• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northampton Saints vs Munster

He was superb but was very impressed with Lawes as well, they seemed to miss him when he went off.

Well Lads must say what a game :bravo:

Northampton were very good and can't complain about the result but thought Munster finished brilliantly and have a feeling that the loosing Bonus point will be vital.

Was it just me or when Mafi went off we improved massively. Think JDV and Mafi don't work well and Earls did well when in at 13.

Think Thomond in January will be the game as Perpignan will just try win home games and give up on away days.
Thought our pack were out-muscled at time but think we're still a bit rusty. But also Munster's defence was brilliant when needed at vital times.

Great match, but not a classic - three tries came from clueless defence.

O'Leary had a rotten 60 mins, was hoping Stringer would come on for tackling and ... errr ... catching that thing they call the ball. But his try was a beaut, and he took some great decisions towards the end. Backs didn't really threaten, and Mafi made a howler stepping out of the line to let Geraghty through on the second try. Still not seeing much going on for Munster in the centre, and I'm pretty sure JdV is a plod - but it's a work in progress.

Saints have some awesome players. Geraghty is a bit of a genius. Foden very strong joining the line. Lawes is a monster, but probably not old enough to have built up his stamina. Best of the lot was Tonga in the front row.

They have a great mix, and managed the crucial score-before-halftime trick, but idiotically failed to close out the match on their own possession and gave Munster another chance. Wondering why Munster went for the tap instead of the scrum - would have sliced Saints open on the operating table - I guess they knew the front row would have been monstered.

Anyway, fair f***s to Saints and their mighty supporters. Munster deliver on drama again. And get their bonus point.

I'm off!

After that performance at 10 from Geraghty, i'm thinking i would rather see him play 20 minutes at 10 coming on for Wilkinson than a match at inside centre. He played 12 on the opening day and did not really impress until he was switched to fly-half. Maybe he was still learning to play with Myler but he would be learning to play with Wilkinson too. I'm beginning to think that Hipkiss is the go-to man at 12 even though he prefers 13. Anyway, this isn't an England thread.

Well done Northampton!

great match it was an absolute classic...match like this should be shown to young players to learn something about commitment and willing to win at all costs.
congrats to both teams for their courage and their rugby.
the HC begun as we expected, always with great battles !
i love this game

Classic HC fixture. Intense, nailbiting... everything you could possibly want from a rugby match.

Saints were operating at a different level. If they can raise their game this high every time there's an important match, they'll go far this season.

Very impressed with Saint's pack. Courtney Lawes made O'Callaghan look inconspicuous, and was never bettered by O'Connell. Can't wait to see him in an England shirt asap, he'll add the bite our pack's been lacking since Corry et. al retired.

Geraghrty's made a very convincing case for playing 12 for England. Goalkickins is not good enough to be an out and out 10 at international level, but he's a lovely player otherwise and doesn't seem to have thhe defensive liabilities of other wingers.

The Irish half back (I forget his name)at 12 was immense as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 11 2009, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very impressed with Saint's pack. Courtney Lawes made O'Callaghan look inconspicuous, and was never bettered by O'Connell. Can't wait to see him in an England shirt asap, he'll add the bite our pack's been lacking since Corry et. al retired.

The Irish half back (I forget his name)at 12 was immense as well.[/b]
Courtney Lawes really is a great prospect. I know Mite has been on about him for a year or so, but this was my first opportunity to see him play. He's an absolute brute, some massive tackles from him last night. However that's not the only part of his game, he also did eveything else you expect from a second row. Can't believe he's still only 20!

Yup Downey also had a cracker. He basically bullied JdV all night. That hit he made early on was massive, don't think JdV ran with the ball again untill Downey was substituted lol.

So what are chance of Munster petting Earls into the centre as JDV and Mafi didnt work and when Mafi was substituted the balance looked so much better and we improved for a powerful finish.

not sure, think McGahan will give Mafi another few chances, shouldn't make a difference next week but if it's still misfiring by the time they play Ulster well then Earls should start the December pool matches alongside JDV.

Agree that McGahan won't change but think something has to give as I would like to see Dowling back in too as he is consistent and reliable. Think Ulster game in Thomond is massive because of our situation at moment and the result of this fixture last year!!

Didn't have the heart to read the thread properly. So I'll make some quick points from what I scanned:

1. Lawes was awesome.
2. Geragahagahgaghty was class too,
3. Ref has some wierd ruck interpretation, but I won't object because he shat on both teams.
4. Nice to see people coming around to my dislike of Mafi. He needs to stop butchering chances with his glory-hunting. Which he won't do. So drop him.
5. Northampton deserved to win and Munster got a bonus point and going into the match I'd totally have settled for that so all is good,
6. Thank god Perpignan lost. Should be a wierd group alltogether now.

That's it.

oh yes, and I eat the pie of humble. Downey is a massive immovable wall.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Oct 11 2009, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Didn't have the heart to read the thread properly. So I'll make some quick points from what I scanned:

1. Lawes was awesome.
2. Geragahagahgaghty was class too,
3. Ref has some wierd ruck interpretation, but I won't object because he shat on both teams.
4. Nice to see people coming around to my dislike of Mafi. He needs to stop butchering chances with his glory-hunting. Which he won't do. So drop him.
5. Northampton deserved to win and Munster got a bonus point and going into the match I'd totally have settled for that so all is good,
6. Thank god Perpignan lost. Should be a wierd group alltogether now.

That's it.

oh yes, and I eat the pie of humble. Downey is a massive immovable wall.[/b]
Monkey wouldn't say i dislike Mafi and do rate him as a player but for the way he plays it's not suited to 13 1 bit. He broke the line of defence and Geraghty punished it perfectly when Mafi should have just held his defensive line. And my call for Mafi to be on bench is not because he is a bad player but because when JDV and Earls went into centres the team looked alot more balanced and I am massive fan of Dowling.

But as you said getting the loosing bonus point is something I'm happy with considering Northampton could've got a Bonus point.

Well done Saints :bravo:

That is why the HEC is the greatest club competition on earth. A tremendous advertisement for the game.

Lawes was indeed very good, but nowhere near as good as Barnes and Harrison were saying, that stuff was cringe worthy, especially when they went on for 20 seconds about how good a tackle he supposedly made on the kickoff was, when the replay showed it was Reihana :lol:

Buckley did better thsn I expected, held his own in the scrum most of the time, was much better than Brugnaut.

Big step up from last week, and as the Lions get more games under their belt we will only get better, and their is plenty room for Improvement.

Downey had a great game, hope Deccie was watching.

Warwick got the drop goal I predicted :D

O'Leary had an appalling first half, I honestly can't remember him ever not looking competent under the highball before. great try though. Rog did pretty well too.

Ryan (who played very well when he came on) in for DOC, Dowling in on the wing and Earls to 13 are the only change I'd make for next week, where 5 points is a must.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Oct 11 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lawes was indeed very good, but nowhere near as good as Barnes and Harrison were saying, that stuff was cringe worthy, especially when they went on for 20 seconds about how good a tackle he supposedly made on the kickoff was, when the replay showed it was Reihana :lol:[/b]

I did think Lawes played tremendously well for his age and experience, but one thing that does annoy me is that i can't seem to watch a Northampton match without one of the commentators going on about how he is 'such an athlete'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Oct 11 2009, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Oct 11 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lawes was indeed very good, but nowhere near as good as Barnes and Harrison were saying, that stuff was cringe worthy, especially when they went on for 20 seconds about how good a tackle he supposedly made on the kickoff was, when the replay showed it was Reihana :lol:[/b]

I did think Lawes played tremendously well for his age and experience, but one thing that does annoy me is that i can't seem to watch a Northampton match without one of the commentators going on about how he is 'such an athlete'
[/b][/quote]

It's the politically correct way of saying 'he's big and black and scares me'. Stuart Barnes is a berk anyway he makes players sound like unbeatable gods when they're playing well.

woohoo.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Oct 10 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great match, but not a classic [/b]
:huh: Superb match, best I've seen in years.

Of note;
- O'Gara hissy fits make I chortle.
- O'Connell really must stop gobbing off at referees.
- James Downey is welcome to have a crack at any future girlfriends/wives/mistresses I have as of today, any time he likes
- What an atmosphere!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- O'Connell really must stop gobbing off at referees.[/b]
Yeah its even starting to annoy me. Its non-stop.

Was a really good game to watch. Was shouting on Munster but was also happy for the Saints when the whistle blew in the end. It meant a lot to them.

The Saints were certainly up for it and well worth the win in the end. Geraghty and the Pacific Islander prop stood out for me (and yes Laws is a massive prospect, I'd have him in the Irish squad now, dont see why England should wait). Munster still look way off the pace. It was an improvement over the RDS but if it wasnt for a few opportunistic scores they could have been on the end of another hammering.

O'Connel and O'Callaghan looked pedestrian. Quinlan and Leamy too. Defensively they (or DeVilliers) are really struggling and their backline isnt functioning. Thank **** they have Treviso next week.

Incidently. Given the spanking that Perpi..... took in the French media, this may not be a good time to go play the French Champions. Plenty of twists left in this group. But the perfect start.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Oct 12 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- O'Connell really must stop gobbing off at referees.[/b]
Yeah its even starting to annoy me. Its non-stop.

Was a really good game to watch. Was shouting on Munster but was also happy for the Saints when the whistle blew in the end. It meant a lot to them.

The Saints were certainly up for it and well worth the win in the end. Geraghty and the Pacific Islander prop stood out for me (and yes Laws is a massive prospect, I'd have him in the Irish squad now, dont see why England should wait). Munster still look way off the pace. It was an improvement over the RDS but if it wasnt for a few opportunistic scores they could have been on the end of another hammering.

O'Connel and O'Callaghan looked pedestrian. Quinlan and Leamy too. Defensively they (or DeVilliers) are really struggling and their backline isnt functioning. Thank **** they have Treviso next week.

Incidently. Given the spanking that Perpi..... took in the French media, this may not be a good time to go play the French Champions. Plenty of twists left in this group. But the perfect start.
[/b][/quote]

Perpingnan are gonna be hacked off and will want to make amends. You'd hope. Equally it's a good time to play them as confidence is going to be low so you'd want to, as a visiting team, to twist the knife. As we know from watching the French in the 6N french fans get on the teams back if they're losing. That should be the key to any visiting team, get the fans quiet or jeering . Once that happens you have Perpi where you want them

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 12 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
- O'Connell really must stop gobbing off at referees.
- James Downey is welcome to have a crack at any future girlfriends/wives/mistresses I have as of today, any time he likes[/b]

Very much agreed. O'Connell's attitude seemed to be 'I'm Lions Captain ref, I'm Munster captain ref, I won a grand slam, you owe me this decision'. Saw him change the subject completely when Hayes was getting sent off against Leinster, the ref's going 'You've done a stamp to the head' and POC goes 'but what about them going off their feet??!!' or something minor like it.

Also, Downey slaughtered de Villiers.

Latest posts