• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 3 : Scotland Vs England 24/02/2018 16:45

My interpretation of this thread is that English fans have accepted their shortcomings and think that they were forewarned too but Owens was shithouse and has been for a while at international level, no point ignoring it.
But no referee is perfect especially in a sport where subjectivity and marginal calls are huge , are you suggesting Owens is biased towards a Particualr team ? If not then no point in mentioning it

Spot on ! It's easy to feel aggrieved and blame the ref when you've lost , rugby referring can be such a subjective game at the best of times some penalise certain things others don't and there are always marginal decisions it's the nature of the game I think they even themselves out throughout the tournament . I think it's easy to blame Owens because he's welsh and it only fair we take a stake in England losing I suppose but to be honest he's a decent official not the best in the world but decent .

The fact you are justifying everything and saying we shouldn't complain about the ref/TMO despite the fact you have been whinging about the TMO for a fortnight is quite frankly infuriating. Owens was awful today and I genuinely believe that a small part of that is to do with what happened a fortnight ago but we compounded our own mistakes . We CANNOT win the RWC whilst carrying passengers . Cole and Hartley come to mind . Robshaw at 7 is a mistake as it wasn't before and Lawes at 6 is too . We were totally bossed at the breakdown today and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why . Playing Hughes was a gamble that didn't pay off and not having 8 cover in the bench now just plain and simple looks amateurish

Spot on ! It's easy to feel aggrieved and blame the ref when you've lost , rugby referring can be such a subjective game at the best of times some penalise certain things others don't and there are always marginal decisions it's the nature of the game I think they even themselves out throughout the tournament . I think it's easy to blame Owens because he's welsh and it only fair we take a stake in England losing I suppose but to be honest he's a decent official not the best in the world but decent .

The fact you are justifying everything and saying we shouldn't complain about the ref/TMO despite the fact you have been whinging about the TMO for a fortnight is quite frankly infuriating. Owens was awful today and I genuinely believe that a small part of that is to do with what happened a fortnight ago but we compounded our own mistakes . We CANNOT win the RWC whilst carrying passengers . Cole and Hartley come to mind . Robshaw at 7 is a mistake as it wasn't before and Lawes at 6 is too . We were totally bossed at the breakdown today and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out why . Playing Hughes was a gamble that didn't pay off and not having 8 cover in the bench now just plain and simple looks amateurish

But no referee is perfect especially in a sport where subjectivity and marginal calls are huge , are you suggesting Owens is biased towards a Particualr team ? If not then no point in mentioning it
His interpretation was inconsistent with the law and today, as well as showings in recent history, suggest he shouldn't be on the international circuit. That's worth mentioning.

I don't disagree that Owens isn't as good as some people make him out to be, but too many posts I've read have tried shift the focus onto his performance rather than England's, and that is what is irritating me. As for the posts, mainly your post where you replaced two girls heads with Barnes and Owens.

Ok

look maybe i'm biased against Nige because I remember when i saw Nigel Owens at a grocery store in Bath a while ago. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly. When i confronted him about his behaviour after in the parking lot he just screamed at me saying "THIS ISN'T SOCCER YOU KNOW!!!!" and left.

It just shocked me really.

My interpretation of this thread is that English fans have accepted their shortcomings and think that they were forewarned too but Owens was shithouse and has been for a while at international level, no point ignoring it.
hit the Nail on the head IMO.

TBF to Nige, he has always let a lot go at the breakdown. I remember everyone was raving about a Nz vs SA game a few years back and he barely reffed the breakdown there too. He is a bad ref for England to get as we aren't very savvy at the breakdown really. I'm not saying he is biased against us, just a bad match up maybe.

Spot on. We were poor at breakdown as we have been for a long time. That's why we lost. However, the veneration of Owens needs to stop. He ain' the man he used to be and we all know it. Also we all should recognise Russell had his mojo game. When he plays like that he's the dog's danglies.

I'm 100% advocating that Owens was biased today . Checked absolutely everything for England today and literally zero for Scotland . It's not the reason the result happened but he's lost a whole lot of respect from me today . I used to be happy with him refereeing an England Wales game because he was the best ref in the world ! Now he plain and simply isn't and his ******** about giving players a school type telling off is getting seriously old ..... anyone else see a gouge by Scotland 8 at the end of the first half ?

Jones must end the Lawes at 6 and Robshaw 7 experiment, our back row is just too slow and because our forwards don't go into contact with support, we keep being isolated. I still can't work out why everyone is fanned out about 5m behind the guy who is only going to run a crash line? Why do we have nobody running a support line? If we aren't going to play a mobile back row then we need support there before contact.
Couldn't agree more, rather than shoehorning Lawes in at 6, take Kruis out of the 23 and bench one of Launch, Itoje or Lawes with the other 2 starting, Robshaw at 6, Underhill 7 and Hughes/Simmonds 8...

I'm 100% advocating that Owens was biased today . Checked absolutely everything for England today and literally zero for Scotland . It's not the reason the result happened but he's lost a whole lot of respect from me today . I used to be happy with him refereeingand England Wales game because he was the best ref in the world ! Now he plain and simply isn't and his ******** about giving players a school type telling off is getting seriously old ..... anyone else see a gouge by Scotland 8 at the end of the first half ?

Barnes refs like that vs the All Blacks, I think the point here is everyone has to endure bad calls, not much you can do really unless you want the IRB to come down hard on the refs.

Barnes refs like that vs the All Blacks, I think the point here is everyone has to endure bad calls, not much you can do really unless you want the IRB to come down hard on the refs.

Nah Barnes actually refs NZ, NZ fans just think that because all the other refs (Bar the french ones) let them get away with everything.

Big difference.

I don't think I've ever read a post on TRF that is so perfect . He seems to have bought into his persona as a diva and it's turned him into a shite ref

His interpretation was inconsistent with the law and today, as well as showings in recent history, suggest
I'm 100% advocating that Owens was biased today . Checked absolutely everything for England today and literally zero for Scotland . It's not the reason the result happened but he's lost a whole lot of respect from me today . I used to be happy with him refereeing an England Wales game because he was the best ref in the world ! Now he plain and simply isn't and his ******** about giving players a school type telling off is getting seriously old ..... anyone else see a gouge by Scotland 8 at the end of the first half ?
im not sure how you can suggest a referee that's Calibre of Owens is biased that's just plain nonsense , absolute rubbish to suggest it was because of 2 weeks ago . You need to take a minute to reflect on the game , maybe rewatch most of the decisions were just ! Yes there was marginal calls but this is rugby , England were dominated at the breakdown by a superior Scottish pack that was the reason you lost .. get on with it

I think England should get over it and try work on their shortcomings before they play Ireland anyway. Everyone gets bad calls, that's rugby because the laws are inconsistent and so is the officiating as a result.

I think England should get over it and try work on their shortcomings before they play Ireland anyway. Everyone gets bad calls, that's rugby because the laws are inconsistent and so is the officiating as a result.

Have the coaches or players complained about it?

Not like posters on here can help the team overcome their shortcomings.
I like to think i can but the RFU can't afford me yet.

Well, Owens is a better ref than Barnes and always has been and always will be, the majority of the world thinks so too, only selective English fans think Barnes is any good.

Latest posts