munster actually have a backline this year

Discussion in 'Guinness Pro14' started by feicarsinn, Sep 1, 2007.

1. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

look at it

10 o'gara
    11 Howlett
    12 B Murphy
    13 R Tipoki
    14 B Carney
    15 dunno someone shite

add mafi warwick hurley and earls and theres a bit of potential

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. melon

melon Guest

That's not a bad backline at all...quite good actually! However, if O'Gara or Howlett get injured then its KERRRR-PLUNK!

What is the forward pack like?

4. ozzy

ozzy Guest

So is Howlett a sure thing?
    I've always rated Rua Tipoki very highly the man has amazing foot work. I always thought he would have gotten a shot at the ABs if it weren't for his discipline, he's a hard man and would have added a lot of mongrel that they are always talking about needing. I think Munster fans will be quite happy with him, though he plays best at 12.

5. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

you're forgetting about Lewis as well, I think that may well turn out to be Munster's best signing for the coming season.

6. shtove

shtove Guest

Everyone's talking about Howlett at fullback.

9. Stringer

10. ROG

11. Mafi

12. Tipoki

13. Murphy

14. Carney

15. Howlett

Can't say Lewis caught my eye last year. Munster needed this injection right after the HEC win - bit late in coming, but now the concern is the pack, wondering how they'll stand up to Leicester, Wasps, Scarlets and Stade F. And Sale, although their players will all get injured during the RWC and be out for 6 months.

7. candybum

candybum Guest

howlett was awesome at fullback for the blues a few seasons ago, his speed suits the fullback role. tipoki and howlett, great combo!!

8. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

well themunster pack is pretty much the irish one so we know it should be good in the loose but utter ******** at scrum time

1 hayes
    2 flannery
    3 horan
    4 o'callaghan
    5 o'connell
    6 Quinlan
    7 wallace
    8 leamy

9. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

swap the props though, slight difference between loose and tighthead and I wouldn't agree with your comments on the scrum either, sure Leicester did a number on them in the HEC match at Thomond but I can't recall another game where they were dominated in the scrum.

As for Lewis he didn't get much gametime at Leinster but when he did he certainly looked the part, Cheika is retarded for recognising local talent though so he was right to move to Munster and if Judas gives him gametime he'll prove he's a far better player than the likes of Murphy and Mafi.

10. shtove

shtove Guest

I'd be surprised to see Mafi at centre again. Murphy is still living off his "squiggly runner" reputation, so Lewis will probably be a strong challenge.

The backline is now frightening me. Have we gone too far, making the HEC in to an annual procession as POC lifts the cup with Stringer tucked inside?

11. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

get out of your pool and then maybe you'll be in a position to make those claims but a tad early yet methinks.

12. el_tk

el_tk Guest

Lewis can't defend to save his life and was nothing more than average last season.

13. O'Rothlain

O'Rothlain Guest

14. jaco

jaco Guest

They have got a pretty good backline
    But will it be best? I dont think so
    They have still a lot af spaces to fill

15. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

It doesn't have to be the best, they proved that in 2006.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!