MMA/UFC thread

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by Larksea, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Forgot to add... **** Jon Jones!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur Senior Member

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

I like askren. He usually tells it like it is. But if he's gonna use his verbal skills to become the next Sonnen/McG, count me out.

Yesterday, of all days, was not the day to gloat.
    If he could think of a way to take a jab a Dana without taking a jab at lawler, i'm fine with that too. But saying "is that the best you've got" when the guy dumped you like a bag of potatoes and rearranged your face in under 2 mins was pretty stupid.

4. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Fair... but he also said Lawler was one of his favourite fighters. My point is that it’s nice to have a guy on the roster who isn’t just kissing Dana’s a$$.

5. TRF_Olyy

TRF_Olyy English Arrogance

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

To be fair he did preface it with something like "well if I won I was gonna say it, so..."

He's just playing the game, he said as such during the Embeddeds, when he and Usman were both doing their cuts in the UFC PI and Askren said he'd never **** with someone who was cutting weight cause it's a dick move

6. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

RIP Till - absolutely merked by someone not known for his power. Think he needs to go the Whittaker route, this weight cut is killing him.

Edwards got a convincing win over Nelson, which was excellent to see.
    Gutted that Breese had to pull out - same issue as his last UFC London fight (erratic heart beat/racing heart rate). Apparently he has severe anxiety issues around fighting - sucks because he's so damn talented, and his last win was very impressive. I hope he can make it back into the cage at some point, but if he can't then he definitely has a career in coaching, Renegade JJ is going from strength to strength.

Wood and Allen both got convincing wins and continue their rises to the top as well. UK MMA is in a good place atm.

7. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

So just watched last nights UFC... if you’re a fight fan and you haven’t watched it yet, get on that sh@t! Two of the best fights that I have seen in years as the co-main and main events... bravo sirs!

• Like Like x 1
  8. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

Agreed, both fights were incredible
    Izzy vs Gastelum one of the best title fights in recent memory - Max vs Dustin would be fight of the year if not for the one a few minutes before!

All fighters so respectful as well - I mean they've thrown a few jabs beforehand, and Adesanya loves a meme, but it's so refreshing to see fighters respect their opponents and leave it all in the cage.

Adesanya vs Whittaker is gonna be absolute fireworks. There's talk of it being held in a rugby stadium in Aus, it'd be a huge sell out crowd.
    Gonna be real interesting, I think Whittaker takes it but who knows! Gastelum was landing on Adesanya but was having to throw a 4 punch combo to close the distance and land the last shot, Whittaker won't have the crazy height/reach distance to overcome.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Stylebender has slowly grown on me... didn’t used to like him (though I’ve always considered his talent undeniable) but his last couple of post-fight interviews have shown me a different side to his personality, devoid of his ego. Think i might have him as a slight favourite against Whittaker... but that’s just me.

Poiriers emotion at the end actually made me well up a bit at the end (I’m an easy mark tbf) I remember watching Fightville years ago and being struck by his dedication do responsibility for someone so young. Glad that it has all come together for him. Still... Khabib is a mountain that is yet to be climbed by anyone.

10. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

There's no denying his rise has been meteroic - his first fight was good, but against a can, his fight vs Vettori was....OK. Nothing special. But he's looked exponentially better every fight. I have Whittaker as favourite but I wouldn't be surprised to see Adesanya win, at all.

Yeah, I don't see Dustin beating Khabib. I'm a big big Dustin fan, but I don't think he has anything stand out to really worry Khabib - he's basically a harder hitting Iaquinta (nice boxing, decent wrestling, good jiu jitsu). His gas tank doesn't look anything special (though next to Max no ones does) so I could see Khabib just slowly wearing him down and cruising to a UD.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

What’s up with Tony Ferguson... haven’t heard anything from since that awesome win over Pettit, surely he is in the mix to fight the winner?

12. TRF_Olyy

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Sale

He's dealing with some pretty serious mental health issues atm - was tearing up the walls in his house thinking people were spying on him. He's had major issues with alcohol in the past and apparently fell off the wagon pretty hard recently, but is now sober again and getting the help he needs and is back on his meds.

It's a tough situation - Poirier deserve the khabib fight, as interim champ. Tony deserves the khabib fight as he's (stripped) interim champ. Neither should have to fight before facing khabib, but it would mean a long lay off for one of them, and if they made them fight each other in the summer (Khabib not back till end of September) then one of them loses their deserved shot at the belt.

For my money Tony deserves the fight the most, and him vs Khabib is biggest what if in combat sports atm.

Whichever doesn't fight khabib should get Conor or Diaz just for the payday/as compensation

13. bushytop

bushytop Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Dayum! I’m sorry to hear about that as a long time fan of El Cucuy... although not totally surprising, the guy is a rare one (part of the reason I like him). What is it, like 4 times that the Ferg vs Khabib fight has fallen through?

Scheduling this is a tough one for sure... I’d prob go with Khabib vs Poirier (just because they both have the belts right now) with Ferg to fight the winner. I’d be down with your suggestion too though as can see it both ways. However it plays out... if we could get (a hopefully fully fit) Diaz vs either Piorier or Ferg I’d be a happy punter.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!