• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

My Packers look anemic today. :rolleyes:

Cameron Jordan GIF by New Orleans Saints

Repeating is really hard, obviously they've done the best they can by keeping every starter but I still don't buy into it for whatever reason.
100% agree. But after seeing Week 1 it seems it could be a crazy year. Chiefs vs Browns was superb game and #15 is really a genius. Green Bay I feel are going to massively underachieve.

safe_image.php

Green Bay beat Pittsburgh and improves to 3-1, first place in the NFC North. :cool: Go Pack Go!

Last edited:
That's seven wins in a row. :cool: Go Pack Go!

Last edited:
Being the internet and all, when I have a positive thought, I should go out of my way to post it. Could we be seeing the dawn of a golden age in the NFL?

I fell deeply out of love with it back around 2008 or so when rule changes brought in a glut of dink & dunk tactics, huge 'yards after carry' stats against struggling defences and the rise of empty backfield, mobile QBs replacing running backs and sides forgetting what a fullback was.

All those tactics are still available and crazy high scoring matches where the last team to have the ball wins still happen. But in the last few years, most notably this year, defences have been getting a fair chance (with offensive pass interference), running backs have been rising in prominence (Chubb, Henry etc) and I've even spotted a few unicorns... I mean fullbacks.

We even had the Patriots win a game with only three attempted passes (I can't believe I even typed that sentence). Field goals and conversions are even more interesting (ditto).

Physical presence is making a return, filling the box to stop the run. But now with much safer tackling (no spearing etc) so your football heroes stand less chance of medical complications after retirement.

QBs are still the most important factor, but dink & dunk is being complemented by more deep ball threat, with passing yards being earnt in the air more rather after the catch. In short, the range of offensive and defensive tactics that are credible ways to win a match, and possibly a championship are as broad as they were pre-2008(ish).

I've not even started on the competitiveness of the league - was it four OT games last weekend? The NFC has the Bucs, Packers, Cardinals, Cowboys and Rams as their main challengers - all with completely different tactics on both sides of the ball. The AFC is even better, just massive competitive depth.

When I tune I don't know if I'll see a blowout, a defensive battle, who will win or what tactics will be most successful. I don't even know if the key players will be offensive, defensive, a QB or an O-Line & RB. So for me, I think this is a genuine golden age and I'll be cheering on defences around the league in shutting down mobile QBs like Jackson and Allen. Once more this will become the NFL, not college football.

If only I didn't support the Giants. :p

Packers took over the #1 seed in the NFC today with a 31-30 win over the Ravens. And they also clinched the NFC North for the third year in a row.

Go Pack Go! :)

Last edited:
Being the internet and all, when I have a positive thought, I should go out of my way to post it. Could we be seeing the dawn of a golden age in the NFL?

I fell deeply out of love with it back around 2008 or so when rule changes brought in a glut of dink & dunk tactics, huge 'yards after carry' stats against struggling defences and the rise of empty backfield, mobile QBs replacing running backs and sides forgetting what a fullback was.

All those tactics are still available and crazy high scoring matches where the last team to have the ball wins still happen. But in the last few years, most notably this year, defences have been getting a fair chance (with offensive pass interference), running backs have been rising in prominence (Chubb, Henry etc) and I've even spotted a few unicorns... I mean fullbacks.

We even had the Patriots win a game with only three attempted passes (I can't believe I even typed that sentence). Field goals and conversions are even more interesting (ditto).

Physical presence is making a return, filling the box to stop the run. But now with much safer tackling (no spearing etc) so your football heroes stand less chance of medical complications after retirement.

QBs are still the most important factor, but dink & dunk is being complemented by more deep ball threat, with passing yards being earnt in the air more rather after the catch. In short, the range of offensive and defensive tactics that are credible ways to win a match, and possibly a championship are as broad as they were pre-2008(ish).

I've not even started on the competitiveness of the league - was it four OT games last weekend? The NFC has the Bucs, Packers, Cardinals, Cowboys and Rams as their main challengers - all with completely different tactics on both sides of the ball. The AFC is even better, just massive competitive depth.

When I tune I don't know if I'll see a blowout, a defensive battle, who will win or what tactics will be most successful. I don't even know if the key players will be offensive, defensive, a QB or an O-Line & RB. So for me, I think this is a genuine golden age and I'll be cheering on defences around the league in shutting down mobile QBs like Jackson and Allen. Once more this will become the NFL, not college football.

Sticking by your team through thick and thin is admirable. I've been a Packers fan since I was 7 years old and they've gone through some very lean years too. That's the sign of a true fan, sticking by your team no matter what. So hang in there my friend. Ebb and flow, ridin' the waves of and interesting life! :cool:

Last edited:

Finally a fellow Giants fan.

I feel the pain but next year we will be back in playoffs :D

On the season. Packers or Kansas (who are finding mojo again) seem to be frontrunners.
Sneaky teams to watch are Cowboys and well not so sneaky but something still seems missing for me from Rams.

Arizona seem to be sizzling out. Although we all know it only about getting to January now and come January that when the afterburners are needed.

Tell you what has been great to see is how well Jordan Mailata has been doing at the Eagles.
Never played American football before, came from League and is a Pro bowl potential.

Latest posts