Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Stuart Lancaster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • eddie jones

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Eddie Jones with 100%
Honestly I would go with Eddie purely cause he loves playing v Australia

He's 7 from 7 since taking over England 3 of them in Aus.

Also he knows how to get under the Aussie skin.

It will be Gregor though.

Think none of them will be good choice but gone with Jones just because he is Aussie and has the best record vs Aus as things stand.

Bold of you not to put Gatland on there

I think EJ, because he'll be off the international scene at that point - don't think (m)any unions would be happy to give their top guy a year off

I reckon Farrell senior will push hard for it, seems to be a big fan of the lions

Most likely: Gatland or EJ
Possible: Townsend or Farrell
Outside chance: Lam (/the rest)

Bold of you not to put Gatland on there

I think EJ, because he'll be off the international scene at that point - don't think (m)any unions would be happy to give their top guy a year off

I reckon Farrell senior will push hard for it, seems to be a big fan of the lions

Most likely: Gatland or EJ
Possible: Townsend or Farrell
Outside chance: Lam (/the rest)
I agree on this for all of the reasons outlined although I do think Mark McCall would be a really interesting choice. He definitely has the pedigree and I don't see him staying at Saracens forever.

Farrell Snr. can push all he likes, but unless he wins something with Ireland, he'd be a long shot.

I agree on this for all of the reasons outlined although I do think Mark McCall would be a really interesting choice. He definitely has the pedigree and I don't see him staying at Saracens forever.

Farrell Snr. can push all he likes, but unless he wins something with Ireland, he'd be a long shot.
Fair point on Farrell, but coaching the Lions doesn't seem to be as big a draw these days - someone enthusiastically pushing for it is a big plus in an age where they're having multiple guys turn them down each tour

Agree on McCall, though he's signed on at Saracens until 2025
I'm amazed the IRFU haven't chased him tbh

I don't really see a series of events that lead to Farrell getting it. If he hasn't won a 6n or reached the SF of the world cup he should be out the gap after it. I can't see the IRFU letting him leave to do it either.

Short of winning the world cup and the IRFU giving into his demands to coach the lions I don't see it happening. And that's not really within the realms of possibility.

by 2025 Farrell will have been fired by Ireland rugby for not making the quarters of the RWC and have joined Sarries to replace Mccall

Eddie.
He'll be done with England by then (increasingly important IMO), loves playing against Australia, and is great at taking a team from nothing and having an immediate impact.

Gregor and Pat as assistants and making their play for the 2029 gig

Surprised at the love for Eddie given his love of Farrell jnr and playing players out of position.

The Lions board may be reluctant to give the gig to someone with zero prior Lions experience. I think succession planning is already in play and Gregor is the chosen one provided he can kick on with Scotland.

Here's my thing with Townsend
1. What did he actually do this tour?
He either 1. Was for Gatlands game plan, 2. Wasn't strong enough to say what we should do. Neither a great plus.

2. Basing a future succession on a coach whose record is,
1 Pro 14 win in 2015
Not making out of the pool stages in his only RWC so far and finishing 3rd in his first six nations as head coach (followed by 5th and 2 4th's)
IMO that's pretty flawed.

He can obviously improve on that, but if you was to say to me which of those coaches should be head coach come 2025 based on experience so far and likely results I would say it's eddie.

Here's my thing with Townsend
1. What did he actually do this tour?
He either 1. Was for Gatlands game plan, 2. Wasn't strong enough to say what we should do. Neither a great plus.

2. Basing a future succession on a coach whose record is,
1 Pro 14 win in 2015
Not making out of the pool stages in his only RWC so far and finishing 3rd in his first six nations as head coach (followed by 5th and 2 4th's)
IMO that's pretty flawed.

He can obviously improve on that, but if you was to say to me which of those coaches should be head coach come 2025 based on experience so far and likely results I would say it's eddie.

Or 3. He put forward his ideas and Gatland chose to ignore him and stick to his own dull conservative tactics. I just know Townsend wouldn't have had Murray and Biggar as his 9 and 10.

It's a bit of a pointless thread TBH as the appointment won't be confirmed for another three years and it's all about what happens between now and then in the next three 6Ns and the RWC.

Or 3. He put forward his ideas and Gatland chose to ignore him and stick to his own dull conservative tactics. I just know Townsend wouldn't have had Murray and Biggar as his 9 and 10.

It's a bit of a pointless thread TBH as the appointment won't be confirmed for another three years and it's all about what happens between now and then in the next three 6Ns and the RWC.

The good thing about the lions is dirty laundry does seem to actually get aired in a year or two so we should at least know.

Wonder who'll be the one to spill the beans this time?

Can see Russell blabbing, he's no love for rugby authorities

I'm going Gatland.

4 more years! 4 more years! 4 more years! (Yes I know it's 3)

The good thing about the lions is dirty laundry does seem to actually get aired in a year or two so we should at least know.

It'll likely be someone who knows they won't tour again and also wasn't a fan of Gatland.

I have heard a couple of former players say that Gatland is very hands off on Lions tours and just leaves everything to the coaches which surprised me. He leads the coaches meetings, does the pre and post match media as well as the odd address to the players.

Last edited:

Latest posts