• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

The thing is we could be a great team and could do well in the WC if Jones makes some changes in selection and tactics but even if he does he didn't need to of had such a poor year or 2.

Imagine if he sacked off mako and Billy. Corrected the back row balance. Kept on JVP, kept Farrell at 10 and smith on the bench. Corrected the midfield and got some form wingers in.

That with a basic gameplan that the players actually understood and we might be right up there again.

My issue if he does that and we do perform is that there is no reason why he's wasted 2-3 years making stupid decisions.

How many more scrums did Mako have to fold in before Jones realises he can't cut it anymore for the example.

The thing is we could be a great team and could do well in the WC if Jones makes some changes in selection and tactics but even if he does he didn't need to of had such a poor year or 2.

Imagine if he sacked off mako and Billy. Corrected the back row balance. Kept on JVP, kept Farrell at 10 and smith on the bench. Corrected the midfield and got some form wingers in.

That with a basic gameplan that the players actually understood and we might be right up there again.

My issue if he does that and we do perform is that there is no reason why he's wasted 2-3 years making stupid decisions.

How many more scrums did Mako have to fold in before Jones realises he can't cut it anymore for the example.
He could never cut it in the scrum....he made up for it by being a genuinely top class player elsewhere around the park, hitting 20 + tackles, hitting insane amounts of rucks, being an attacking link man etc etc. But his game is not at that level anymore so his weakness in the scrum is enhanced...

Everyone has a price. It's just a matter of finding it.
And having both the capacity and the will to pay it.

Asking an honourable man to be dishonourable and smeer their reputation is likely to have a high price; whilst the RFU probably couldn't afford that (both financially and in terms of reputation)

And having both the capacity and the will to pay it.

Asking an honourable man to be dishonourable and smeer their reputation is likely to have a high price; whilst the RFU probably couldn't afford that (both financially and in terms of reputation)
True, but money can still talk and in pro sport contracts mean next to nothing bar amount of compensation.

Wasn't Jones with the Stormers for about 8 days before England came calling?

I'd rather see Smith at FH than Farrell, but at least if this was the selected team, I'd be able to see the idea behind it.

This is my problem with Jones; I have no idea what he is trying to do. I don't claim to be a rugby expert (I'm not), but I know enough about it to see what the experts are trying to do. If Jones's results were good, I'd have to revise downwards my opinion of my rugby knowledge.

But yeah, Mako, scrum, Springboks...

Telegraph saying Borthwick is the favourite.
IMO smacks of RFU going for the cheap option.

Excellent forwards coach. But don't get why they would go with such a green head coach.
If you're going to go with someone unproven at international level then surely go with the one who has won everything domestically in NZ. Also for me Borthwick is too close to EJ. We need a complete break from him, not just promote his former assistant who has learned mostly from Jones.

I wonder if Gatland priced himself out of the gig.

Are Conor O'Shea and Cockers still part of the backroom team? O'Shea has international experience with Italy (I'm sure many England players and EJ will remember his ruck tactics) and Cockers albeit with no international experience is a seasoned coach who made an immediate impact at Edinburgh. If they were staying internal I may have been tempted to go with one of those two.

I'm not entirely sure of the dates but feel our forwards have got worse under cockerill or certainly haven't improved.

I'm still confused who does what in the forwards since we have Proudfoot and Cockers.
I assume proidfoof (edit Proudfoot) was just the scrum but after reading the England programme (from the sa game) they are both stated as forwards coaches with no real split between them. So maybe bin both.

Also noted that the amazing wasps attack coach is working for England lol that's not worked out well

Last edited:
I assume proidfoof was just the scrum but after reading the England programme (from the sa game) they are both stated as forwards coaches with no real split between them. So maybe bin both.

Also noted that the amazing wasps attack coach is working for England lol that's not worked out well
He should definitely be referred to as proidfoof from now on.

True, but money can still talk and in pro sport contracts mean next to nothing bar amount of compensation.

Wasn't Jones with the Stormers for about 8 days before England came calling?
And Borthwick was at Bristol for a short spell

I assume proidfoof (edit Proudfoot) was just the scrum but after reading the England programme (from the sa game) they are both stated as forwards coaches with no real split between them. So maybe bin both.

I think its pretty clear at this point Blacket was the real brains in that operation.

Either that, or Eddie is such a control freak it doesnt matter who you have in that role, eddie gunnah eddie.

Latest posts