• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand 66 vs Ireland 28 FT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely forgot about this game, and I was actually up before 9am aswell! Looks likeit was an interesting one. From a Welsh perspective looking forward to next week, it's gonna be tough to take much out of this game. Obviously the All Blacks are good, they always are, but they were playing v 14 men for most of the game and sounds like Ireland made alot of errors too.

Can't believe Heaslip got himself red-carded. Probably one of the last players I'd have expected it from! Will have to see the incident to evaluate how bad it was, but it sounds like he'll get a couple of months on the sidelines.

Regarding Kearney's poor game. I know he was ewesome during the Lions tour, but he's shown some big frailties in the past for Leinster and Ireland. He's the kinda player that seems to either have blinders or shockers, not much in between. If he catched the first high ball, he'll probably catch everything thrown at him, but on the other hand if he misses the first, he'll probably make a few more howlers in the match. Probably a big confidence player, and that's never a good thing at full-back!

How come just about every player that makes a debut for NZ has a great game? Confidence never seems to be an issue, and whilst I'm sure playing alongside players like McCaw and Carter must be so reassuring, you'd think there'd be alot of pressure playign for a country with NZ's record.

To whoever disagreed with me about the Trimble try, he had downward pressure and was in control of the ball, although the ball was semi-dislodged, he never lost control. It was a good try IMO.

I'll give my 2c now my brain is back to normal.
All the debutants did really well.

Ben Franks: Had a very solid game, thought he played with a load of aggression. Solid scrummaging and good work rate. Try on debut also looks pretty nice as well.
Sam Whitelock: Made a big impact from the bench and scored two tries for his effort. Looks like he may be the starting lock for the Tri Nations.
Victor Vito: Made one or two big hits, but seemed to have a quiet game today. I'm sure he'll do better in the upcoming tests.
Aaron Cruden: Obviously wasn't as good as Dan Carter, but didn't really get enough time to express himself. Like Vito, I think he'll go better with more game time.
Benson Stanley: Solid debut, missed a few tackles, however he worked well with Conrad Smith, and had the odd moments of brilliance.
Israel Dagg: I thought he was a solid player in the S14, however he looked really good in and AB jersey. Cory Jane's best position is at FB, but he did really well on the wing, so it'll be interesting to see who is the starting FB for the Tri Nations, especially with Mils still in the picture.
CA, you said Rokocoko looked really quiet on the wing. He could have played better, no doubt, but he wasn't exactly getting much ball. I like the wing combination between the three. He may a few hard runs, I think he just needs to back his pace a bit more and have a crack. I'd rather see him try and make the odd mistake, rather than play it safe. Still, I'd start him against Wales.

I don't know Nick, Ireland have the worst scrum in international rugby, and even with 8 against 7 the All Blacks couldn't get much of a shove on, I wouldn't bee too happy with your scrum today.

Ireland Player Ratings:

15. Rob Kearney: 3.5 - Worst he has ever played in green
14. Tommy Bowe: 5.5 - Quiet, solid.
13. Brian O'Driscoll: 6.5 - Quiet at times, but solid, led well in difficult circumstances
12. Gordon D'arcy: 6.5 - Worked hard but was handled well, good try.
11. Andrew Trimble: 8 - The best of our backs, dynamic, great hands, always made ground and looked dangerous.
10. Ronan O'Gara: 2 - Shocking, penalties not finding touch, STUPID YELLOW CARD which cost us many points, better second half but still appalling
9. Tomás O'Leary: 3 - Awful passing, slow to get the ball away and when he did it was inacurate

8. Jamie Heaslip: 0 - *Facepalm*
7. David Wallace: 6.5 - tried hard, made no mistakes, but didn't have the cutting edge to make things happen
6. John Muldoon: 5 - not really on long enough, hope he gets better soon.
5. Mick O'Driscoll: 4 - just looked way out of his depth, Tuohy much better
4. Donncha O'Callaghan: 7 - warrior, stepped up played his heart out against quality opposition
3. Tony Buckley: 9 - Our best player, huge presence in the loose and did miraculously well locking out the 7 man scrum
2. Sean Cronin: 6 - Promising, good pace.
1. Cian Healy: 7 - worked tirelessly, solid scrummaging performance

16. John Fogarty: - not on long enough
17. Tom Court: 4 - Missed a tackle for the Whitelock try that he should have made considering he was just off the bench
18. Dan Tuohy: 7 - Big improvement on MickO, good pace, good in the lineout, debut to be proud of
19. Shane Jennings: 6 - Did OK I suppose, can't really fault him
20. Eoin Reddan: 6 - Big improvement on TOL
21. Jonny Sexton: 6 - Big improvement on ROG
22. Geordan Murphy: 6.5 - looked very dangerous, showed glimpses of class in the short while he was on

Last edited:
Just to say what a game to watch this morning.

If anything comes out of this tour it will hopefully be a frontrow that can actually work in the tightand and Tuohy steaking his claim for a berth in the squad more regularly. Today's frontrow was actually very good at scrumtime, odd considering we played two props who are percieved as being weak in the scrum.

This tour? You call this a tour??????????????? I'd call it a "hello-goodbye" whistle-stop jaunt down the "pound my ass and send me off without so much as a kiss" highway.

3 games is a modern tour. A shame yes, but that's the world we live in. Luckily real tours are on their way back in following the world cup, will be great.

3 games is a modern tour. A shame yes, but that's the world we live in. Luckily real tours are on their way back in following the world cup, will be great.

Damn right it will be good. I think everyone will be glad to see international teams playing provincials in interesting mid-week skirmishes. It's been far too long.

This tour? You call this a tour??????????????? I'd call it a "hello-goodbye" whistle-stop jaunt down the "pound my ass and send me off without so much as a kiss" highway.

I call it a rape and pillage tour to be honest.

But with the tourists laying down all they've brought with them instead of taking anything from the locals?

Well they may not conquer on the pitch but they did come and see ;)

If anything comes out of this tour it will hopefully be a frontrow that can actually work in the tightand and Tuohy steaking his claim for a berth in the squad more regularly. Today's frontrow was actually very good at scrumtime, odd considering we played two props who are percieved as being weak in the scrum.

That an interesting comment but I must say that Buckley is a quick learner and a hard-worker. In his short time working with Paul McCarthy in Munster his game overall has improved so much and well I think Tony will keep improving with the games (I know he not a youngster) and he'll be growing in confidence. Also i think it's only really from Feb on that Bucley really recovered from his illness's

ifr0p4.gif

Richie owes Cian Healy a drink I think haha :p

ifr0p4.gif

Richie owes Cian Healy a drink I think haha :p
Ha Ha - Still that was so unlike Heaslip stupid but not Heaslip

I've always been a fan of him and well never see him as a dirty player, always an honest, tough competitive player

Ah, hadn't seen that before as I missed the first half. Pretty un-excuasable
Reckon Healy blocked it on purpose, or just by luck? Looks like he say the first knee then twisted round

Yeah, looks like he went to block it delibrately to me, in which case he should be given alot of credit. It's a big man who, in the heat of battle, can realise what's more important.

Didn't see due to lack of sky. Will watch the highlights later though.

Totally unsurrprised, Wrong team even considering injuries.

I have been impressed by Touhy and unsurprised that he seems to be getting a bit of support.

P.S, been really busy lately but shall return and be prominent by next season. TOMMY BOWE TOMMY BOWE TOMMY BOWE!!! And all that crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.