• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

There needs to be a prosecutor willing to bear the burden of proof and prove beyond reasonable doubt that it happened so he can be found guilty, or a plaintiff to prove on a balance of probabilities to claim damages.
Given McG's exposure and the money he has, i'd expect prosecutors to line up for days just for a shot at that.
And regarding the burden of proof, two things
1) He did so in a bar and from what i've read, this ain't the first time he'd done it. Chances of witnesses are not low.
2) Prosecutor doesn't even need to win. It's in McG's best interest to settle. UFC doesn't want to touch that sort of publicity with a pole.

My question was more along the lines of him being a professional fighter. In many jurisdictions they consider that along the lines of assault with a (deadly) weapon. It's no joke, which is precisely why i'd expect the affected party to have his phone ringing by lawyers all day begging him to press charges.

Nobody touches McGregor in Ireland....if he hits you you get to be a celebrity!!!
Funny you mention that. I was in Dublin for Argentina's game. We touched the subject a few times and, at least the overwhelming majority of the Irish i spoke to though, to my surprise, that he's nothing short of a moron. This is anecdotal evidence of course, but i asked them if this was just them or if this was a generalized view and they all agreed it was the majority. The basic argument was that the Irish, cultural wise, don't like anyone who brags too much. A bit of banter is welcomed course, but after the Aldo fight he lost the plot and the character eat the man.
This is of course, again, my very short lived experience. Happy to be corrected.

Given McG's exposure and the money he has, i'd expect prosecutors to line up for days just for a shot at that.
And regarding the burden of proof, two things
1) He did so in a bar and from what i've read, this ain't the first time he'd done it. Chances of witnesses are not low.
2) Prosecutor doesn't even need to win. It's in McG's best interest to settle. UFC doesn't want to touch that sort of publicity with a pole.

My question was more along the lines of him being a professional fighter. In many jurisdictions they consider that along the lines of assault with a (deadly) weapon. It's no joke, which is precisely why i'd expect the affected party to have his phone ringing by lawyers all day begging him to press charges.

Funny you mention that. I was in Dublin for Argentina's game. We touched the subject a few times and, at least the overwhelming majority of the Irish i spoke to though, to my surprise, that he's nothing short of a moron. This is anecdotal evidence of course, but i asked them if this was just them or if this was a generalized view and they all agreed it was the majority. The basic argument was that the Irish, cultural wise, don't like anyone who brags too much. A bit of banter is welcomed course, but after the Aldo fight he lost the plot and the character eat the man.
This is of course, again, my very short lived experience. Happy to be corrected.
They can't settle a criminal case, it's either a sentence or not guilty, and the bar was likely full of McGregor's folk and gangsters who won't testify so they can sort it out their own way. The victim was a gangster and won't bring civil charges either because the amount he'll get won't be more than if he can scare McGregor into settling without the aid of the legal system. As I said, if it was a regular civilian he'd be in a civil trial.

It really depends on who you speak to in regards to how he's viewed. Among rugby fans that'd be the general consensus considering the middle class bracket most of us fall into in Ireland, Dublin especially, you'd also get that with anyone who's older than McGregor himself for the most part. The younger generation lap up the headline media and one liners that have become symbolic of him. I liked him up until his recent antics as an Irishman at the pinnacle of his sport and found his antics somewhat entertaining, he's the only reason I have a passing interest in this sport and I was engrossed in the Mayweather fight. Many people my age admired him and want(ed) to walk like him, talk like him etc... His brand is getting old and exaggerated now and anyone with an ounce of intelligence will likely cop on to his blatant idiocy and lack of respect as negatives and turn on him, he was absolutely untouchable in our media but Irish people will almost always inevitably turn on a polarising character, McIlroy has done far less than McGregor to warrant hate and yet half the population love to see him fail.

UFC 218 was a great card.
Oliviera v Medeiros was unbelievable, up for fight of the year.
Alvarez v Gaethje is also up there for fight of the year, and both men now have to be considered for the ***le in the near future. Sounds stupid after Gaethje lost but he's incredibly entertaining. He could've easily won that fight but Alvarez is a monster.
Overeem v Ngannou, that humans like this exist scares me, and that's why all my fighting is done over the keyboard. Overeem hasn't got a chin anymore but that punch was terrifying. Miocic will be a great fight, I just think that he's got to much of an all round game. But anyone who can punch like that can win. Werdum could also give him a world of trouble.
Aldo v Holloway, good fight, at 25 Holloway could be anything. The fight with Edgar is probably next but I'd like to see him fight McGregor again.

Aye, it really was an amazing card. One of the best, start to finish, I can think of. Only really had two snoozers (Casey/Helig and Cejudo/Pettis) but Medeiros vs Cowboy could been the only other fight on the card and it'd still be a top 10 card, that fight was insanely good.

Gonna be interesting to see how much Ngannou progresses because he is getting exponentially better every fight at the moment. Would love to see him vs a good grappler. He's practically retired but him vs a fit/prime Cain is a dream matchup. Werdum, as you said, could potentially be kryptonite. Ngannou has insane amounts of raw strength but has been training grappling for about 4 years - if Werdum gets him to the ground I think he'd have his way with him, unless Francis can just do the Derick Lewis trick of just standing back up, haha. Gotta get that takedown that without getting your head launched through the stadium roof as well, though.
No idea how him vs Stipe would go. Absolutely love Stipe, and his boxing is very slick, but he does get hit and one shot from Ngannou can end a fight.

I was going to say Khabib was impressive, but not really. He did what he always does.
It's not as if he surprises guys. Everyone knows what's coming and no one seems to be able to stop him. Solid chin, relentless stamina, best take down in the game and world class ground and pound.

I was thinking how to beat a guy with such a solid strat and i can only think of two ways:
1) Lucky lights out punch or close enough and then throw punches on the ground praying the ref stops the fight before he can recover (he will recover given the chance, his stamina is out of this universe).
2) Take him to the ground and somehow manage to submit him. This is an unexplored area therefore a long shot, because we can't really tell from his fights how he manages things from his back. The examples are extremely rare. I'd be surprised if he's not amazing at defense from the ground, but if you have to face him, it's better to place your bets on something that has a small chance of working that on something that just won't.

I'd pay a small fortune if i could somehow manage to get the best GSP at his best face him at a weight were the fight made sense (welterweight?).
It'd be like two trains going at each other relentlessly.

He'd kill macgregor. It wouldn't even be funny. Well, it actually would.

Khabib is the best lightweight in the world and it's not close.
I wonder what the McGregor nuthuggers will say now
"He's always injured" - had surgery to fix his back
"He can't make weight" - made it easily
"He's not active" been more active than mcgregor both short and long term (Conor not fought in over a year, and Khabib has one more pro fight in his career which is several months shorter than Conor's)
"He can't handle a striker" - absolutely dominated the best striker in the division

Khabib v Ferguson, the true champion fight. Khabib would be my winner but off his back Ferguson is dangerous, he could catch Khabib. And stamina wise Ferguson can keep up with him. Should be a great fight

Aye Ferguson is the biggest threat, he's a 10p black belt and a big big thing in 10p is working off your back.
His elbows from guard are nasty, but equally Khabib doesn't sit in people's guards.
He dominated RDA who is a legit BJJ black belt so I struggle to see Khabib having music issues on the ground tbh

His elbows from guard are nasty, but equally Khabib doesn't sit in people's guards.
That, in spades. Khabib tends to "stand up" a lot when people are on their back. He's oftenly more at risk of getting kicked in the face than elbowed.
Most people (on top) get caught after "resting" for a few secs to recover from the energy used on take down Khabib doesn't do that.
I'm sure Ferguson's in shape and all, but i don't see him being able to keep up with khabib's pace. He is simply relentless, both on his feet and on the ground.

This will help me explain my rationale: how many times has khabib failed to take someone down? How much damage does he inflict once he's taken his opponent down?
I cannot recall a single instance of him being remotely close of getting caught in a submission.
Then again, Fedor got caught by Werdum once, so i guess anything is possible.

I was far more confident of Tonys chances before the Lee fight. Lee is a big strong 155er with good but far inferior grappling to Khabib - he took Tony down and did some damage on the ground to him.
One of Tonys great points is his ability to recover, He can take damage but come back.
Khabib doesn't look for the big KO though - He grinds you down and makes you wish you'd never agreed to the fight. Death by a thousand elbows rather than "dat left hand shot".
I fancy tony's chances against McGregor more than vs Khabib - I could see Conor dropping Tony, chasing him to the ground and getting caught in a triangle or something

lol, McGregor getting stripped and Khabib vs Tony at UFC223 for the LW strap

What happened to that army that's gonna be needed to take the two belts away?

lol, McGregor getting stripped and Khabib vs Tony at UFC223 for the LW strap

What happened to that army that's gonna be needed to take the two belts away?
Might bring him down a bit in that he needs to defend ***les. I'm big fan of way he trains and sells himself as an icon and get max value. But he needs to keep a balance and well with all the talk and that outside the ring he still needs the performance in it.

Correct call and may even be beneficial in luring McGregor back

Dana White has said Conor is planning on coming back in September.
The UFC are having their first ever event in Russia in seotember.
I imagine they're crossing their fingers Khabib beats tony (I think he will) and then they'll have Khabib vs Conor in Moscow.

So Romero misses weight, but smashed Rockhold. Is it Whittaker v Romero II now then?

So Romero misses weight, but smashed Rockhold. Is it Whittaker v Romero II now then?
Yup, really messes up the division as well tbh.
Whittaker's last fight was against Romero nd he beat him even with a serious knee injury.
And then who's next? He's cleared out a lot of the division.
Do they do Weidman vs Rockhold for next shot, despite Rockhold just coming off a loss and Weidman having one win in like 2 years?
Do they hope gastellum can step up (And after seeing Weidman handle him easily I think he's hit his limit at MW and should learn some discipline and get back down to WW).
Jacare smashed Brunson but Whittaker smashed him recently too.

If Rockhold won it would at least buy some time for the next contender to appear.

Yeah the MW division is in a mess, you can't blame Bisping for holding out for the money fight with GSP but it has caused the chaos ever since. Last nights fight just confuses the issue even more, felt a bit gutted for Rockhold. He was looking quite sharp prior to being caught.

On a side note while watching the Hunt vs Blades fight the misses suggested that Hunt would make a great prop, to which I suggested maybe even a hooker. We then went on to pick an MMA first XV.

1. Big Country
2. Mark Hunt
3. Derek Lewis
4. Travis Browne
5. Francis Ngannou
6. Rumble
7. DC
8. Stone Cold Stipe
9. Mighty Mouse
10. The Notorious One
11. Jose Aldo Jr
12. Luke Rockhold
13. T Wood
14. Cody Garbrandt
15. Wonder boy

Obviously a lot of the lighter weight guys would be a little small but wanted to include most of the weight classes.

How are you not putting Struve in the 2nd row!
Barboza's got to be at 10 - he'd kick the ball through the stands

How are you not putting Struve in the 2nd row!
Barboza's got to be at 10 - he'd kick the ball through the stands

Great point on Struve (tho not quite sure if he has the bottle for Rugby if you know what I mean). Barbosa does have great kicks but not sure he has the nous of a C Mac at fly half lol.

Latest posts