• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

Word going around that Aldo has cracked a couple of ribs in training and that his fight with McGregor is in jeopardy.
Dana White has said not to worry, but if he does have cracked ribs then they're not going to be completely healed in 2.5 weeks.

Really hope the fight does go ahead, and that both fighters are 100% - should be a hell of a spectacle, especially with how bat**** crazy McGregor is.

He's barmy. The crowd for that fight will be loud for that one, so many Irish fans will travel over for it. Im only beginning to get into the UFC but I'm looking forward to that one.

This is probably the best card I've ever seen, in UFC. Every fight has been crazy (and most quite bloody!).

Only one round into McGregor/Mendes and that's living up to it too!

Edit: Wow!
How....odd! Mendes dominating and then one shot gets through his guard and it's over. Strange fight from Mendes, didn't really attempt anything on the floor other than strikes (that first elbow must have gotten his back up or something, and he smelt a KO), then the one time he did he very nearly got the guillotine locked in.

Last edited:
Was considering it, but considering it'll be over in <90s, I'll just watch it on youtube tomorrow instead.

I only have the online version of BT Sport (free with my broadband), not through BT Vision or Sky or anything, so not an option :p

Your noobish tendencies are abundantly clear.

Your ******'s palace is clearly incomplete.

Did I just see Rouseys last 3 fights have lasted 74 seconds combined or something?
That's crazy. She's a cracking looking girl but easy to see why as she's not taking much punishment.

Last 4 fight have a combined total of 130 seconds.

Always found girls/women with some muscle (like athletes etc) to be my thing.

Extremely impressive and aggressive fighter although it is prob easier ATM due to its women's UFC being in its infancy still. Hopefully the added coverage from Rousey will be it a bigger platform than female boxing gets and will become a top sport in general not just the one fighter.

UFC needs to court every single female Boxing, Wrestling, Judo and Taekwondo medalist at the olympics... wouldn't be a bad idea to go after the men too.

UFC needs to court every single female Boxing, Wrestling, Judo and Taekwondo medalist at the olympics... wouldn't be a bad idea to go after the men too.

There's no chance they could get any of the elite male boxers as they can all far more as a pro boxer. Targeting female athletes a good idea though, as UFC basically the only combat sport where any women have (outside of Olympics of course) reached a reasonable profile.

Exactly, obviously there is a massive pay-day elsewhere for the male boxers, not so much for the others.

There are going to be something like 50 female medalists from those four sports across all of the weight categories next year, lets say half of them decide they are interested in MMA.
I think there are pretty good odds on getting a good boost to the depth of the UFC's female ranks.

Last edited:
I think you'll start to see more and more people start chancing their arms post Olympics.
Rousey was an Olympian, and "only" a bronze medalist. Whoever wins gold will look how dominant she's been with her Judo (it's only really this fight where her striking has looked decent, and even then it's hard to judge how good it is as the fight was over so quickly and her opponent didn't attempt anything) and think - hey, there's money to be made here.

I don't think you'd get (m)any boxers making the switch - as Duck says, there's more money in pro boxing (atm), and also boxers have to forget so much they've learnt about fighting to transition to MMA.

Yeh 2017 could be the beginning of UFC starting to really hit it big in terms of elite athletes joining it.

I've always thought MMA has many parallels with Rugby, not necessarily in that sense specifically though.

Rousey is amazing, you know there are a lot of people who get touted as goat's/game changers/legends etc and get and adornment by fans and media. But few actually deserve it, Rousey does. Everyone is kinda drooling over her and I have to say myself included, I've been a big fan of hers since she came into MMA. While its true she probably wouldn't have got all the movie deals, cover shots, mainstream media buzz and coverage & advertising slots if she wasn't american but you can't say she doesn't deserve it.

And she just beat a brawler, maybe the best brawler in the division at brawling in 34sec... Insane, shame too I actually really prefer watching her judo and grapple, her balance and hips are superb. Anyone interested in beating her has to keep her hips away from their body.

Women's MMA is still fairly new but it really has exploded... The talent is come thick and fast and they are all improving, and you are getting more athletes crossing over from other sports like wrestling, boxing & kick boxing because of the higher profile the UFC has. But Ronda has been improving out of sight compared to the rest.

Tate & Zingano are amazing atheletes and the fight they had against each other was awesome, either of them would be worthy champions if not for Ronda. Zingano II would be interesting, tate at least made it to the 3rd round, showed good power in her last fight but I still dont thing she is as good as she has been. Holly Holm would be an interesting fight, holm is a disciplined striker, not a brawler like Betche, Ronda will not be able to outstrike Holm technically but can Holm keep it standing? I doubt it, she's shown she' physically strong and can use that to keep it standing but Ronda uses her opponents strength against them with judo, but at least it makes an interesting match up. Cyborg, well she's a roid moster, who will probably never make 135lbs and still be able to fight, it kinda looks like she struggles to make 145lbs.

Interestingly it seems the next fight is going to be Tate III and I dont think Zingano II is far away, Holm will come in somewhere, maybe a Holm vs. Zingano fight to figure out the next challenger after Tate.

Women's MMA is awesome, Joanna Jędrzejczyk is awesome as well. And holy crap Paige Vanzant is ridiculous, at first I thought it was just a bit of a gimmic a really pretty/cute blonde girl in the octagon, but no she's an absolutely sick fighter. IMO one of the most entertaining fighters to watch in the UFC period.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh 2017 could be the beginning of UFC starting to really hit it big in terms of elite athletes joining it.

Like CM Punk? :p

I actually think the UFC has evolved beyond that point, MMA has got to a level where its hard for other atheletes to crossover because what we have now is gifted atheletes who would excel in other sports training MMA from young ages fighting through the ranks to make the UFC. Guys in their ealy 20's who have been training & fighting for 10 years inspired by the early years UFC.

CM punk is going to be interesting, he seems like a likeable character and a smart dude. He's never going to make a ***le run but I hope he does well.

- - - Updated - - -

Like CM Punk? :p

I actually think the UFC has evolved beyond that point, MMA has got to a level where its hard for other atheletes to crossover because what we have now is gifted atheletes who would excel in other sports training MMA from young ages fighting through the ranks to make the UFC. Guys in their ealy 20's who have been training & fighting for 10 years inspired by the early years UFC.

CM punk is going to be interesting, he seems like a likeable character and a smart dude. He's never going to make a ***le run but I hope he does well.

Was talking more about the women's side of things not men's.

Which IMO it certainly hasn't gone beyond that point, and will have that draw of potentially bigger things compared to other sports.

No idea what to think about CM Punk in UFC - he's been injured so long he's lost a lot of the hype he had after his exit from WWE. That can only be a good thing for him, though, as he would have had a lot of expectations riding on him.

A lot of people thought Lesnar would be poor in the UFC - just a roided out gym monkey who wanted a crack at it, but he surprised a lot of people - maybe CM Punk will do the same? He's working under a great coach and the people he trains with have nothing but good things to say about his training/work ethic.
I don't really know a lot about the Welterweight division in UFC, since the GSP days anyway, so don't know what the competitive-ness is like.

Latest posts