• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

I hope they got 'paid'!
Think ***o got 200k and Chuck 250k (no win bonuses) + PPV (though apparently it sold terribly so probably won't amount to much). Decent payday for them, all things said and done, but still shouldn't really have happened.

Also find it pretty funny how much Oscar was trashing the UFCs pay when he ended up paying both of these guys less than they made in the UFC 5+ years ago, and the purses for the rest of the card were awful. Most of the card got paid 5/5k, Tibau got paid 10/10k (was on 24/24k + 30k Reebok pay with the UFC) - minimum contract in the UFC is 12/12k.

Think ***o got 200k and Chuck 250k (no win bonuses) + PPV (though apparently it sold terribly so probably won't amount to much). Decent payday for them, all things said and done, but still shouldn't really have happened.

Also find it pretty funny how much Oscar was trashing the UFCs pay when he ended up paying both of these guys less than they made in the UFC 5+ years ago, and the purses for the rest of the card were awful. Most of the card got paid 5/5k, Tibau got paid 10/10k (was on 24/24k + 30k Reebok pay with the UFC) - minimum contract in the UFC is 12/12k.

Wow... 5 & 5... De La Hoya is a poacher turned games keeper!

Aye sorry if it was a spoiler for you. I did briefly look up the thread and saw results from UFC events were being spoken about soon after they aired so I figured it's ok.

Apparently 250k basic purse plus some % of the PPV income. So $250,100 then.

Nah I wasn't gonna watch it anyway... just 'interested' (on some level) in who won for old times sake.

It was a very sad thing to watch. It was as if Chuck was about to collapse just by waling around.

No comments on Ortega vs Holloway?
Outstanding stuff. I like things mixed up a bit, but as far as (mostly) standing up fights in mma go, it was probably the best i've ever seen.
Round 2 was a work of art.

Holloway's on another level, i don't think anyone at FW can hang with him.

I would've said Frankie but I think the wars are catching up with him now - so many of his wins came from overcoming adversity and wearing his opposition down. I don't think he could outwork Max.

Chad Mendes could be interesting (same with Frankie) as Max hasn't faced an elite wrestler yet.

Realistically I wanna see him move up to LW sooner rather than later (make Frankie vs moicano for next shot, then maybe Chad after that then he's outta there)

Ufc 232 moved from Vegas to LA on 6 days notice because Nevada refuse to license jon Jones.

Steroid test showed trace amounts of turinabol, but not enough to trigger a full blown usada flag (or the cash from the ufc was enough to make them not ban him).
Ufc claiming that it's left over from his previous positive test result,
Everyone else knows he's microdosing.

Just ban the **** from combat sports for life. I don't care how good he is, I never want to see him fight again.

I could understand him if we were talking about recreational dugs, but steroids?

I dont get it. This has a very, very simple solution: before he agrees to fight anything, the UFC makes him deposit USD XX amount in an escrow account. Big enough for him to care.
If anything comes up in 2 consecutive tests (false positives do happen) he not only loses the right to fight but his own money. End off.

Cyborg got murdered,
Only lasted 1 second longer than Rousey

Steroid cheat Jones got what will probably end up as another no contest

Did you guys see the Ryan Hall vs BJ fight?
The guy's a magician.
I love Ryan Hall - his Jits is next level in that division, and his striking is looking surprisingly good. Not saying he's gonna go out there and box up McGregor or anything, but his technique on the crazy spinning kicks he was throwing was flawless. Guess you can throw wild **** when you have literally zero fear of getting taken down (and would actually prefer it if that were to happen).

I really hope Garry Tonon moves to the UFC after cutting his teeth some more in ONE - him vs Ryan Hall would be such an insane match up.

Kron Gracie vs Hall would be sick as well (though I think Kron is signing as a featherweight?)

I dislike him but Jon Jones needs to move up to HW now. He is completely done with the LHW division. Calling out DC looks lame (the 'daddy's home' remark) because DC is probably never going back down to LHW, so he needs to make the move if he wants another go at him. DC is at his best at HW so Jones needs to go to his 'home' this time

Well Askren's debut was.....memorable

Edit:
Insane performance from Usman.
His style won't be popular with the fans, or with Dana (and rightfully so - he's a fence fucker who wrestles for points not finishes), but that was utter domination. To do that to Woodley, of all people, is very impressive.

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculous performance, so dominant.

Askren was weird because I can't work out how herb Dean got it so wrong.

Jones/Smith was a bit crap

Jones wasn't interested in the finish Smith was in survival mode from about 2 mins in.
Was expecting Smith to just head down, bite the mouth guard, and swing - I guess feeling some of Jones' strikes changed his regular game plan.
It is interesting when "regular" fighters go up against really top level guys/girls. Used to see the same when Cyborg would get fed cans - the first punch just changed their whole demeanour.

I can't work out how herb Dean got it so wrong.
There is a camera take that is close to Dean's pov at the time and it shows

1) lawler being held (you cant see how deep it is, neck/face/etc)
2) This is i think the most important part: at one moment lawlers hand that was leaning against the cage drops in what appears to be a fall. It looks as if lawler is not bringing down his hand but his hand is just falling, which would suggest he is out.
From that angle, and with the info available, i can see how Dean made that call. With hindsight it was the wrong call, and he probably could have positioned himself differently, but i can understand why he made that call.
Even Rogan said three times "he's out, he's out, he's out" live. I can understand why a ref would stop the fight if he (mistakenly) believes one of the fighters to be out.

Again, wrong call, but i can see the rationale behind it.

I believe Rogan called it an "understandable bad call" which sums it up
Just really unfortunate set of circumstances

So the Herb call was obvs wrong but fair play to Lawler he took it on the chin like a G. Can't help but love Askren though... big grapple fan in general so he does play into my wheelhouse (though his grappling wasn't its usual standard last night) but his 'doesn't give a shiz' attitude is great too... and just what the UFC needs. His comments about Dana (last night and in the past) take me back to my youth when watching Stonecold hose down Vince McMahon with beer in the WWE.

Latest posts