• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NHL Thread

Probably because I hadn't done my research properly and hadn't realized that the Wildcats had dropped the flying part of their name a couple of years after World War Two LOL. So possibly Wild Tigers could have been a option.

As opposed to domesticated Tigers :lol:

As opposed to domesticated Tigers :lol:

you called?:

siegfried-and-roy.jpg

I also think that Winnipeg would be happy with the Thrashers moving there. They have a young core group with a very bright future. I had a feeling that something was wrong in Atlanta when they axed their third shirt before the season even ended and were in talks of altering their look entirely.

That was ... fast. Anyone else thinking that the Coyotes will eventually end up in Canada too?

The sympathy teams in my eyes are these:

- Pittburgh Penguins

What do you mean by sympathy teams?

I could never sympathize for the Pens. They have one of the largest fan bases in the league. I still can't believe that back in 2004/05 there were talks in moving the franchise. The league has no idea what they're doing.

Anyway, teams like the Isles, Panthers and Predators could use more fans.

The Predators have really gone all out this off season in altering their image for the better. That sleek new golden look is fantastic and bold. I like that they kept most of their team intact and have really shown confidence in Shea. The Predators have the best coach in the league, possibly the world, right now in my honest opinion. With the squad they have I don't think they would be where they are in terms of their recent success without Barry Trotz. He's been there since the beginning.

New York might be a huge city, but apparently not big enough for 2 NHL franchises. I think it would be better if the franchises would be better structured and divided. It's weird how the Red Wings are in the Western Conference. I was hoping for a new structure with the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg to continue as the Jets.

Nashville has done perfect this season. I hope they can build on this and get out of the slump they've been in.

New York might be a huge city, but apparently not big enough for 2 NHL franchises. I think it would be better if the franchises would be better structured and divided. It's weird how the Red Wings are in the Western Conference. I was hoping for a new structure with the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg to continue as the Jets.

Nashville has done perfect this season. I hope they can build on this and get out of the slump they've been in.

Don't forget New Jersey is also extremely close to New York City so there are really three teams in the area. The Isles fan base has been in decline bcause they are one if not the worst run franchises in the league. Winnpieg will be changing conferences next season as the scehdule couldn't be changed in time this year. Detroit is one of the teams rumoured to come over to the East.

The Devils are definitely considered a third New York team. Los Angeles also has two teams (Kings and Ducks). The league was never structured well from the beginning because ice hockey wasn't a popular sport far west. As interest grew more opportunities arose, but the league often failed to place teams in the right markets. Portland, Oregon is still waiting for a professional ice hockey team and yet the city is one of the fastest growing in the country, not to mention sports crazy. They even have one of the better arenas in the country.

To be honest, as much as I'd like to see the Coyotes move to Québec City, it would just screw up the conferences again. I'd prefer to see the Coyotes move to Portland to create a brand new franchise. If we're to see the Nordiques again, I'd prefer to wait a while when the league finally expands to 32 teams to max out.

If I had to choose which team would go east for 2012-13, it would be the Predators hands down. They're southeast on the map and would fit in perfectly where Atlanta left a hole. It would also increase the quality of that division with the Bolts and Caps. From there they should move the Jets into the northwest division to have four Canadian teams and the Colorado Avalanche. Take the Wild and move them into the central division.

However, if by chance the Coyotes were to move in time for scheduling it would work out for the best. Let's say they move to Portland, which is a possibility, so you'd have the Avalanche in the southwest. Keep the Wild central and move the Portland franchise northwest.

Last edited:
Portland is a pretty good option the Northern United States is where the game has to be located outside of Canada it was a crime that Minnesota went without a team for several years, if a team moves to Quebec City, Columbus could be an option, not really a Western team even though they are in that conference and I know they are struggling at the gate.

I also like Nashville moving over that keeps the Detroit rivalries with teams like the Hawks, and Blues alive as well.

Portland is a pretty good option the Northern United States is where the game has to be located outside of Canada it was a crime that Minnesota went without a team for several years, if a team moves to Quebec City, Columbus could be an option, not really a Western team even though they are in that conference and I know they are struggling at the gate.

I also like Nashville moving over that keeps the Detroit rivalries with teams like the Hawks, and Blues alive as well.

If Columbus were to move east to Québec City at any time, who would move west? It seems possible, though I must admit I wasn't aware they were struggling so much to sell tickets. It seems like they must be okay for now though since they debuted a new sweater last season. Atlanta were supposed to do the same, but ended up axing it. Now we know why! I feel bad for the fans though ... two franchises lost in the span of three decades. One good thing is that I hope it shows the NHL that hockey belongs north since both of Atlanta's franchises ended up relocating to Canada.

if Québec City regains a team, its a pretty easy move. swap winnipeg and québec city, and possibly move pittsburgh to the SE

if Québec City regains a team, its a pretty easy move. swap winnipeg and québec city, and possibly move pittsburgh to the SE

I don't think the league will like the rival PA teams in different divisions. The NHL is super picky with that.

I don't think the league will like the rival PA teams in different divisions. The NHL is super picky with that.
it would also set up a pittsburgh washington divisional rivalry

either way it doesnt matter, the league is (rumoured) to be moving to a four divison setup next year, with one 8 team and one 7 team division per league

it would also set up a pittsburgh washington divisional rivalry

either way it doesnt matter, the league is (rumoured) to be moving to a four divison setup next year, with one 8 team and one 7 team division per league

Considering how bunched the east is and the scattered mess in the west, that would be a good idea at this point. If that does happen the league could go back to the names honoring individuals. For instance the two conferences being named Prince of Wales and Clarence Campbell again. I actually liked that. If so, the league could end up looking like this:

Adams division
Boston Bruins
Buffalo Sabres
Montréal Canadiens
New Jersey Devils
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs

Patrick division
Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers
Nashville Predators
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

Norris division
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Minnesota Wild
St. Louis Blues

Smythe division
Anaheim Ducks
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
San Jose Sharks
Vancouver Canucks
Winnipeg Jets

Looking at it now ... not so sure if I'd like that.

I'd rather they just go with the full conferences of 15 and play a balanced schedule something MLB is rumoured to be thinking of.

I'd rather they just go with the full conferences of 15 and play a balanced schedule something MLB is rumoured to be thinking of.
if the majors leagues did that, that would be terrible. they are twp seperate leagues, and yes. i am against interleague, but thats not the point

(according to said rumours)

they are still having two confrences, with 15 teams each, just each confrence will have a divison of 8, and a divison of seven in it. two confrences, four divisons

why the hell can't the NHL leave it's self alone. the product is good, there needs to be a couple of tweeks now Winterpeg is back in

for god's sake leave things alone, they seem to make change for change's sake

Good stuff, thanks. After reading through that it seems like the board are taking a lot of things into consideration. I guess it depends on what all of the teams want in the end that will ultimately decide how the league will be shaped.

why the hell can't the NHL leave it's self alone. the product is good, there needs to be a couple of tweeks now Winterpeg is back in

for god's sake leave things alone, they seem to make change for change's sake

I would get rid of the god awful shootout and bring back ties/draws. But I agree the product is changed on what seems like a weekly basis.

I would get rid of the god awful shootout and bring back ties/draws. But I agree the product is changed on what seems like a weekly basis.

i actually like the shoot out. the product post lock out is MILES better than pre lock out.

it just seems we are always changing something...let it run for a while

Latest posts