• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I'm amazed that, after years of us having some of the worst discipline of any T1 nation and often losing games off the back of it, we still try to play silly buggers, still react to wind ups and still give away tons of stupid penalties. Regardless of what anyone thinks about Jones, first 2 years aside, our discipline has been shocking. This isn't a thing unique to him, English sides have always had bad discipline. I just can't understand why no coaches seem willing or able to deal with it. Is it part of our national mentality? Are we just plain and simply incapable of keeping control and not doing braindead stuff? Hell we could be playing T2 sides and thrashing them and still walk away with a worse penalty count.

As Brown mentioned, Jones keeps saying it's his fault when it goes wrong. If that's the case, why is he facing no consequences?
Yeah it's always struck me as odd that elite sportsman don't have the composure and professionalism to not react in certain situations and give away penalties. You get a few chances, but if you keep on giving away penalties its back to club rugby till you learn.

It would be a brave call to sack Eddie now, but unless he can explain why England have performed so poorly this year and demonstrate what he will be doing to fix things, then he needs to go yesterday. On current form they will struggle to beat Ireland and France in the 6N, Scotland seem to be going OK and Italy just knocked over the Wallabies. So if they have a poor 6N, then what? Sack the coach a few months out from the World Cup? England are a country that has a huge player base and a massive amount of funding and resources. They should be killing it.

Series of critical articles in the Times saying that it's not a done deal that Jones will remain.

Surly there is something in the contract to do with performance? Maybe this review is actually because a low threshold has been met.

Surly there is something in the contract to do with performance? Maybe this review is actually because a low threshold has been met.
Guess it depends what the metrics are - a winning tour in Aus over the summer will certainly make it easier for EJ to save his skin regardless of the Wallabies form atm

Can't immediately find it, but pretty sure I've heard a couple of times that the RFU expectation was an 80% winning record.

Guardian also said that it understood that another target was to be in top 2 or 3 in the world by the year end.

Eddie has said many times that he doesn't want to show our hand too much before RWC next year, but I hope the review of this years performances will identify what we have in our locker that would prevent our forwards, particularly our set piece, from being beaten up the way that we were on Saturday.

Eddie has said many times that he doesn't want to show our hand too much before RWC next year, but I hope the review of this years performances will identify what we have in our locker that would prevent our forwards, particularly our set piece, from being beaten up the way that we were on Saturday.
That's nonsense though. Coaches may hide a set play or something but scrums, lineouts, penalty count, line speed, tackling etc is just basic rugby and has nothing to do with showing his hand so I doubt he can use that as an actual excuse with the RFU unless they are thick.

Yeah, hiding our general shape in attack is what he's talking about there, and maybe 1-2 killer lineout moves - and, whilst I don't like it, I can kinda accept it.
Same with the playing whilst knackered thing - I don't like it, but if that makes sense from what we see on the pitch (ala 2018), then I can kinda accept it.

But what we've seen this Autumn doesn't look like playing whilst knackered, and doesn't excuse a failure of the basics. It looks like 2-3 players who simply aren't good enough at their primary role to be in the team, another 2-3 players who are simply stupid (this could be playing knackered... if it weren't a theme for those players), and 2-3 players who seem to be playing entirely different defensive strategies to everyone else.

I really hope that the 'playing while knackered' thing isn't true. Players get injured when they're tired and there's research (which I CBA to find and link to) to prove it.
I really hope the 'not attacking in any meaningful way' thing isn't true. Having a variety of possible moves for any situation, any one of which might be used, isn't revealing too much to an opponent; what about the 'lob it to the nippy bloke on the wing and let him score using skill and pace' move?

If we're not going to go into a game fresh and keen, if we're not going to reveal any sort of attacking intent, if the games aren't important as they're not the RWC, then what exactly is the f ucking point?

I don't see why, assuming it's true, that players are being sleep deprived. I actually think the idea is sound in principle but what you should do is, at the end of a training session when people are knackered, is then do a complicated mental task or increase the complexity of an excercise to help the mind prepare for that state when you're 75 mins into a intense test match and still be about your wits. If players actually aren't getting enough sleep then that is incredibly stupid and counter productive in my view.

Same with the playing whilst knackered thing - I don't like it, but if that makes sense from what we see on the pitch (ala 2018), then I can kinda accept it.
Thing is Jones was trying to get players to find their limit and pushed past it, but he full on threw them off a cliff. How many injuries did we see in the training camps? Sometimes a limit is there for a reason.

I don't see why, assuming it's true, that players are being sleep deprived. I actually think the idea is sound in principle but what you should do is, at the end of a training session when people are knackered, is then do a complicated mental task or increase the complexity of an excercise to help the mind prepare for that state when you're 75 mins into a intense test match and still be about your wits. If players actually aren't getting enough sleep then that is incredibly stupid and counter productive in my view.
Yeah, working under fatigue is very different to not having adequate recovery time in a pro-sports environment,

If the talk of sleep deprivation is true then @Reiser99 's post above about injury rate makes a lot of sense, as good sleep is vital for recovery

I might be very wrong on this but isn't it in the question what will kills you first the lack of sleep, food or drink, the answer is actually sleep.

Like this isn't sensible for anyone to be trying without consulting the teams doctor and outside assistance.

I really hope that the 'playing while knackered' thing isn't true. Players get injured when they're tired and there's research (which I CBA to find and link to) to prove it.
I really hope the 'not attacking in any meaningful way' thing isn't true. Having a variety of possible moves for any situation, any one of which might be used, isn't revealing too much to an opponent; what about the 'lob it to the nippy bloke on the wing and let him score using skill and pace' move?

If we're not going to go into a game fresh and keen, if we're not going to reveal any sort of attacking intent, if the games aren't important as they're not the RWC, then what exactly is the f ucking point?
I'd imagine the are knackered. The NH players seem to play a shitload of rugby. When I played over there, even at club level it seemed like a long season. Pre-season games August, season starts sep through to April. You play in your league, friendlies, cup games and then when the season ends there are 7s tournaments all through May. I seem to remember having 3-4 weeks off then pre-season starts again. Club rugby over here goes from April to August. Even the top players have a few months off. The Wallabies players now won't play another game until the Super season starts beginning of March.

Latest posts