• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa V New Zealand July 8th 2015

Andy Ellis currently is not a test level player

And it's my opinion and that your opinion makes you sound like a 50 year old conservative women.

Real talk;

Dagg will be dropped and Jane has question marks.

Naholo to start vs Argentina?

Izzy Dagg is at low level long time ago but he's like the Kurtley Beale of NZ. Coaches always find a reason to keep him on the squad

Last edited:
I don't know how SBW is a 'game changer' over someone like Fekitoa...

Fekitoa is probably the more likely to score an incredible solo try. It used to maybe apply more to his offload game, but even that has been more aimless..

And it's my opinion and that your opinion makes you sound like a 50 year old conservative women.

Shut up you ***. You wanna pour your money away on betting on sports, that's your prerogative. Don't start bringing politics into it; it has nothing to do with it and dissing my opinion.

guys need to realize that there is only room for like 13-14 backs in a world cup squad, likely 13. It's tight as hell.

factor in that there will likely be 3 halfbacks and 3 10's (carter, Slade, Barrett) things are going to be very tight for the midfield and outside backs.

versatility is king and players like Slade, Barrett, Ben Smith are key. Other players will need to be able to cover, I expect SBW may get a run on the wing.

There is bugger all room for guys like Crotty, Fekitoa, Piutau, Skudder, Jane, Dagg, Naholo to fight over. Guys that should be there will miss out, and will be on injury standby outside the squad.

At this stage, with the impressive new talent we have it's looking more and more likely that Dagg & Jane's spots are under serious threat.

Seriously at this stage there is just no room for Crotty or Fekitoa, AB regulars over the last couple of years but unless there is an injury their chances are slim. People continue to under rate SBW, he is in a bit of a form dip but he will be there and he can up his game to another level when needed.

Shadow WC backs, if you want someone in you gotta drop someone out.
9, Smith, Perenara, TKB
10, Carter, Barrett, Slade
midfield: Nonu, Smith, SBW,
outsides: Smith, Savea, naholo, Skudder

versatility is key...
carter can play 10-12
barrett can play 10,wing & 15
slade can play 10, wing & 15
SBW can play 12 & wing, expect him to have a run on the wing at some stage.
Ben Smith can play anywhere 12-15
Skudder can play 14 & 15

I think they will take 17 forwards and 14 backs with the make up being:

5 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 loosies

3 halfbacks
3 first fives
4 centres
4 outside backs

Looking at the backs:
9. Smith, 21. TJ, SQ: Kerr- Barlow, injury: unfortunately appears as if its Ellis as Weber is being omitted from training squad and Ellis is staying on until Kerr- Barlow is back.
10. Carter, 22. Barrett, SQ: Slade, injury: Sopoaga
11. Savea, injury: Moala
12. Nonu, 23. SBW
13. Smith, SQ: Fekitoa, injury: Crotty
14. Naholo, injury: Skuddler
15. Smith, SQ: Piutau, injury: Dagg

Skuddler reminds me of andre taylor, probably the most dangerous player in super rugby at a point who was invited to all blacks training squads however never made the final cut, as one solid SR season wasn't enough to push out the likes of established players at the time such as hosea gear, kahui, cory jane, toeava, israel dagg, muliaina so close to the 2011 WC.

Why drop a player like Piutau who has never had a sub par game in the black jersey for Skuddler, an x factor excitement machine, in a world cup year??
Piutau we know will make his tackles, we know will get over the advantage line, we know will be great under the high ball, we know will have a massive handy punt, we know can do the job at 11, 14, 15 and even 13 if need be.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Shut up you ***. You wanna pour your money away on betting on sports, that's your prerogative. Don't start bringing politics into it; it has nothing to do with it and dissing my opinion.

How's the menopause bro? And please get out off the thread you irrelevant knob.

@Larksea There's plenty of room for Piutau and Fekitoa in the 13 backs I named.

There's no way those 2 are not going. Both them have been outstanding, especially Fekitoa this season. He will be favoured over SBW.

Naholo is really the only unlikely player to miss out in place of Dagg or Jane if he doesn't show up in the RC when given the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop the insults and name calling please people - or posts get deleted.

I think they will take 17 forwards and 14 backs with the make up being:

5 props
3 hookers
4 locks
5 loosies

3 halfbacks
3 first fives
4 centres
4 outside backs

Looking at the backs:
9. Smith, 21. TJ, SQ: Kerr- Barlow, injury: unfortunately appears as if its Ellis as Weber is being omitted from training squad and Ellis is staying on until Kerr- Barlow is back.
10. Carter, 22. Barrett, SQ: Slade, injury: Sopoaga
11. Savea, injury: Moala
12. Nonu, 23. SBW
13. Smith, SQ: Fekitoa, injury: Crotty
14. Naholo, injury: Skuddler
15. Smith, SQ: Piutau, injury: Dagg

Skuddler reminds me of andre taylor, probably the most dangerous player in super rugby at a point who was invited to all blacks training squads however never made the final cut, as one solid SR season wasn't enough to push out the likes of established players at the time such as hosea gear, kahui, cory jane, toeava, israel dagg, muliaina so close to the 2011 WC.

Why drop a player like Piutau who has never had a sub par game in the black jersey for Skuddler, an x factor excitement machine, in a world cup year??
Piutau we know will make his tackles, we know will get over the advantage line, we know will be great under the high ball, we know will have a massive handy punt, we know can do the job at 11, 14, 15 and even 13 if need be.

Happy to be proved wrong.

Andre Taylor would have been an AB had he not got injured spent most of a year out and most of another year trying to rediscover his form before eventually going overseas. the landscape is different now because Dagg and Jane are both under performing there are openings to be taken.

It is true Piutau is a safer option, but given the fact he's going overseas close selection calls will go against him.

I dont nessacarily believe Elis is ahead of Weber, I think Weber is going to be in the Maori Game so he will still have eyes on him.

I think the fact the WC is in the UK will impact squad makeup. It will be a forward orientated WC given the conditions there. 5 loosies means there is not two full packs for training and only 1 loosie for injury cover, and i really believe that the coahes need to and will look to manage the workload of McCaw, Kaino & Read. 18/13 split is likely.

I don't believe there's any evidence to suggest Piutau's choice of leaving after the RWC is going to hinder his selection. There's many players leaving after RWC, Kaino did the same after 2011.

Piutau will be picked, he's been great for the All Blacks and simply giving him the cold shoulder because he's leaving is just a hunch people have come to because Hansen voiced a bit of disappointment when he made the decision. He will be in the squad, he's been in the 2 year plan and is still in good form.

I don't believe there's any evidence to suggest Piutau's choice of leaving after the RWC is going to hinder his selection. There's many players leaving after RWC, Kaino did the same after 2011.

Piutau will be picked, he's been great for the All Blacks and simply giving him the cold shoulder because he's leaving is just a hunch people have come to because Hansen voiced a bit of disappointment when he made the decision. He will be in the squad, he's been in the 2 year plan and is still in good form.

'Kaino did the same after 2011.", exactly.......he played in Japan.

Hate to admit it Kiwi, but you're right. I can't wait to see Brodie play. When it comes down to Kaino, Reid, Vito, McCaw, the list goes on etc. My concern is our hooker.

Loose play we're covered but we'll see how our forward play against the Pumas will give us any indication whether we're tracking or not and Woodcock, Melamu, Crockett etc etc aint going to cut the mustard let alone the Franks.

S15 and playing Samoa aren't anywhere near the forwards like the Pumas. We'll find out after this game

Edmonds and Hohneck would be better than Tony and Franks. Seriously.

It will play out like this in the outside backs;

9.A.Smith. Bench. TJ. 3rd string. TKB 4. Weber
10.D.Carter Bench. Barrett 3rd string. Slade 4th Sopoanga
11.J.Savea Bench. Naholo 3rd string Jane 4th Moala
12.C.Smith Bench Fekitoa 3rd string Crotty
13.M.Nonu Bench SBW 3rd string Crotty
14.C.Piutau Bench Naholo 3rd string Jane 4th Moala
15.B.Smith Bench Dagg 3rd string Skudder.

Now if I had it my way, Dagg would be dropped for Skudder. Hansen might chance his arm and do it, but probably not. But Ben is nailed at 15.
Naholo if he plays well might take the wing spot from Piutau.

18/13 split in the 31 RWC squad.

13 backs will be;

1.A.Smith
2.TJ Peranara
3.D.Carter
4.B.Barrett
5.C.Slade
6.C.Smith
7.M.Nonu
8.M.Fekitoa
9.SBW
10.J.Savea
11.C.Piutau
12.W.Naholo
13.B.Smith

Piutau comfortable at FB/Wing if you're worried about FB depth same with Barrett and Slade.

You have to take 3 halfbacks. A. Smith will need to be rested against the minnows and if an injury happened within 48 hours of a test match you could not fly over a replacement.

You have to take 3 halfbacks. A. Smith will need to be rested against the minnows and if an injury happened within 48 hours of a test match you could not fly over a replacement.

The 10 injury extensions are staying home? We might have to check that one. Surely they will be able to travel with the 31 squad, or be in the country at the time.

If injury crisis was to happen, I doubt we would be flying in players from NZ within 48 hours. It's stupid. Where as the NH players are in the UK.

The 10 injury extensions are staying home? We might have to check that one. Surely they will be able to travel with the 31 squad, or be in the country at the time.

If injury crisis was to happen, I doubt we would be flying in players from NZ within 48 hours. It's stupid. Where as the NH players are in the UK.

There is a stand down period. You can't just call players in on a whim. If someone gets injured within the stand down period which I believe is 48 hours then you can't replace them.

I do not believe any team has ever had injury replacements traveling with them at a World Cup.

The English forward pack are "bloody mongrels" :)

I've read that Robshaw's emphasis is on fitness. A full 80 minutes.

Damn you :p

I don't quite understand if this is a good or bad comment towards England..
But our defence is pretty mean for 80 mins.. now I think only us, SA and maybe Ireland (if Johnny Sexton plays) have a real chance of beating the AB's.. Aussies don't have enough depth in there tight 5 to go the full 80..

There is a stand down period. You can't just call players in on a whim. If someone gets injured within the stand down period which I believe is 48 hours then you can't replace them.

I do not believe any team has ever had injury replacements traveling with them at a World Cup.

Didn't I hear / read somewhere that the home team has to wait on a replacement for as long as it would take the slowest team to fly someone over or similar?, they have an agreed window before the tournament starts.

I dont know what the exact rules are but there is a delay when bringing in injury replacements which means that if a player in a key role gets injured the day before a playoff game they can't be replaced in time for the game.

Which means it's important to carry 3 hookers & 3 halfbacks and pretty much 3 first fives as well.

There is a lot of talk about the potential for Tony Woodcock to cover hooker and apparently he can throw well to the linout but it's never really been tested. not at top level.

Colin Slade has been constantly mentioned as someone who could play 9 in a pinch, this is more realistic I think and may work but recent grumbles from Hansen & Fox suggest it's unlikely.

What we do have is our top 3 first fives can also cover other positions and excel. Carter is a very good 12, barrett is a very good 15 and a better option than Dagg right now anyway and slade could basically play anywhere 9-15 if needed.

so to cover 9 & 10 will consume 6 of the 13 spots for backs. Leaving just 7 spots to cover 5 positions...

Those 7 squad spots are the most interesting in my mind, when you think of the list of guys who are vying for those positions

Locked in unless injured (4):
Ben Smith
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Savea

Probable (1):
SBW

Possible listed roughly by chance of making the final squad IMO (just 2 left!):

Naholo - IMO he's close to locked in, a good performance or two in TRC will finish the job and fill in the starter 14 spot for the squad
piutau - Versatility and previous test experience make him an attractive option
Skudder - A big game in TRC could see him bolt into the squad and he's capable
Fekitoa - would be a shame not to take him. He will be a regular AB next year onwards. I personally dont think he's had as good a year as others say. He hasn't really fired on attack this season, he carries hard but he's not creating much.
Crotty - such a solid performer in recent seasons but right now he's more of a solid experienced option to bring in if there is an injury.
Jane - It's getting harder and harder to see Jane being selected ahead of Naholo or even Skudder. He may only get 1 chance and has to make the most of it.
Dagg - Will the shocking game against Samoa be the last straw? One thing is for sure, there are no excuses left in this or any other parallel universes to select him ahead of Smith at 15. That relegates him to a bench of squad position where Piutau is probably a better option. Even Skudder too. Also consider barrett is superb 15 cover. With Carter in good form covering 15 maybe a big part of this world cup for Barrett.

Last edited:
Didn't I hear / read somewhere that the home team has to wait on a replacement for as long as it would take the slowest team to fly someone over or similar?, they have an agreed window before the tournament starts.

I'm pretty sure you are right. The host team cannot gain any kind of advantage by getting replacements in earlier than any other team

If you name your squad of 23, and the night before a game, one of those players is permanently injured in a mishap, you can immediately call for a replacement from home for your tournament squad, but the replacement for the playing squad must come from your existing tournament squad.

Maybe we will carry 3 halfbacks through the pool stages and bring in another player come the knock outs.

Latest posts