• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MANU SAMOA squad for the 2011 PNC

(Fuimaono-Sapolu was awful there in the RWC 2007)
I disagree, he hasnt always been awful at first five. He has twice been man of the match in his limited oppurtunies playing for Samoa at that position one of which was at the 2007 RWC (albeit against USA). Not the greatest kicker but he can be a creative playmaker.

Havnt seen much of Fuimaono Sapolu at 1st 5 cept for his games against the Springboks in 2007 and Ithink against Tonga in 2008. Creative playmaker, but will need to play behind a dominant pack. Players like Spencer who by the way had a better kicking game than Sapolu looked ordinary behind a beaten pack. I love the way Sapolu plays, and at this level ( PNC ) with a dominant pack I wouldnt mind seein Sapolu there

Tasesa Lavea im sorry to say is overated ask any Aucklander, Tasesa Lavea didnt keep Carlos Spencer on the bench with Talent. Spencer had a falling out with Peter Sloane and the Blues. 2006 would be the year every Aucklander was going for the Chiefs. Like the EOYT last yr Lavea struggles to give his side decent field position, hes never had a strong boot and cant relieve pressure. Samoa could use Williams as a clearance kicker though.

why do so many people hate Lavea?

I think he did quite well in the Autumn internationals in combination with Fotuali'i in November, and when I've seen him play for Clermont he's always done ok, and he kept Carlos Spencer out of the Blues side for the 2005 season, and has been a starter for about three super rugby seasons which is more top level rugby experience than any other Samoan fly halves (Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili)

I'm not saying he's the best player in the world or anywhere near it but since fly half has always been a weaker position for Samoa (Fuimaono-Sapolu was awful there in the RWC 2007) Samoan fans should be grateful Lavea is available, he is far better than any other options

16773.2.jpg

Lavea did play 30 games of Super Rugby, but that didn't mean he played well in these games. He was poor when he played for the Blues, and the only time he played to a reasonable standard was when he played second-five for the Chiefs. He showed a very limited ability to control a game at first-five (as IKALETAKI mentioned) largely due to his poor kicking game. If his team was stuck in their 22 his common method of attempting to relieve the pressure was to do a chip kick!

Unfortunately hehttp://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/member.php?40455-IKALETAHI may be the best of a limited bunch for Samoa; Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili run far too hot and cold, and Pisi doesn't have a particularly big boot on him in any case. Luckily Lavea's inability to control the game will be somewhat masked by Fotuali'i, who likes to control the game from halfback, and does possess a strong box-kicking game. The other option is to play Fotuali'i at 10 outside Poluleuligaga, which is something I think they should genuinely consider.

Team for Fiji

1. Simon Lemalu
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. ??
4. Daniel Leo
5. Filipo Levi
6. ??
7. Maurie Fa'asavalu
8. Taisina Tuifua
9. Uale Mai
10. Tasesa Lavea
11. David Lemi
12. Eliota Sapolu
13. Jonny Leota
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul Williams

16. Anthony Perenise
17. Ti'i Paulo
19. Vailoaloa

Those are the names that I can remember. Heard it on the radio so can't remember every single name but the actual starting XV is exactly that one; just missing a few players.

Lavea did play 30 games of Super Rugby, but that didn't mean he played well in these games. He was poor when he played for the Blues, and the only time he played to a reasonable standard was when he played second-five for the Chiefs. He showed a very limited ability to control a game at first-five (as IKALETAKI mentioned) largely due to his poor kicking game. If his team was stuck in their 22 his common method of attempting to relieve the pressure was to do a chip kick!

Unfortunately he may be the best of a limited bunch for Samoa; Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili run far too hot and cold, and Pisi doesn't have a particularly big boot on him in any case. Luckily Lavea's inability to control the game will be somewhat masked by Fotuali'i, who likes to control the game from halfback, and does possess a strong box-kicking game. The other option is to play Fotuali'i at 10 outside Poluleuligaga, which is something I think they should genuinely consider.

He was much hated in Auckland and this is his chance to redeem himself in front of an Auckland crowd.
More importantly he is representing Samoa so I hope he can lift his game and play to his strengths. Obviously he has no tactical kicking game or boot to match so that is what worries me most.

The lineup isn't to bad. However I am not a big fan of David Lemi. Hopefully Alapati Leiua recovers in time for the world cup. Does anyone know when Henry Tuilagi will be back??

The lineup isn't to bad. However I am not a big fan of David Lemi. Hopefully Alapati Leiua recovers in time for the world cup. Does anyone know when Henry Tuilagi will be back??

I just saw Leiua has been named in the Wellington lineup for a pre-season ITM Cup match against Canterbury - I think it will be his first game back from injury.

Thats why we need Cencus back... Will solidify our scrum... I really want us to pulverize the Fijians this week!

I hope it will be either Cencus or James johnston getting some gametime at tight head if not I think it will be Logovi'i Mulipola. I think we should be able to assert our authority come scrum time as the Fijian pack is understrength and looking a little weak atm. This is the Fijian team named today. Not their strongest looking team and Im sure of this team, maybe eight of them would have a chance in a first choice world cup selection. With no disrespect to the fijians or the fijian posters here I expect a win for Samoa and no less.

1. Campese Ma'afu
2. Talemaitoga Tuapati
3. Deacon Manu (c)
4. Sekonaia Kalou
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rupeni Nasiga
7. Malakai Ravulo
8. Sakiusa Matadigo
9. Nemia Serelevu
10. Nicky Little
11. Vereniki Goneva
12. Ravai Fatiaki
13. Albert Vulivuli
14. Ilikena Bolakoro
15. Taniela Rawaqa

Reserves
16. Viliame Veikoso
17. Penijamini Makutu
18. Josefa Domolailai
19. Malakai Volau
20. Vitori Buatava
21. Waisea Luveniyali
22. Adriu Delai

I hope it will be either Cencus or James johnston getting some gametime at tight head if not I think it will be Logovi'i Mulipola. I think we should be able to assert our authority come scrum time as the Fijian pack is understrength and looking a little weak atm. This is the Fijian team named today. Not their strongest looking team and Im sure of this team, maybe eight of them would have a chance in a first choice world cup selection. With no disrespect to the fijians or the fijian posters here I expect a win for Samoa and no less.

1. Campese Ma'afu
2. Talemaitoga Tuapati
3. Deacon Manu (c)
4. Sekonaia Kalou
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rupeni Nasiga
7. Malakai Ravulo
8. Sakiusa Matadigo
9. Nemia Serelevu
10. Nicky Little
11. Vereniki Goneva
12. Ravai Fatiaki
13. Albert Vulivuli
14. Ilikena Bolakoro
15. Taniela Rawaqa

Reserves
16. Viliame Veikoso
17. Penijamini Makutu
18. Josefa Domolailai
19. Malakai Volau
20. Vitori Buatava
21. Waisea Luveniyali
22. Adriu Delai

That winger with the blonde hair is not included, forgot his name. Despite getting burnt by Iongi he seems to make easy metres using his speed and big frame. He will be one of the dangers that Samoa will encounter come September 25th that are not included in this 22.

The same can be said about Samoa's lineup. Missing heaps of starters but should be too strong for Fiji.

That winger with the blonde hair is not included, forgot his name. Despite getting burnt by Iongi he seems to make easy metres using his speed and big frame. He will be one of the dangers that Samoa will encounter come September 25th that are not included in this 22.

The same can be said about Samoa's lineup. Missing heaps of starters but should be too strong for Fiji.
that was Timoci Nagusa. Not to take anything from Iongi but he was relatively quiet for most of the day until that moment. Nagusa had been working hard all day and looked tired as you could see when he was in pursuit of a fresher Iongi. I assume he will be in the RWC fold for Fiji but they're probably giving him a break for the time being. Beside wing is a position Fiji have an abundance with their depth and talent.

Yeah very disappointing. Serge Lilo I thought was another who made himself eligible for Samoa but isn't in the fold. Very disappointing the lack of commitment to the cause from the super rugby players based in New Zealand who could be eligible but chose club over country. I thought being their one and only oppurtunity of ever playing a RWC on home soil would be a big enough carrot to dangle and lure even a few of these players but I guess I thought wrong.

Last edited:
I just read an article on Leiua saying that he has not accepted the offer to play for Manu Samoa at this years World Cup. Don't know why the samoa website had his name down for the training squad. See full story on the following URL.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/5252977/Leiua-happy-to-be-in-the-action-for-Lions

Hopefully we get a few more players on our side in time for the world cup.
As I said I would've thought being the one and only opportunity to play a RWC on home soil in front of family and loved ones would be enough to lure some of these players but I guess I thought wrong. While I respect and appreciate those choosing to do what they feel is best for themselves and their families. Its a real letdown for us Samoan supporters who appreciate those who choose to sacrifice all for the chance to represent Manu Samoa out of pride and love of our country. In saying that TAIASINA TUIFUA, EZRA TAYLOR, OLE AVEI, LUA VAILOALOA, TUSI PISI, JOHNNY LEOTA, JAMES SO'OIALO and the rest of the MANU SAMOA team...fafetaii lava for making the sacrifice and showing that blood and pride in your country is thicker than money.

Team has been named for the match vs Fiji. Quite a few changes as Samoa is still testing out players to get the right mix in selection for the final RWC squad. Lemalu, Schwalger, Stowers, Lemi, Leota, Fuimaono-Sapolu, P williams brought into the team to start with Treviranus brought in on the bench. Mulipola, Levi, Fa'asavalu, Mai and Lavea are switched from the bench to start with Paulo, Perenise, Taylor, Vailoaloa, T.Pisi and So'oialo now on the bench. Taulafo, Tekori, Salevea, G Pisi, Mapasua, Tuilagi,
Samoa lineup for the match vs Fiji
1. SIMON LEMALU

2. MAHONRI SCHWALGER (C)

3. LOGOVII MULIPOLA

4. FILIPO LEVI

5. DANIEL LEO

6. GEORGE STOWERS

7. MAURIE FA'ASAVALU

8. TAIASINA TUIFU'A

9. UALE MA'I

10. TASESA LAVEA

11. DAVID LEMI

12. ELIOTA FUIMAONO SAPOLU

13. JOHNNY LEOTA

14. SAILOSI TAGICAKIBAU

15. PAUL WILLIAMS

16. TI'I PAULO

17. ANTHONY PERENISE

18. EZRA TAYLOR

19. OFISA TREVIRANUS

20. LUALUA VAILOALOA

21. TUSI PISI

22. JAMES SO'OIALO

Malo boys and girls..yeah I read that artcile earlier this morning..disappointed, but lets not cry over those guys who lack the vision to see that the Manu is a team on the rise..look at the November tour last year.

I'm of the view that a lot of the hamo boys here in NZ are being sold the black jersey story from early on in their careers - so you have to stay loyal and chase it. Some chase it and do well in the AB jersey, while others play sevens, or one or two tests as an AB and that's it. Look at guys like Kevin Senio, Sosene Anesi and David Smith (Can't name any others but you guys can help me out). I hate seeing the Manu get guys at the twilight of their careers and they are past it when they pull on the blue jersey - look at Loki Chrichton. He was below-par for Manu, stayed in NZ for too long in hopes of an ABs jersey - he would've been a star had he changed when he was 25,26,27 not 30,31 lol

Yes, playing for the Manu will limit your options to play in NZ, Australia and maybe even S.A but rugby is a global market and the real coin, as we all know, is in Europe and Japan.

Look at guys like Seilala Mapusua, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Census Johnston, Daniel Leo etc - these guys are examples of the modern-day Manu player. Play in Europe, double your Super Rugby contract, in some cases triple it) and look after your famalies back in Samoa or Aus, or NZ. At the same time and the most important aspect (in my eyes anyway) is that they are looking to boost the status of the Manu on the world stage. (Although, as an athlete NZ rugby is the best brand of football in the world - so the aspect of a challenge would keep players here. On the otherhand the respective European league are improving markedly and arguably could put up an argument as being on par with Super Rugby).

I know what I've said is an old point - but the moral of story is that the Manu really need to do well at this year's RWC to make these guys on the fence jump off and put their load in with the Samoa. I take my hat off to Kahn Fotuali'i and George Pisi who made the change - these guys will still be around at the RWC in 2015.

It's important that we make it our best campaign in history so hamo kids in Australia, New Zealand and in SAMOA play for the Manu. We may not be able to compete with other countries by offering any top-ups on their club contracts but we can say to hamo boys - Play for the Manu - get a contract in Europe - get some exposure at international level - play at a RWC - improve your stock as a club player to an international player - get paid more money than you have ever seen before by European and Japanese clubs.

I feel for our hamo boys who play sevens early in there careers and never hit the heights which they are touted to achieve e.g David Smith who misses out HUGELY on contributing to Samoa as serious international rugby contender. The kid is born in Samoa, goes to MAGS for one year, can't speak English, plays a season of sevens and is now plying his trade in Perth for the W.Force and will soon be in Toulon. He's only 25, what a waste of talent for Samoa! I've been told he would love to wear the blue of the Manu, but he knows he will never play international rugby in his life after appearing for NZ in the sevens comp. Sold the dream at a young age.

Samoa has the potential for big things - just got to make our boys see that the Blue does have benefits which outweight the the Black or the Green and Gold for that matter.