• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL

Personally I follow Hockey more closely (habs fan here and Center Ice subscriber) but I do like the Packers.

Being a Giants fan, i think i have to go with my boy Eli's brother in this final. I like the way the Colts have played for years, but something has to be said about the greatest offence in the NFL this season - the saints could easily take this game.
I just hope peyton keeps his head and doesn't let anything get to him.
Everyone expected Brady, the veteran, to rule the roost in '08 but a fast defence ruined him - i hope it doesn't go against manning.

I think Peyton has a cooler head than Tom Brady. Tom got away with it because his team could protect him long enough to make the passes. Any idiot can be an ultimate quarterback with the 2008 Pats at their peak but the moment they cocked up, Brady absolutely bottled it.

Meanwhile Ely Manning has had to spend much of his career buried under opposition players and manages to keep his head to pull off the Superbowl play of the decade almost.

What does that tell you?

I think Peyton will survive.

Always hated American football, but i'm going to watch the superbowl tomorrow, see if i can stomach it

I'm on the underdog Saints with a tenner, not expecting a win but will support them. Would be something truely special if they won given what they've been through.

So, who watched the super bowl in the end? Great game as always!!

For those who couldnt see it, go to NFL.com for free highlight videos.

I watched the first quarter at home and caught the last quarter in the pub as I had to go out but fantastic effort by the Saints, exciting final quarter.

Went nuts on that intercept TD. :bravo:

Great game - very clever defense from the Saints, did enough to contain Manning for 3 quarters, waited for him to get tense when they required a score, and then went for the jugular with the big intercept TD.

Drew Brees was immense, but the defense won it for New Orleans.

I watched it last night and one thing really confused me: When the teams score, does the crowd actually give a stuff?

It may not have come across on TV, but there didn't seem to be any celebratory cheers whenever anyone went over for a try. Even when the Poor-mans JdV did his 80m interception.

I heard the crowd go nuts for Porter when he returned that interception. I definitely heard the crowd go nuts when the Saints looked like they had it sewn up at the end. They were DEFINITELY going potty when the Saints went for the onside kick.

The thing is that the acoustics in American open air stadiums are completely different to European ones. There are no roofs to reverberate sound and the insides of the likes of the Superdome or Ford Field are cavernous in the extreme.

Considering the guy had to turn, see if Manning was throwing his way and then compete with a running back who also wants that ball to get the interception I wouldn't even compare it to an average JdV "thank you very much" snatch and grab from Charlie Hodgeson which basically consists of waiting for the idiot NH fly half to throw a crap lateral pass and take it. Two completely different things.

Problem with Manning is that he loves those short passes and Saints really did their best to confuse him. He got away with one long pass for the Colt's first TD but after that he was having to work overtime and it was showing. He had to make a mistake sometime.

Also the sheer audacity of the Saints was breathtaking, blew the Colts out of the water and they seemed shell shocked after the short kick taken after half time.

I really enjoyed last night's game.
Manning didn't choke like Brady did and we didn't have the dream throw that Roethlisberger threw last year, but there was still that one huge play that turned the game.
The pundits all said it was the intercept touchdown, but i think it's pretty obvious that the huge play that turned the game around was the Saints openside kick. It was crazy and brave but it was a huge play and it was that, which won them the match in my opinion.
They'd managed to get that crucial 2nd field goal in the 2nd quarter and to get the ball straight back was coaching brilliance - with a bit of luck.

THe crowd was brilliant last night, a lot of them were Saints fans (which is udnerstandable given that its in miami), but whenever manning had to pull out a big 3rd down they were riling him and jeering and they were loud whenever they made a big play.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I watched it last night and one thing really confused me: When the teams score, does the crowd actually give a stuff?

It may not have come across on TV, but there didn't seem to be any celebratory cheers whenever anyone went over for a try. Even when the Poor-mans JdV did his 80m interception.[/b]

It did on the radio, you could hear the Saints fans going mad when Porter ran it in.

Good game, Colts could have taken the game or made it closer. Wayne should have caught that ball and Manning was done by the Saints not blitzing for the first time.

Now I know I'm going to get shouted down on this but the guy who almost made it over on the Saints 4th down in the first half. He could have made it over if he had side-stepped to the right.

Watch the play again on the highlights. He has basically one guy in front of him and two to his left. He has two seconds with which to beat him and storm over the line before the two guys to the left come and beat him. He also has acres of room to his right.

A simple side step would have made it a one on one with an extra second to make it over. The guys to his left were basically falling over themselves to get to him because they were almost lateral to him.

Wasted opportunity IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("bullit")</div>
It may not have come across on TV, but there didn't seem to be any celebratory cheers whenever anyone went over for a try. Even when the Poor-mans JdV did his 80m interception.[/b]

They were cheering at that point but you have to understand the Superbowl consists of no regular fans, they are all corporates who are there to network as opposed to watch a game. It's depressing but true. All the real fans are sitting in the bars as opposed to in the stadium.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Prestwick")</div>
The thing is that the acoustics in American open air stadiums are completely different to European ones. There are no roofs to reverberate sound and the insides of the likes of the Superdome or Ford Field are cavernous in the extreme[/b]

Don't include the Superdome in that, that building is old school and reverberates a lot of sound if you watched the Pats/Saints earlier this year you'd understand what I mean. Same thing goes for the dome in Minnesota, which will soon be gone. It's the new "corporate" friendly stadiums that are taking away some of the noise (ie they are built with an insane number of corporate boxes). Also, with the invention of HD tv it's actually more fun to stay at home to watch the game as opposed to going to the game given the start/stop nature and large number of tv breaks. So that attracts a less enthusatic/less drunk crowd.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Problem with Manning is that he loves those short passes and Saints really did their best to confuse him. He got away with one long pass for the Colt's first TD but after that he was having to work overtime and it was showing. He had to make a mistake sometime.[/b]

Manning is the (now) second best Qb in the league, he is the most efficient and he doesn't "love" any singular type of pass. The problem was the old choke artist Payton came out in the third Q (you may not have picked up but there was a play when he lost track of time and couldn't get the play off, something that NEVER happens for Manning). What led to the intercept was the fact that they ran the exact same play two plays earlier. They just had Garcon in motion to make it look different but it was the same slant play, and this time they recognized it and picked it off. Historically speaking it's the worst throw ever thrown. If he makes that throw and they come back Peyton can be considered the best Qb of his generation and goes up there and matches Joe Montanna for best ever, or he makes the throw he does and he's back to just being a great Qb but still Brady's ***** and average in the playoffs (career record of 9-9 when it counts).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("RC")</div>
Manning didn't choke like Brady did and we didn't have the dream throw that Roethlisberger threw last year, but there was still that one huge play that turned the game.[/b]

See above for why that was very much a Manning choke and Brady has never choked anywhere near the level Payton has in the past and what was an atrocious, terrible, brutal throw. Brady is the most clutch Qb ever next to Joe Montana that much almost cannot be denied. He's got the 3 rings to prove it. Doesn't match Montana's 3 superbowl MVP's but still mighty impressive.

And yes Prestwick, too often guys get caught up in dive over the top/go up the middle crap because it's what they've seen on NFL Films since Superbowl one.

You see this is why we created Canada.

Because no American would have the attention span long enough or the size of brain big enough to store enough knowledge to give me such a comprehensive and wide ranging analysis of this issue!

Watching it back and it has got me thinking. Was that on side kick the greatest tactical move ever in professional sport?

It was but only because of the reaction of the Colts who were like "HOLY SH*T!!!!!!11212121"

After that the Colts just seemed to be backpedalling, even when on the offensive.

Latest posts