• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NSW Waratahs vs. British and Irish Lions (15/6/13)

Yep, backline and loose forwards are pretty strong, at least for the Waratahs. The tight five looks a bit dodgy, and only a couple of the reserves have played much Super Rugby.

Not as strong a line up as the Reds, but still better much better than the Force. The Waratahs will look to play a far more defensive game than the Reds.

Gatland quoted as saying quite prepared to drop Warbs if not playing well......his team to be picked on form!

Yeah, most of those players are actually pretty established Waratahs players, if not starters.
Should be a decent team, if not test quality.

I think Tahs fans could regret letting Timani Jr go in a year or two, he looks like he could be pretty sick in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Decent team,for whatever reason I'm a fan of Ryan, hope Mitchell has a good game for his sake as well. Also good to get a longer look at Skelton, they don't come much bigger accept maybe "Tallest man in rugby Devin Toner".

Most gametime so far in minutes from the lions: its surely telling when you notice that 4 of those guys are our 4 wingers, with 3 right at the top. Perhaps tells us that another winger would have been good.

240 - Stuart Hogg, Alex Cuthbert
193 - George North
185 - Jonathan Davies
184 - Richie Gray
177 - Toby Faletau
166 - Justin Tipuric
164 - Sean Maitland
162 - Mako Vunipola
160 - Brian O'Driscoll, Dan Lydiate, Sean O'Brien

I think Kearney going on tour injured has caused some problems as he could have covered across the back 3. Bowe's injury compounded the problem so the other wingers have had to play a lot of minutes.

Just hope North is fit in time for the 1st test as he's been awesome so far.

There's conflicting information about North. There are reports that he's certainly out of the first test with a grade 1 hamstring tear, but other say that he should be resuming training on Monday. There's been no official report, so we'll have to wait and see.

Nothing coming out of the camp as of yet, is it the start of selection mind games?

Most gametime so far in minutes from the lions: its surely telling when you notice that 4 of those guys are our 4 wingers, with 3 right at the top. Perhaps tells us that another winger would have been good.

240 - Stuart Hogg, Alex Cuthbert
193 - George North
185 - Jonathan Davies
184 - Richie Gray
177 - Toby Faletau
166 - Justin Tipuric
164 - Sean Maitland
162 - Mako Vunipola
160 - Brian O'Driscoll, Dan Lydiate, Sean O'Brien

Really puts Heaslip's stats compared to Faletau into context, with Heaslip not on the list for gametime.

Really puts Heaslip's stats compared to Faletau into context, with Heaslip not on the list for gametime.
Regardless of time they are very different and well selection I presume will be decided by a) what is wanted from the 8 and b) possibly the selection of he flankers will influence this call

Is it really any surprise that a winger or three ha smost game time.....they are certainly not in the game as much as the forwards so surely they should be able to manage at least one full game a week or two partials?

There's also the thing of wingers barely ever being subbed out except for injury. Expect the list to look a bit different after the Waratahs game when none of Hogg, Cuthbert or North will be playing.

I hope so Wally. I am a secret Tahs fan and I want the Lions to have a game because thats what the tour is all about, a challenge.

As for the lets make sure the lions are undercooked thing, its is a bit of a double edged sword. We won't be at international match intensity per se, but there would be less injuries and the patterns would be tested. No international team goes into a big tournament undercooked because all they have had is training and training games?

Ned Flanders started spouting ********. Why is somebody who coached a team in the amateur era even relevant?

Latest posts