• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] France vs. South Africa (18/11/2017)

There's nothing special about AC. He is not very big and is easy to stop, he struggles to break tackles. He is nothing compared to what Willie Le Roux was at his peak.

Should be fun to see Gelant play then. He is like 4 or 5 years younger than AC, which is probably why AC is the heir apparent, but it will be fun to see how he plays.

I strongly suspect we will play the same team vs Italy (minus a few enforced changes). AC hasn't shown much selection courage before.

Yes, it seems that he has come out and said that.

I am sure that some changes will be required to simply manage the players, but a rest for Skosan, Coatzee and Cronje seems to be in order. I would hope to see two of those three players not start.

Oh and Kriel.

That said, France are atrocious. Analytically, France should be at the same level as England - very similar in terms of economics and general rugby culture, but they are way worse. What is wrong? Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Yes France's last game v SA was the most pitiful display of inept rugby I've ever watched them play.

It comes down to decades of bad politics between the union (FFR) and the clubs. The union have shut out the clubs over the national team for the last 20 yrs when they should have gone into shared partnership with them. In the end the clubs had enough and turned their back. The recruitment in Top 14 is one of the consequences. Now the **** is hitting the fan for real.

The union have one way out of this mess. They either directly contract the internationals or the national team goes to hell.

Yes France's last game v SA was the most pitiful display of inept rugby I've ever watched them play.

It comes down to decades of bad politics between the union (FFR) and the clubs.

Wow we agree.

The union have shut out the clubs over the national team for the last 20 yrs when they should have gone into shared partnership with them. In the end the clubs had enough and turned their back.

This is the most ridiculous and uninformed statement. What shared partnership ? Shut out ?

You should really learn the history of the french rugby and especially the beginning of professionalism era in France before throwing statement like this.

This was an association of elite clubs who have decided to create an elite championship with 16 clubs in 1998 (with the forcing of the sport minister at the time), they went their own way without never trying to find any compromise with the union (ha yes the compromise was : do what we want), they have vampirized the french rugby for money. And 20 years after, here we are, the wonderful model wanted by this association is a success :rolleyes:

The recruitment in Top 14 is one of the consequences. Now the **** is hitting the fan for real.

What loads of BS ! The recruitment in the Top14 has been exactly wanted like this by these elite clubs, the FFR (union) has never forced them to do anything about it.

The union have one way out of this mess. They either directly contract the internationals or the national team goes to hell.

Hahaha you are so funny ! So you will explain to everybody why the LNR (the Top14 and ProD2 clubs) has refused 6 months ago the proposal of Laporte (president of the union) to contract players (the union would pay 6 month wages for players of a list of 45 who would play in the french team) , giving loads of bullshit argument "it is impossible, it is not legal , blablabla" ??

They have not even tried to compromise. Ha yes sorry, they graciously increased the list of "protected" players (these guys have a cap on the number of matches they can play during the clubs season - but the cap is kind of ridiculous as the player can still play a match during a certain number of minutes for this match to not be taken in account in the cap number) from 30 to 45 and increase the period of rest for these players from 8 to 10 weeks during the summer ! Wow, surely we can save the french rugby with such decisive action !!!!

The union is to blame for a lot of things (especially the formation) but certainly not for the failure of the top14 to create an elite for the french rugby.

Well it was a bit of a meh, test. We were equally poor. So many missed opportunities. So many passes behind players or to no man's land. So many missed kicks.

Skosan was again the pedestrian in the backline. zero contribution from him whatsoever.

Pollard's goal kicking was terrible. Guess that's what happens when you haven't had matchday kicking opportunities in over 6 months, especially after an ankle injury. But with that said, the french flyhalf also missed 2 easy enough kicks, so maybe it was the weather and the pitch playing a part as well?

But what a difference did Pollard and Venter make to our backline? We didn't look as impotent as we have been all year. We got good ball to work with and on several occasions broke the line only to have it squandered on the wing or a poor pass.

Anyways. Glad we got a win at least, even if it was just 1 point. Still not good enough, and I think Allister Coetzee should now count the days of still being coach, coz they're becoming less by the day.

Pollard's goal kicking was terrible. Guess that's what happens when you haven't had matchday kicking opportunities in over 6 months, especially after an ankle injury.
yes it was but he's a very good player. I remember when I first saw him play I was impressed. He attacks the line very well. Jantjes is good but ball in hand tends to drift sideways too much. He doesn't attack the line as well as Pollard can.

When Pollard finds his bearings at test level again (having been out so long) I think he will be the flyhalf SA needs IMO.

Interesting to see that in spite of his lack of luck with his kicks nobody else took over the kicking duties. That was a statement of trust from the staff but also a silent acknowlegment of the **** poor opposition the Boks were facing...

Latest posts