• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Samoa V New Zealand July 8th 2015

Does anyone know when Mulipola is expected back? Should he be healthy for the RWC? If so, that's a huge boost to their scrum and their carrying. Leiua is sitting out the RWC due to injury, shame for him and Samoa.

Rustiness isn't an excuse though guys, not when it applies to both sides equally. Looking forward to seeing this, any notable injuries on either side?

Lets see England send a C team down to Samoa to play these guys at home and see how they get on....

You obviously haven't been following SA rugby....and using England's unconvincing win (at home) over Samoa last year doesn't really add any strength to your argument..

South African rugby? You mean that team which won all but three tests last year? (and beat the All Blacks in one of them).

And have never lost to Samoa?

Does anyone know when Mulipola is expected back? Should he be healthy for the RWC? If so, that's a huge boost to their scrum and their carrying. Leiua is sitting out the RWC due to injury, shame for him and Samoa.

Rustiness isn't an excuse though guys, not when it applies to both sides equally. Looking forward to seeing this, any notable injuries on either side?

Not so much injuries - but the All Blacks were without all of their Hurricanes and Highlanders players (so Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Julian Savea, Dane Coles, Beuden Barrett, TJ Peranara, Jeremy Thrush, James Broadhurst, Ben Franks, Victor Vito, Cory Jane, Aaron Smith, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo, Ben Smith)...

Last edited:
You obviously haven't been following SA rugby....and using England's unconvincing win (at home) over Samoa last year doesn't really add any strength to your argument..

Super rugby and international rugby are two different things. If you want to waste you money on a pipe dream bet that Somoa will win pool B, then be my guest. But it will be money down the drain. The Springboks will turn up when it matters.

At best Somoa are in the running for runners up spot. If they have now a functioning line out then they have a chance to beat Scotland to the runner's up spot, but they didn't even compete in the line out when they played England last November.

Last edited:
Super rugby and international rugby are two different things. If you want to waste you money on a pipe dream bet that Somoa will win pool B, then be my guest. But it will be money down the drain. The Springboks will turn up when it matters.

At best Somoa are in the running for runners up spot. If they have now a functioning line out then they have a chance to beat Scotland to the runner's up spot, but they didn't even compete in the line out when they played England last November.

Their lineout was functioning fine this match.

I'd probably put Samoa as slight favorites over Scotland, they did beat them by 10 points in their last match back in 2013.

...bro if they (ie SA) play as bad as you spell then it will be easy money...lot of very worried Saffas on their forums after Vermulen ruled out, JDV hasn't played since god knows when...then there's the quotas which is also worrying them...not as cut and dried as you may think..

...Samoa all but beat SA at the last RWC...this year they will go one better

I'm going to put $10's on them, or $20 on them coming runners up. What are the runners up odds?

...looks better on a multi with Fiji...am also predicting a Fiji win againt NZ Maori - paying $8 on the TAB ...Fiji has 20 flying wingers in their team and home advantage so wouldn't be surprised if there was an upset..

... posted this elsewhere but just a taste of some of their most dangerous players...

Dangerman#1 Nemani Nadolo a runaway train , awesome size and power and capabilities of attracting several defenders and great offloads...probably see him in the centres given the number of flying Fijian wingers already in the team..his devastating runs will punish you..

Dangerman#2...no particular order as these Fijians are equally capable of kicking your butt so I would strongly advise against any complacency...
Vereniki Goneva.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c41mG7A9C2g

Dangermen #3 and #4 Viriviri and Masilevu...members of the World Champion Sevens team adding a whole new dimension of awesomeness to watch out for..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgiIYdAoxI

Dangerman #5 Savenaca Rawaca... unbelievably he has turned down five offers from world renowned clubs.... offers from top French clubs Toulouse and Clermont...also turned down the Paramatta Eels and an offer from Scotland's top club, the Glasgow Warriors...

..Here's why - he's promised his parents that he will represent Fiji until the Olympics and wait for any offers from overseas clubs after the Rio Games...only 23 so what's the rush..

... He will make an awesome flanker... or fullback not sure where he will fit in but he's playing in the RWC.. finished the last World Sevens Series with 42 TRIES...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5o-7l-kk1M

Wingers for Africa have the Fijians...from the Taniwhas and Crusaders Jone Macilai broke his arm in the first game so had a quiet season so far but don't let that fool you..

, Asieli Tikoirotuma won two Super Rugby ***les with the Chiefs before heading to the Harlequins and now London Irish.. then there's also Toulon's Napolioni Nalaga nicknamed the new Lomu...

Glasgow Warriors pair Niko Matawalu and Leone Nakarawa add another layer of offloading ability, while the likes of Toulouse's Akapusi Qera, Brive's Dominiko Waqaniburotu and Sisa Koyamaibole, and Peceli Yato are excellent forwards...did I mention Bordeaux's prolific Metuisela Talebula

Have a feeling all the experienced gained from playing NH rugby , Super rugby in the SH and Sevens will have given the Fijians a big leg up going into the 2015 RWC.
Have heard the military have interfered with Fijian rugby in the past but lots of talent in the 2015 squad named and capable of causing an upset or two. Biggest problem they have is discipline and a proclivity to lose players for overly physical/high tackles which could be a problem.

...checked out the RWC odds and Fiji paying $81.00 to progress ..so those are my kinda of odds

Last edited:
Both teams were rusty, don't think we can read much into this game!

Halfbacks: I wrote several novels in-between the time Andy Ellis cleared the ball from the break down. Brad Webber looked a lot more energetic and wasn't afraid to try some things, even if he didn't quite execute (like his kick and chase).

Weber should have started. We know what Ellis gives us and it's not much. We missed a good opportunity to see what Webers made of, now we don't get the chance with the return of Aaron and TJ.

We saw today why Ellis is not the answer to the #3 halfback question for the RWC. He is too slow to the breakdown and too slow clearing it when he gets there. He still suits the Crusaders game, but IMO he's not up to test level any more. I think it has to be between TKB and Webber for that third spot.

Fly Half: I thought it was a good return from Daniel Carter. Seemed a little hesitant to take on the line, and he overshot two cross-field kicks, but otherwise was solid on defense and distributed well. Great to have a world class goal kicker back.

Good solid return for Dan, I think him staying fit will be key for us.

The fact that he has the confidence to belt them over from halfway tells me that his leg injury is (finally) fully healed. With Croods almost certainly out of the RWC, Slade, Sopoaga and Barrett become key players for the AB's. Slade and Barrett are more than capable at 10 and 15, Slade has the additional strings to his bow that he also plays either wing (kicks well with both feet) and is a more reliable goal-kicker. Sopoaga is usually a reliable goalkicker too, but his drawback is that he pretty much only plays 10. If you're the No. 1 choice that isn't a problem, but if you're No 2 or below, it becomes more significant.

-----

Just to reinforce my earlier point that this was a comparatively weak All Blacks team, have a look at who was not available for this match

Aaron Smith
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Dane Coles
Ben Franks
Malakai Fekitoa
Beauden Barrett
James Broadhurst
Victor Vito
TJ Perenara
Julian Savea
Nehe Milner-Skudder
Lima Sopoaga
Waisake Naholo
Ben Smith
Cory Jane

Lets see England send a C team down to Samoa to play these guys at home and see how they get on....

I'm aware of who was missing from your side, but I'm not so sure that you can call that team a C team, or of course you don't really rate a large number of likely RWC starters and benchers (I'd expect about 13 of that side to be in your main 23 come the RWC).

Regardless, people are trying to use rustiness as an excuse, which surely is only viable if the other team have been together for some time and had a few games, which isn't the case. Feel free to de-rep me again btw (that's not to you austingtir).

...looks better on a multi with Fiji...am also predicting a Fiji win againt NZ Maori - paying $8 on the TAB ...Fiji has 20 flying wingers in their team and home advantage so wouldn't be surprised if there was an upset..

... posted this elsewhere but just a taste of some of their most dangerous players...

Dangerman#1 Nemani Nadolo a runaway train , awesome size and power and capabilities of attracting several defenders and great offloads...probably see him in the centres given the number of flying Fijian wingers already in the team..his devastating runs will punish you..

Dangerman#2...no particular order as these Fijians are equally capable of kicking your butt so I would strongly advise against any complacency...
Vereniki Goneva.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c41mG7A9C2g

Dangermen #3 and #4 Viriviri and Masilevu...members of the World Champion Sevens team adding a whole new dimension of awesomeness to watch out for..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHgiIYdAoxI

Dangerman #5 Savenaca Rawaca... unbelievably he has turned down five offers from world renowned clubs.... offers from top French clubs Toulouse and Clermont...also turned down the Paramatta Eels and an offer from Scotland's top club, the Glasgow Warriors...

..Here's why - he's promised his parents that he will represent Fiji until the Olympics and wait for any offers from overseas clubs after the Rio Games...only 23 so what's the rush..

... He will make an awesome flanker... or fullback not sure where he will fit in but he's playing in the RWC.. finished the last World Sevens Series with 42 TRIES...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5o-7l-kk1M

Wingers for Africa have the Fijians...from the Taniwhas and Crusaders Jone Macilai broke his arm in the first game so had a quiet season so far but don't let that fool you..

, Asieli Tikoirotuma won two Super Rugby ***les with the Chiefs before heading to the Harlequins and now London Irish.. then there's also Toulon's Napolioni Nalaga nicknamed the new Lomu...

Glasgow Warriors pair Niko Matawalu and Leone Nakarawa add another layer of offloading ability, while the likes of Toulouse's Akapusi Qera, Brive's Dominiko Waqaniburotu and Sisa Koyamaibole, and Peceli Yato are excellent forwards...did I mention Bordeaux's prolific Metuisela Talebula

Have a feeling all the experienced gained from playing NH rugby , Super rugby in the SH and Sevens will have given the Fijians a big leg up going into the 2015 RWC.
Have heard the military have interfered with Fijian rugby in the past but lots of talent in the 2015 squad named and capable of causing an upset or two. Biggest problem they have is discipline and a proclivity to lose players for overly physical/high tackles which could be a problem.

...checked out the RWC odds and Fiji paying $81.00 to progress ..so those are my kinda of odds

Think they will beat Wales and give us and Aus very hard games.

Mulipola should be fine for the World Cup.

He is training at Leicester ATM and will join Samoa when they come over.

Andy Ellis clearing of the ball from breakdown is slow and his passing was not that sharp. Aaron Smith is so vital to the All Blacks now with his quick service. Ellis is definitely not up to standard to international level anymore.

My halfbacks would be:
1. Aaron Smith
2. TJ Perenara
3. TKB

Very proud of the way the Samoan boys played today against the All Blacks. Both teams were rusty as you would expect being the first test match for the year. AB's will come back stronger and will take a lot out of this game, they're stacked with talent and are favorites for the WC. Gone are the days where the AB's were piling on the points against Samoa due to clubs not releasing players etc. With the Samoa/Pacific teams learning their trade overseas this makes it possible for them to keep the scoreboard a lot closer as most would expect, Samoa's line outs/mauls/rucks and 50/50 scrums against the All blacks was a true testament on what they're learning in the UK under good clubs/management. For me it doesn't really matter what team the AB's put out on the field they will always find a way to win - Winning culture.
Samoa and South Africa to go through in their pool.

I hope today's game challenges other tier 1 nations to travel to the Pacific Islands. Thank you ALL BLACKS for making it happen. Respect.

Was a good hard game and the Samoans played with the intensity we would expect them to.

1st AB test is always rusty, so not too much to read into, old front row looked old however that new Chiefs prop looked the goods in the scrum, locks looked good, I thought they all did their job , loosies were a bit quiet and we looked like we did miss Messam and Cane TBH and Ardie would have been better than Todd.

Ellis looked out of place and things at least sped up when Weber came on, he should be happy with his cameo, Carter was really good given how he got through a bit game without getting injured and oh god how I have missed his goal kicking. SBW didn't do much, Crotty was solid as you expect from him, he is coming very reliable.

Wings were good, Moala dropped a bit of ball but did most things good, gutted we lose Piutau at the end of the year, again Dagg offered nothing and looked lost.

Next test should give an indication as to who we expect to see cement spots imo, you would expect our best team to be played to see how they gel, but depends if the selectors want to rest some of the senior AB's for one more week, I am assuming the next test is soon? as I don't actually know.

We saw today why Ellis is not the answer to the #3 halfback question for the RWC. He is too slow to the breakdown and too slow clearing it when he gets there. He still suits the Crusaders game, but IMO he's not up to test level any more. I think it has to be between TKB and Webber for that third spot.

The fact that he has the confidence to belt them over from halfway tells me that his leg injury is (finally) fully healed. With Croods almost certainly out of the RWC, Slade, Sopoaga and Barrett become key players for the AB's. Slade and Barrett are more than capable at 10 and 15, Slade has the additional strings to his bow that he also plays either wing (kicks well with both feet) and is a more reliable goal-kicker. Sopoaga is usually a reliable goalkicker too, but his drawback is that he pretty much only plays 10. If you're the No. 1 choice that isn't a problem, but if you're No 2 or below, it becomes more significant.

-----

Just to reinforce my earlier point that this was a comparatively weak All Blacks team, have a look at who was not available for this match

Aaron Smith
Conrad Smith
Ma'a Nonu
Dane Coles
Ben Franks
Malakai Fekitoa
Beauden Barrett
James Broadhurst
Victor Vito
TJ Perenara
Julian Savea
Nehe Milner-Skudder
Lima Sopoaga
Waisake Naholo
Ben Smith
Cory Jane

Nah, it was just a rubbish performance. We didn't even do well in the forwards and barring Coles with Retallick on the bench it was our best forward pack. Let's not blame the players we were missing. Several established, first choice All Blacks were asleep at the wheel today.

Is dagg really the #2 full back over NMS? :/ not in my book sorry izzy..

Latest posts