• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

If Jones had lost I would've been gutted that I didn't see last nights card (was never gonna pay and 'streaming' always seems a real chore) but the fact he won means I'm ok with having nor seen it.

I actually quite like Gamebred, both him and the Díaz bros remind me of a lot of the characters I grew up with (even though they're from opposite sides of the states and I grew up on a council estate in South Wales o_O).

I dont like/dislike the Diaz brothers, and i kinda like Masdival.

The way i see it is there is a line in the sand and on one side you have people like CMG and Askren; on the other guys like Khabib and Jorge. The first talk **** and play tough guy on twitter and press conferences with the excuse of promotion fights while the latter makes it clear that words have consequences, particularly when your job not only allows you but actually pays you to punch co-workers you dont like in the face.
I know it's a bit of a hasty generalization but i dont think i'm far off the mark here.

As much as i enjoyed watching Askren being dismantled that was a lucky shot. I would actually like to see that fight again.

Ben Askren: your muscles are small and your beard isn't that good

Masvidal: I'm going to kill your children

Askren said cheesey jokes and masvidal has such thin skin that he took everything super personally and is still saying he'd assault Askren if he saw him in public.

The worst part is this Masvidals best friend is.....Colby Covington.
He's a hypocrite.

I, too, would like to see a rematch but it'll never happen.
Will be interesting to see what happens at the top now - I dislike Colby immensely but he should have the next shot, especially if he beats Robbie.
Masvidal wants a ***le shot but would he screw over his best friend for it? I don't think he's earned one over Colby - IMO they should make Masvidal v Woodley

I understand where you are coming from and this is, of course, my personal opinion, but in my book whoever draws first blood loses the moral high ground to argue that the response was more than proportional. Once you open that door, be ready for anything and everything.

Regarding the next steps, call me cynical but i would put Masvidal vs Woodley and Askren vs Colby on the same card.

No way Colby vs Askren happens (unless Colby loses badly against Robbie)
Askren has one, maybe two, fights on his contract left and I'm pretty sure he said he is fighting it out and retiring again.
My guess is Till (both coming off KO losses and they were hyping the fight at UFC London) then maybe Demian Maia as a dual retirement fight

I am 100% sure it wont happen. I just found the cross fights entertaining. If there's ever a nice backstory for a 2v2 fight, that would be it.
But Askren is over. He had his shot and blew it. He actually got incredibly lucky, first by being awarded a win, and second by still having his head attached to his neck.

Back to Masvidal, you got me thinking. I dont think he is a hypocrite. He's made it clear a few times. His problem is not trash talking per se. The problem is, first and foremost, people who trash talk and cannot back it up. And second, people who behave like gangsters when they are logged in to their twitter accounts but miraculously become delicate snowflakes when you are face to face.
I think he has a point. It's not about being tough, it's about congruence.

So why is he best friends with Colby, who is the worst example of both?
Calling the cops of Werdum for throwing a toy boomerang at him, and constantly spouting borderline racist **** and trashing any and everyone on social media then hiding from them in person

So why is he best friends with Colby, who is the worst example of both?
Dunno, ask him. Being a friend of a hypocrite doesn't necessarily make you one.

It's not as if you Masvidal is on this crusade against trash talking. He just says "if this happens to me, these are the consequences".

My boy Rocky gets it done with ease,

The Masvidal fight is the only one that makes sense, but he's making all this noise about how he deserves a ***le shot (lol), so I think they should make Leon vs Woodley (headlining UFC Birmingham plz)

Not a great card that but a massive win for Leon Edwards... always thought he was classy but Dos Ankos is a considerable step up, so kudos.

Him against Masvidal would be great, didn't they have a backstage altercation in London a few months ago. If so, I love it when a fight has genuine 'beef'.

Yeah, masvidal sucker punched him back stage

Masvidal already on twitter refusing to fight him, so guess he's gonna sit out for a while - Usman has already said Masvidal doesn't deserve a ***le fight and that Colby is next

Yeah, masvidal sucker punched him back stage

Masvidal already on twitter refusing to fight him, so guess he's gonna sit out for a while - Usman has already said Masvidal doesn't deserve a ***le fight and that Colby is next

Does anyone know why Masvidal threw down?

Does anyone know why Masvidal threw down?
Edwards said "me and you next" (the winner of till/masvidal was earmarked to fight either Askren or Edwards) and cause masvidal is a thin skinned man baby he took this as extreme disrespect - walked over with his hands behind his back, quickly punched Leon in the face and then jumped behind the security guards.

Edwards said "me and you next" (the winner of till/masvidal was earmarked to fight either Askren of Edwards) and cause masvidal is a thin skinned man baby he took this as extreme disrespect - walked over with his hands behind his back, quickly punched Leon in the face and then jumped behind the security guards.

Wow, well if that is the case I'm very disappointed in Jorge... I've been sucker-punched (well sucker-head butted to be precise) and I don't think anything has ever made me so angry.

So Covington just continues to exceed my expectations of him! Every time he gets a fight I think this will be the one where it all gets exposed but he gets it done... you may not agree with his schtick or politics but he's impressive nonetheless.

If he gets the fight against Usman, as per I will predict that Colby is outmatched but it should be as good a grapplefest as you're ever likely to see.

I could see that result coming a mile off tbh,
Robbie couldn't get anything away because he was too worried about the takedown, which Covington works into his striking extremely well so his opponents are always on their guard.
He had to hope for a hail Mary KO and he doesn't have that power anymore.

Covington has to be one of the least violent fighters in the UFC - he's the definition of pillow fisted (500 attempted strikes, used Lawler like a heavy bag, didn't hurt him once) and his grappling is incredibly negative.
I'm a huge fan of grappling, not one of the "just bleed" brigade, but Colby doesn't work for subs, doesn't work for ground and pound, just wants to grind them against the cage or on the mat.

I could see him vs Usman being the most boring ***le fight in a while, two guys with no power and really negative grappling. I think Usman would win but the viewers would lose.

Won't be anything like the grappling masterclass that was Makhachev vs Tsarukyan

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't call myself a fan of Covington, just that he continues to surpass my (admittedly low) expectations. I thought Lawler would've got the W due to both his more than decent grappling and his heavy hands but as you say he just couldn't get pull the trigger. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due, regardless of style or lack there of... but having said all that I think Usman will smash him :).

The man is a good business brain to get where he was but that same brain is already on the way to destroying any bit of legacy he built.

He has ran away when he knows he probably will never beat Khabib, thinks he is too goo for rest when reality is the unpredictable area has become predictable and now is taking cheap shots and being involved in stuff like this to just stay relevant.

Latest posts