Reserves
16.Ole Avei
17.Logovii Mulipola
18.Filipo Levi
19.Maurie Faasavalu
20.Uale Mai
21.Tasesa Lavea
22.Timoteo Iosua

This is the official team listing for Samoas opening roung. The rest of the lineups for the first round of the PNC Ive listed in the PNC squads thread. As I thought a mix of experiance with some of the new capped players starting (Ezra Taylor, Lualua Va'aloaloa, Tusi Pisi and James So'oialo) and on the bench (Ole Avei). Glad to see Maurie Fa'asavalu make his return for the Manu. Wouldve preffered him to start but Im just glad to see him back to union, and back to his roots playing for Samoa. Should be a good first round. Come Saturday Im going to stay clear of these forums to avoid spoiling, as ill be catching the game Tuesday on delay.

Wow this team looks really good, The forward pack is awesome only person missing is Henry Tuilagi. Like to see how Ezra Taylor will go. Maurie Fa'asavalu back in there is a huge bonus. I am really excited and looking forward to the game and the world cup. Any reason why Sapolu is not in there? I am not a big fan of Timoteo Iosua. Hopefully we can thrash the japanese. This is the first time i've seen a really good starting lineup. Hopefully the new guys can step up and show why they were picked. Go Manu.

Good luck to Manu Samoa. A strong team to start the season. Plenty of firepower in the back line. Look forward to seeing how James So'oialo goes. I wonder if he'll take the shots at goal. Suppose to be a good kicker and has a big boot on him. Nice to see Ezra Taylor get a start. Another line out option with Leo and Tekori. Like you Aucklander, I'm not a big fan of Timoteo Iosua. Has pace and a good step but just hasn't performed that well for Manu in 15s. Nice to see Va'aloloa get his chance. Was in the Crusaders wider squad a few seasons ago but seemed to slip from the radar.

I guess a few players are resting like Henry Tuilagi, Sapolu, Polu, Johnston, Paul Williams as well as those who played Super Rugby - Schwalger, Leiua, Tuifua, Fotuali'i not to forget Travaranus, Faosiliva, Fualau, Thompson, Fili .... Plenty of depth it's just a matter of getting the right mix.

Go hard boys!!

MANU SAMOA lineup vs Japan
1. Sakaria Taulafo (28, Wasps, 8 caps)
2. Tii Paulo (28, Clermont, 2 caps)
3. Anthony Perenise (28, Bath, 7 caps)
4. Iosefa Tekori (27, Castres, 16 caps)
5. Daniel Leo (28, Bordeaux-Bègles, 23 caps)
6. Ezra Taylor (28, Connacht, Uncapped)
7. Manaia Salave'a (25, Narbonne, 5 caps)
Taiasina Tuifu'a (26, Chiefs, Uncapped)
9. Lualua Vailoaloa (Melbourne Rebels, 1 cap)
10. Tusi Pisi (29, Suntory Sungoliath, Uncapped)
11. Alesana Tuilagi (30, Leicester, 21 caps)
12. Seilala Mapusua (31, Kubota Spears, 17 caps)
13. George Pisi (25, Northampton, 5 caps)
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau (28, London Irish, 15 caps)
15. James Sooialo (22, Wellington, Uncapped)

Reserves
16. Wayne Ole Avei (28, Bordeaux-Bègles, Uncapped)
17. Logovii Mulipola (24, Apia, 2 caps)
18. Filipo Lavea Levi (31, Unattached, 20 caps)
19. Maurie Faasavalu (31, Harlequins, 7 caps)
20. Uale Ma'i (32, El Salvador, 13 caps)
21. Tasesa Lavea (30, Sale, 3 caps)
22. Timoteo Iosua (24, Auckland, 1 cap)

1 change to the lineup Taiasina Tuifu'a replaces George Stowers at 8

Taiasina Tuifu’a (26, Chiefs, Uncapped)
1 change to the lineup Taiasina Tuifu'a replaces George Stowers at 8
Where did you find that they made the change? According to the official teamsheets from Oceaniarugby.com Stowers was named the official starter at number 8.

Where did you find that they made the change? According to the official teamsheets from Oceaniarugby.com Stowers was named the official starter at number 8.

the official team sheets have been changed, and Tuifu'a came in for Stowers who must be injured or something

Travelling Reserves to Fiji:-
Mahonri Schwalger, Census Johnston, Jonathon Faamatuainu, Ray Ofisa, Afa Aiono, Ofisa Treviranus, Herman Porter, Brenton Helleur, Faatonu Fili, Fautua Otto, David Lemi, James Johnston.

can you tell me what the "Travelling Reserves to Fiji" are doing? are they playing or are they just training with the squad?

also can you tell me whether players in the squad for the Pacific Nations Cup are also added to the Rugby World Cup preliminary squad which was named earlier, would James So'oialo, Lua Vailoaloa and Afa Aiono now be added to the RWC squad?

Edit: does anybody know where the players listed below who are in the 54 man World Cup preliminary squad are injured/dropped/unavailable/rested?

Henry Tuilagi
Alafoti Fa'osiliva
Steve Fualau
Alapati Leiua
Ahsee Tuala
Sinoti Sinoti
Chris Slade
Roger Warren
Steve Fualau
Thomas Tusitala
Mikaele Tuu'u
Na'ama Leleimalefaga
Kas Lealamanu'a

Kahn Fotuali'i - unavailable
Junior Poluleuligaga - unavailable
Anitele'a Tuilagi - injured

Last edited:
Anitelea Tuilagi broke his arm in the second to last game of the season, so he could be out due to that (not sure how bad of a break it was/how long he was expected to be out for)

Your right Psychic duck according to Tagicakibaus twitter Stowers is injured. Will be interesting to see how Tuifua performes on debut.The traveling reserves to Fiji will probably get game time when the Samoans play their 2 PNC games there. I guess trying to cut costs by not taking players who are not going to get game time.Not sure what the situations are for the various players listed, but I'm sure some of these players are still in contention for RWC selection. I can't imagine the Henry Tuilagi missing out selection if he is healthy. Anitelia Tuilagi, Alafoti Faosiliva, Alipate Leiua and Junior Poluleuligaga should also probably make the final squad. The other players listed will have to fight to find their spot in the the Samoa RWC squad.

Junior Poluleuligaga his club wont let him play for samoa, soo hes out . He not playing for samoa .

I think clubs should NEVER be allowed to get away with that...I know it's up to the players to read the fine print and sign the contracts but this is DISGRACEFUL !

polu lady gaga will be release coming wc, irb will fine any clubs if they refuse... August is the release month for all the international players...

Our Scrum - 3/10
Was considerably weaker compared with the EOYT.
Sakaria Taulafo is to blame, and perhaps the absence of Mahonri Schwalger was another factor.
Nevertheless the scrum needs serious work if Samoa is to let Kahn Fotuali'i and the #8 get decent ball.
Perhaps Taulafo needs some lessons or a better scrummager can take his place.

-----------------------

Our Lineout - 6/10
Ti'i Paulo threw all the balls straight so if any were lost it came down to the jumpers.
We stole a couple of lineout balls so that was a merit to our lineout.
Not a bad performance considering Kane Thompson was not playing.

----------------------

Our Loose-trio - 6.5/10
Ezra Taylor, while he made his tackles, was poor with ball in hand. If he can fix his all round game he is a possible starter.
Salavea worked hard but needs to align himself with IRB rules regarding the ruck area. Scored a try and has all but secured his spot as a starter.

Tuifua is possibly the most mobile #8 we have at the moment. He was quick to find a gap and made huge gains every time with ball in hand. Its a shame because #8 is one of Samoa's strongest areas with world-class Henry Tuilagi and workhorse George Stowers in the mix.
Perhaps a way to include Tuifua, if he continues to impress, would be to move George Stowers to #6 and Tuifua to come off the bench for Tuilagi. This option could leave gaping holes in defense.

Fa'asavalu needs more game time, but as far as im concerned he is an impact player at best.

----------------------------------------
Our halves - 6.5/10
Vailoaloa played well but will struggle to usurp Uale Mai and Junior Polu for the bench position.
Tusi Pisi was alright but needs to work on his tactical kicking and needs take on the defensive line more often.
Uale Mai showed his vision and continues to be our second-choice halfback.
Tasesa Lavea has never impressed me and didn't get the chance to do so this game.

-----------------------------------
Centres 7/10
George Pisi had a very good game, setting up a try and scoring one himself.
He did well in defense and I think he will be our starting #13 for Wales despite an array of players to choose from for the midfield.
Maps had a slow start but showed his leadership and set up a great try for Pisi.

----------------------------------

Back Three - 7.5/10
Tuilagi scored twice and did as much as he could on defense.
Tagi had a high work rate and did as much as he could with what ball he had.
So'oialo is our best kicker and impressed with his overall play.

-----------------
-----------------

Total Team Score - 6.1/10

Malo bonifidehamo...
Great article and very spot on with your review of Samoas performance. Few things need work but Im sure can be fixed with more gametime. Scrum did take a tumble since the EOYT, but I dont know if it was entirely Taulafos fault. He is probably the best scrummager we have at loosehead so to me he remains our starter. The lineout wasnt too great and as Ive stated in the past Thompson and Levi are our best options in the lineout. I know everyone including myself thinks Tekori is the better PLAYER overall and is very dangerous in the loose...but come the matches vs the tier 1 nations at the RWC, it is detirmental that our lineout is as best as we can make it as they will target exposing us there. If we cant find another viable and good lineout option that can fit in the loose trio (Taylor or Tuifua maybe), then Tekori is better coming off the bench as an impact player with Thompson and Levi starting ....as much as it pains me to have a man of his talent wasted on the bench. Dan Leo I think wasted a prescious oppurtunity to rise in our 2nd row depth chart. He needs to do better in the lineout if he wants to see more gametime. Competition is tight in the 2nd row and the loose trio and I think players who get given the oppurtunity in those positions in the next two months better make the most of it if they want to book a trip to the RWC.
The backline was pretty close to full strength and the experianced players played relatively well, but for most though it was little James So'oialo who stole the show. As i said before Paul Williams will still remain our permanent starter at fullback bar injury, but So'oialo is only 22 and his time will come with experiance. He should make the final world cup squad though as back up and insurance if Paul Williams goes down and could find himself a bench spot come the big games at the RWC.

Last edited:
Tasesa Lavea has never impressed me and didn't get the chance to do so this game.

why do so many people hate Lavea?

I think he did quite well in the Autumn internationals in combination with Fotuali'i in November, and when I've seen him play for Clermont he's always done ok, and he kept Carlos Spencer out of the Blues side for the 2005 season, and has been a starter for about three super rugby seasons which is more top level rugby experience than any other Samoan fly halves (Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili)

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world or anywhere near it but since fly half has always been a weaker position for Samoa (Fuimaono-Sapolu was awful there in the RWC 2007) Samoan fans should be grateful Lavea is available, he is far better than any other options

16773.2.jpg

why do so many people hate Lavea?

I think he did quite well in the Autumn internationals in combination with Fotuali'i in November, and when I've seen him play for Clermont he's always done ok, and he kept Carlos Spencer out of the Blues side for the 2005 season, and has been a starter for about three super rugby seasons which is more top level rugby experience than any other Samoan fly halves (Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili)

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world or anywhere near it but since fly half has always been a weaker position for Samoa (Fuimaono-Sapolu was awful there in the RWC 2007) Samoan fans should be grateful Lavea is available, he is far better than any other options

16773.2.jpg
Psychic duck, once again I for one agree with you. He has his critics as do all of Samoas first fives, But to me himself and T Pisi are their better options. I have always liked Lavea (even when he was at his worst playing in New Zealand) and I am greatful that he has put his hand up finally to play for the Manu samoa. Fa'atonu Fili talent wise is better then both Lavea and T Pisi, that is though only when he can play to his potential. It would be very hard though as a selector to trust him to play at his best though which will probably see him out of much gametime at the RWC if he is to make the final squad.