2

A

An Tarbh

Leinster face a tough opening match with the visit of Gloucester to Lansdowne Rd. Injury doubts remain over Chris Whitaker and Cameron Jowitt but both have been named in the starting lineup subject to fitness tests. If Whitaker is fit for selection, Cillian Willis will take his place on the bench. But if Whitaker is again ruled out, Andrew Dunne â€" who earlier this week signed a contract until the end of the season â€" will take his place on the bench, with Willis starting. Should Jowitt not make it, Stephen Keogh will make his Heineken Cup debut for the province with Adam Byrnes taking his place on the bench.

Mal O'Kelly and Girvan Dempsey will both make their 50th HEC appearance for Leinster.

Carlos Nieto is poised to make his first start for Gloucester. Nieto will line-up in an all-international front row alongside Wales hooker Mefin Davies and France star Christian Califano. Gloucester welcome back Italian skipper Marco Bortolami in the second row where he will partner Adam Eustace, while the back row and back line are unchanged from the team which beat Worcester last Friday.

I think Leinster will be pleased that Nigel Whitehouse won't be reffing this one, given his appaling performance in Leinster's opener last season when Bath took the spoils at the RDS.

Leinster: 15 Girvan Dempsey, 14 Shane Horgan, 13 Brian O'Driscoll (capt), 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Denis Hickie, 10 Felipe Contepomi, 9 Chris Whitaker, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Keith Gleeson, 6 Cameron Jowitt, 5 Malcolm O'Kelly, 4 Trevor Hogan, 3 Will Green, 2 Brian Blaney, 1 Ronan McCormack.
Replacements: 16 Harry Vermaas, 17 Reggie Corrigan, 18 Owen Finegan, 19 Stephen Keogh, 20 Cillian Willis, 21 Kieran Lewis, 22 Luke Fitzgerald.

Gloucester: 15 Iain Balshaw, 14 James Bailey, 13 Jack Adams, 12 Anthony Allen, 11 Mark Foster, 10 Ryan Lamb, 9 Peter Richards, 8 James Forrester, 7 Andy Hazell, 6 Peter Buxton, 5 Adam Eustace, 4 Marco Bortolami (capt), 3 Carlos Nieto, 2 Mefin Davies, 1 Christian Califano.
Replacements: 16 Nick Wood, 17 Olivier Azam, 18 Jonathan Pendlebury, 19 Jake Boer, 20 Rory Lawson, 21 Ludovic Mercier, 22 Rudi Keil.

Referee: Christophe Berdos

Half time at Lansdowne Rd - Leinster 30-17 Gloucester.

very open match which suits Leinster down to the ground, set piece is functioning alright, some worrying refereeing decisions, too much advantage given to Gloucester for their first penalty, Leinster collapsed the maul in the play prior to their breakaway try by Keogh and a massive forward pass in the buildup to Gloucester's try just at the break. M. Berdos is filling the shoes of Mr Shitehouse in a similar manner which is quite worrying.

Full time at Lansdowne and a bonus point win for Leinster over Gloucester who leave Lansdowne with nothing following a 37-20 defeat. Referee Christophe Berdos took a hammering at the end when he fell into Owen Finegan with blood pouring down his face. Promising signs from Leinster despite the biased comment from that twat Robson, we proved in that match against Munster that our pack will be able to compete with the best in Europe.

solid performance lions solid!

cant wait to catch this one.. i gotta download it..

we're not the Lions anymore, that was just a marketing gimmick which didn't really catch on.

Match will be worth the watch though, some cracking tries, you might get some on youtube.

lol if im not mistaken they still have the lion themed website forest jungle thing

and the lion at the games!!

nah i just get the match straight off *REMOVED*

alright my match is currently downloading, it should be done later tonight, which means ill get to watch it tomorrow afternoon.. ill post opinions then.

alright i watched half last night

what did you think of young cillian willis?

i think he played very well, he seemed to make good decisions, he has a nice crisp pass and he doesnt let his game get to repetive and easy to tell, i think this kid has a larger upside than reddan

He looked impressive alright for the most part, will probably play again this Sunday and another test in coming up against Blair, didn't quite win the battle with Richards but serviced the backs well, not afraid to make a break as well, take note Stringer.

stringers game is so telegraphed now

he played really well like you said he didnt quite win it with richards, but that comes with experience.. i love how he was gettin into it with the old buck at scrums though! Ballsy Youngster!

Latest posts