• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

Dunno if anybody has been following the news recently:

NFL season in doubt as talks fail

just before the draft, the courts allowed players to train and use team facilities but within 24 hours ...

US appeals court restores NFL 'lockout'

Bit of a shambles if you ask me, players want more money, they get paid a shed load anyway. Hopefully this gets sorted soon.

I usually think these occurances are the result of greedy players, but after following this im actually siding with the players. I think its the GMs in the wrong here.

They do get 60% of revenue, which lets be fair is fair enough. 40% then goes to other things for Franchises as well as the NFL.

What infuriates me is that the top dollar earners Brees, Brady and Manning have filled lawsuits against the league yet they are earning top whack of the cash. Money they don't really need and could be used better elsewhere.

They do get 60% of revenue, which lets be fair is fair enough. 40% then goes to other things for Franchises as well as the NFL.

What infuriates me is that the top dollar earners Brees, Brady and Manning have filled lawsuits against the league yet they are earning top whack of the cash. Money they don't really need and could be used better elsewhere.

But they don't get 60% of all revenue, just 60% of what is left after the owners scrape the cream off the top. It has previously been that the owners take over 1 billion and the players get 60% of what is left, now the talk is that they want to kick it up closer to 2 billion.Due to the weird way in which the previous agreement was put together, players salaries were slightly decreasing and owner revenue was increasing anyway.
The owners are basically saying that the deal has to change because the NFL either is losing or stands to lose money, but it certainly doesn't appear that way to the players. The players have asked (politely i assume) to see some facts or official figures showing why the owners feel this way and they have been told that those figures aren't any of their buisness..

I agree that the big guns like Brady and Manning are acting like dicks, but the majority of the players seem to be in the right. Bear in mind that the lockout is predominantly being carried out by the owners (its more a case of "you aren't allowed to turn up to work" than "we refuse to work")

As much as I am not a union man, I totally agree with Ranger in his assesment, not a single team in the NFL is losing money, even franchises like Jacskonville and Buffalo are making money and the only reason they are rumoured as potential movers is to make even MORE money in a city like Los Angeles. I don't think either side was really getting a raw deal and the NFL shouldn't be jeopardizing their place as top dog in North American sports.

The only PA position I disagree with is the minimum pay for veteran players, right now there is a huge discount in sigining a younger yet less talented player over a journeyman veteran. This leads to a lot of decent players simply seeing there careers end after 5-6 seasons so teams can save half a million dollars to pay for their huge stars.

I'd also like to see competitive balance brought up to the table, I'm a fan of a team that has only had one or two even half decent seasons in the last dozen years(Buffalo) although poor managment is a big reason for their lack of success, there are lots of other teams that have been terrble for years running, eg. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Carolina, St. Louis and several more. It seems like we often see the same teams over and over agian in the playoffs even though its a 32 team league, on an aside a 7-9 team should never make the playoffs again like Seattle did last season.

In a couple of weeks I'll be posting some info on the Canadian version of gridiron the CFL, if your desperate for a gridiron fix you should check it out, the game is quite different in style although for the most part the quality(or in some cases simply size) of players is lower.

But they don't get 60% of all revenue, just 60% of what is left after the owners scrape the cream off the top. It has previously been that the owners take over 1 billion and the players get 60% of what is left, now the talk is that they want to kick it up closer to 2 billion.Due to the weird way in which the previous agreement was put together, players salaries were slightly decreasing and owner revenue was increasing anyway.
The owners are basically saying that the deal has to change because the NFL either is losing or stands to lose money, but it certainly doesn't appear that way to the players. The players have asked (politely i assume) to see some facts or official figures showing why the owners feel this way and they have been told that those figures aren't any of their buisness..

I agree that the big guns like Brady and Manning are acting like dicks, but the majority of the players seem to be in the right. Bear in mind that the lockout is predominantly being carried out by the owners (its more a case of "you aren't allowed to turn up to work" than "we refuse to work")

Ah ... well NFL.com reported / NFL Total Access said it was 60% of all revenue, or so I thought they said.

For me its still a disappointment that the NFL is still in a lockout and no sign of coming out of it.

The latest screens of Madden'12 look pretty tasty.

Anybody else following free agency? Absolutely crazy.

Watched those pre-season games today, specifically Seattle vs. San Diego. After watching so much rugby in the last few months, couldn't help from becoming extremely bored watching American football.
The time in-between plays is way too long, an incomplete pass destroys the flow of the game, and those massive pads they wear is really lame. Of course they play aggressively when wearing all that.
I liked football first, but rugby has now taken the lead and the gap between them is widening.

Tough call .... the WR is defenceless so its illegal but then some would argue its a routine hit.

Watched those pre-season games today, specifically Seattle vs. San Diego. After watching so much rugby in the last few months, couldn't help from becoming extremely bored watching American football.
The time in-between plays is way too long, an incomplete pass destroys the flow of the game, and those massive pads they wear is really lame. Of course they play aggressively when wearing all that.
I liked football first, but rugby has now taken the lead and the gap between them is widening.

The pads are necessary otherwise we would see deaths regularly on the field. But I agree on the time between plays in the CFL it is a 30 second playclock plenty enough time have no idea why the NFL needs 40 seconds.

Week 1 is nearly done, what you think of it, if you saw any of it.

How awesome was the GB vs NO game, a cracker and worth getting only 2 hours sleep after staying up to watch it. Big Ben got owned too on Sunday :lol: Currently ready to watch the Patriots vs Dolphins game.

Not sure what my Bills ate for breakfast but they need to keep it up massive 41-7 win over the Cheifs. Fitzpatrick looked really good at QB, with a home opener vs. the Raiders Bills could be 2-0.

Cam Newton seemed to fit right in too.
Hope the Patriots come up good tonight but the Jets are the ones I see maybe getting to lift the Vince Lombardi this year.

I died a little last night when my team Dallas threw away a 14 point 4Q lead against the Jets.

Upset beyond belief :lol:

But picked up 158 points in NFL.com/fantasy league this week so all is good :lol:

Not seen much coverage, but saw a wonderful 99yd TD pass from Brady. Don't much care for the Pats but you can't argue the class behind the pass.

Latest posts