• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

Likes of Guardian and Telegraph seem to be assuming that it's a forgone conclusion.

Times not going quite that far yet, but suggesting other coaches / back room staff will walk if he stays.

Always said the books would be lively……

Robertson? Can we afford to get him now if we let EJ goes as we have to pay him off?
Probably, tbh - he's coming up from club rugby and has done multiple interviews saying he really really wants to coach internationally
I don't think we'll be having to offer him the world, though (as you say) paying out the rest of EJ's contract (if required) will be a few quid - think he's on £750k a season

Times not going quite that far yet, but suggesting other coaches / back room staff will walk if he stays.
Considering the turnover rate already I doubt that'd phase anyone - they probably don't even bother learning the coaches names at this point cause they know they'll be gone by the next international window

Probably, tbh - he's coming up from club rugby and has done multiple interviews saying he really really wants to coach internationally
I don't think we'll be having to offer him the world, though (as you say) paying out the rest of EJ's contract (if required) will be a few quid - think he's on £750k a season
Would we also have to pay Robertson out of the rest of his Crusaders contract? Or does he likely have an exit clause?

Would we also have to pay Robertson out of the rest of his Crusaders contract? Or does he likely have an exit clause?
I've seen it said that he has a break clause if offered an international HC role - though really the only people who know that in concrete terms and Robertson and the Crusaders board

Robertson's exit clause I've seen is that he can leave after the World Cup if he isn't offered the All Blacks job. Wonder if the NZRU would be willing to negotiate the buyout. I'm sure Robertson costs more than the average super rugby coach and who knows if they even want him for the all blacks job.

I'm absolutely dreading the Six Nations. I actually do rate Borthwick as a coach but throwing him into the deep end like this, if the reports are accurate, is just amateur hour from a shambles of an organisation. I've already written off the Ireland and France games and now I'd say we're underdogs in Cardiff with Gatland back. Scotland at home isn't the banker game it used to be either.

Ditching eddie for Borthwick seems like such a meh move that im not sure there will be that much of an improvement. Borthwick is an excellent forwards coach, but tigers look a shadow of themselves this year so could easily be a one year wonder as a HC, and tigers have a hell of a squad as well.

He is also pretty established with these players, you realy think a coach like that is going to come in and make the changes needed despite being part of the framework already? More likely there arent many changes in personell, bringing back odler faces if anything and going to fundamental forwards based rugby with no flair.

Eddie has been bad, but if the replacement doesnt offer anything new or a considerable upgrade in some regards whats the point.

Considering the turnover rate already I doubt that'd phase anyone - they probably don't even bother learning the coaches names at this point cause they know they'll be gone by the next international window
I think it was just pouring more fuel on the broken culture fire.

Saw somewhere a tongue in cheek (I think) suggestion that Jones could help out the Boks again through to the World Cup. In fairness I'd pay the entrance fee to see the carnage Jones and Rassie could cause together.

I think talk of Jones going to the USA or somewhere, certainly long term, are fanciful. He's been away from home for a long time and his obsession is the RWC, which he hasn't yet won as a head coach. He'll want another crack at that if remotely feasible.

isn't Rennie on his last leg? I'd imagine a rough World Cup would see him gone and maybe they go back to Jones.

Genge and Sinks should still be good for another cycle and Rodd, Stuart and Heyes will still be around. Probably bringing through another Loosehead is needed with no Mako or Marker. Maybe bring VRR short term to help with the scrum and develop young Whitcombe or maybe bring WGC in from Irish. Hookers will need revamping but keeping George around as mentor with Walker decent back up and then bringing through someone like Dolly and Riley although there are other decent young Hookers. The lock stock is very thin but Chessum, Coles and Tizard are 3 youngsters that need working with and a possible Lawes replacement in George Martin. Isiekwe,.Itoje and Ribbans the main trio of locks and Hill as a back up option. Depth and a a solid partnership need to be found The back row looks strong, you could probably do with finding different combinations like a physical, dynamic or balanced back row depending on the game but we have a ok many young back rowers.

In the backs we have four promising Scrum Half's, use them and see who is no.1. Smith should be no.10 but I'd still have Farrell as a transition player to bleed new talent like Atkinson and Fin Smith. Actually bring a proper 12; Lawrence/Kelly/Ojomoh/Anyanwu. 13 looks ok with Northmore, Dingwall and Joseph with Porter still around as backup and Slade will still be an option for a while. Wings and Fullback is an area where we need to be seeing the new generation now not just after the World Cup. A balance of flair and power and a solid 15, enough of the old guard, guys like OHC and Murley are the way forward.

Everywhere reporting Jones departure as fact now.

Although Borthwick is favourite to succeed, Tigers apparently haven't been approached yet albeit they've previously said that they wouldn't stand in his way.

I think it's too soon for Borthwick, but if he is to get the job I hope he's adult enough to surround himself with a really strong, challenging coaching team. He needs experience around him and definitely not yes men.

Robertson would want his own assistants
definitely
exactly, lets not overestimate how much money is floating around super rugby, it may not be caped exactly but all the franchises are supposed to have the same or similar budgets from NZ

Still nothing official announced but every media outlet under the sun saying that EJ has been sacked today and Borthwick is in
Such a shame for you guys that Lancaster got nabbed so early in the season....
Just wait until Farrell walks out on Ireland to return to his one true love
Irish pies just don't compare to English ones

Well it's offical now

From RFU website

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) will now conclude the long-term work it has been undertaking on coach succession planning with changes set to be announced in the near future. In the interim, Richard Cockerill will take over the day to day running of the men's performance team.
"It is important to recognise the huge contribution Eddie has made to English rugby, winning three Six Nations Championships, one Grand Slam and taking us to a Rugby World Cup Final," said RFU CEO, Bill Sweeney.
"He has the highest win ratio of any previous England head coach and has helped develop the leadership skills of many players and coaches. I am grateful to Eddie for all he has done for England across many areas of the game and the professional way in which he has approached reviewing the performance of the team. He has provided the panel with astute insight and meaningful lessons that will support the team performance going forward."
During his time in charge Jones steered England to three Six Nations ***les, including a Grand Slam in 2016, two series wins in Australia, an unbeaten run of 18 matches, an Autumn Nations Cup, and a Rugby World Cup final in Japan.
"I am pleased with much that we have achieved as an England team and I look forward to watching the team's performance in the future," said Jones. "Many of the players and I will no doubt keep in touch and I wish them all well in their future careers."
The decision for Eddie to leave was taken by the RFU board earlier today. Speaking about the decision, RFU Chair, Tom Ilube said: "The independent review panel regularly updates board on its discussions and findings. We are fully supportive of its process and recommendations."

Do you think that the fact Borthwick is English is the main reason he's got the job? Was that a big driver for the RFU? Seems a big gamble. Obviously I'm over the moon it appears you're not getting Robertson and it could turn out that Borthwick is amazing but I wouldn't be bowled over by his appointment.

Finally the last two years have been insanely painful as an England fan. I just hope anyone bought in doesn't try to continue with the same problematic players.
Do you think that the fact Borthwick is English is the main reason he's got the job? Was that a big driver for the RFU? Seems a big gamble. Obviously I'm over the moon it appears you're not getting Robertson and it could turn out that Borthwick is amazing but I wouldn't be bowled over by his appointment.
Nothing in the statement states Borthwick has the job and Cockers is interim for now but just day to day so suggests Borthwick isn't a done a deal quite yet.

Finally the last two years have been insanely painful as an England fan. I just hope anyone bought in doesn't try to continue with the same problematic players.

Nothing in the statement states Borthwick has the job and Cockers is interim for now but just day to day so suggests Borthwick isn't a done a deal quite yet.
Yeah, wary of the fact nothing has been confirms yet. Just going off the general opinion in the media that Borthwick seems to be locked in.

But yeah, reading that statement I'm not sure he is. Why would you not announce it now if he has been given it. Worried now.

Latest posts