• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nick Easter or James Haskell

yeelesy

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Esher
I think this is quite a controversial topic. Both good players with completely different styles of play, to an extent.

Easter is a great ball-carrier and has the highest rate of broken tackles in the England squad, but perhaps lacks a great amount of dynamism. He reads the game well and is a very determined player and plays with high intensity.

Haskell is a strong quick player who can play at 6 or 8. a player who offers much more utility in the team. he has more dynamism and runs great lines. however he concedes a lot of penalties and perhaps doesnt read the game quite as well.

I think Johnson is making the right decision with starting Easter, but it is a controversial subject.

Any thoughts?

I think this is quite a controversial topic. Both good players with completely different styles of play, to an extent.

Easter is a great ball-carrier and has the highest rate of broken tackles in the England squad, but perhaps lacks a great amount of dynamism. He reads the game well and is a very determined player and plays with high intensity.

Haskell is a strong quick player who can play at 6 or 8. a player who offers much more utility in the team. he has more dynamism and runs great lines. however he concedes a lot of penalties and perhaps doesnt read the game quite as well.

I think Johnson is making the right decision with starting Easter, but it is a controversial subject.

Any thoughts?

At the moment it has to be Easter, he has been great for England in the last couple of games. The downside to his game is the lack of pace, other 8's are faster, including Haskell. I think it depends on who is playing 6. If Haskell or Croft plays then Easter's lack of overall mobility doesn't get exploited whereas a larger 6 is played then a more mobile 8 is needed

yes that is an intelligent comment, we are safe with croft or haskell at 6 as there pace makes up for easter's lack of it

At the moment it has to be Easter, he has been great for England in the last couple of games. The downside to his game is the lack of pace, other 8's are faster, including Haskell. I think it depends on who is playing 6. If Haskell or Croft plays then Easter's lack of overall mobility doesn't get exploited whereas a larger 6 is played then a more mobile 8 is needed

i agree but Haskell is what i would call 'a big 6'

i agree but Haskell is what i would call 'a big 6'

He is but overall power is not his prime attribute, when I said "big" 6 I was thinking of Hill or Dallaglio, those types of players.

I agree that haskell gives away stupid penaltys but i would put him in if he didnt . Also Easter had a great game against new Zealand butr i dont think he follwed that performance up against Australia and his lack of pace and tendancy to often drop the ball lets him down but on form he is first choice

On current form: Easter, but overall: Haskell.

I'm a big fan of Haskell, and would've had him on the bench over Fourie in the last two matches

I think i have to agree and say Haskell should have been on the bench instead of Fourie. Fourie does very well and stands out for his club, but we must remember that he plays for Leeds, so this is inevitable. I don't think he is yet a test player, and i expect for the game v SA next saturday Haskell on the bench, and easter starting though he needs to improve his hands...but i am a big fan of him...

If Easter keeps playing that well, there's no reason to drop him.
That said, I think that Haskell, Dowson and Crane should all be considered as options for the future, with Haskell top of the list.

Shocking that Crane hasn't had a look in since during the Lions tour, same with Dowson (though he's a little further up the pecking order in the "we'll call you up then not use you" spot)

Honestly I don't think Crane made much of his (albeit limited) chances with England, and that could be why he slipped out of the side.
Another person this happened to was Narraway not too long ago. I still think that guy is national standard...

Aye, but Crane was only 22 during his last cap, and 20/21 in his first appearance, not like you can count a player out when he's so young
Think he deserves another shot going on his form for Leicester

That's the point though. He is undoubtedly a good option for the future, but at the moment both Haskell and Easter are ahead of him - probably Dowson as well - and none of them look like budging.

Latest posts