• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Northern dominance?

question....if Pacific Islanders going to europe rather than NZ (once again most PI players are born in NZ and NZ IS a Pacific Island) is going to stop us dominating....wont that mean the European teams WILL start dominating more?
Just wait until all the South Africans with British passports start hitting the right age
All three Du Preez brothers, Akker Van Der Merwe and Coenie Oosthuizen have had children born in England

We're going to dominate

It could shape that way certainly. I suppose you would even have to say that atm the NH sides would be favorites in each of the more likely qfs as well even if only slight favorites in each case.

Just to clarify I have the most likely match ups being

Ire v NZ
Fran v Sa
Wal v Arg
Eng v Fiji

I suppose looking at that now probably Wales and England would even be firm(ish) favorites? And then Ireland and France favorites and not slight favorites as I said but then losing to either NZ or SA would not be considered upsets either.

Just want to call out this perfect prediction of the quarters

question....if Pacific Islanders going to europe rather than NZ (once again most PI players are born in NZ and NZ IS a Pacific Island) is going to stop us dominating....wont that mean the European teams WILL start dominating more?
Yes. I mean if we want to see the trend, France have been back dooring island players for about 6/7 years or so, they have won 3 u20 championships in a row.

Now I'm not saying this is all island players, but as I've made the case before, the very best of those island players, added to a good team makes a hell of a difference. France are dominant at U20's level, and already have an incredibly young side competing with the best.

Just wait until all the South Africans with British passports start hitting the right age
All three Du Preez brothers, Akker Van Der Merwe and Coenie Oosthuizen have had children born in England

We're going to dominate

Akker and Coenie have moved back to South Africa. I imagine their children would rather play for the Boks. Although it is nice to have options.

I guess real questions need to be asked about the fragility of NH sides when it really matters. Statistically the NH record at the world cup is atrocious and the records against SH sides until very recently was extremely lop sided and has been for a long time. This year was easily the most competitive set of NH sides ever put out (and in general has there ever been a WC with 4 realistic ***le contenders?) but the NH again fell when it mattered. The losses may all have been close but every single one was a loss.

Some serious sports psychology work needs to be done on NH teams.

Well at least except for 1999, 2015 (annus horribilis of NH) and now the semifinals were always equally split between NH / SH. After that though NH found themselves competing more for the wooden spoon than for silverware.

I guess real questions need to be asked about the fragility of NH sides when it really matters. Statistically the NH record at the world cup is atrocious and the records against SH sides until very recently was extremely lop sided and has been for a long time. This year was easily the most competitive set of NH sides ever put out (and in general has there ever been a WC with 4 realistic ***le contenders?) but the NH again fell when it mattered. The losses may all have been close but every single one was a loss.

Some serious sports psychology work needs to be done on NH teams.
I think this is simplifying things some what, NZ we're head and shoulders above most for a long time didn't always win and probably should have more, then SA have won 50% of their WCs with a very similar set of players, I don't think their players are all the best in their positions but most would be part of a conversation, then there is a player on the bench who is of similar quality, most don't have the depth to match this, it was pretty telling in the knockout stages, I can't really recall many previous WCs where I would be calling many teams in the NH genuine contenders, Ireland for what ever reason seem to really struggle despite form etc but I think ultimately they are the main enigma NH wise.

Latest posts