• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NZ Squads So Far...

I would suggest the Highlanders sign him, but you would accuse us of being poaching ******** again ;)

I agree though - I still think Waldrom is good enough for Super Rugby. It wouldn't surprise me if the Crusaders make him an offer, as McCaw is out for most of the season, and they need someone to backup Todd.

Actually I hope the Highlanders do take him. I think he'd actually be their best openside.

Yeah a Highlanders lineup of:
1 Woodcock
2 Hore
3 King
4 Thorn
5 Bekhuis
6 Thomson
7 Waldrom
8 Manu
9 Smith
10 Slade
11 Gear
12 Sopoaga
13 Ellison
14 Poki
15 Smith

would be immense.

Highlanders have signed Coltman, by the way. They have Brayden Mitchell too, don't they? It might have been polite to share the talent around.

Nice, is it possible you guys can add player rating aswell :p i need to update my Jonah Lomu Rugby Challenge S15 teams :p would be awesome to get all the info in one place... i'm sure there are more guys that would appreciate it :p if not i'll make all the NZ players stats 100 :p and SA ratings 5...

Waldrom over Hardie?
I haven't seen much of Waldrom but Hardie impressed me at the start of the S15. Good to have backup, but who would be first choice?

Chiefs

Prop (3)
- B Afeaki
- T Smith
- B Tameifuna

Hooker (2)
- M Schwalger
- H Elliot

Lock (4)
- Clarke
- Retalick
- Fitzgerald
- Graham

Loose Forward (5)
- L Messam
- S Cane
- T Latimer
- F Lee
- N Crosswell

Halfback (3)
- T Kerr-Barlow
- B Leonard
- A Pulu

First Five (2)
- A Cruden
- G Anscombe

Centre (4)
- R Kahui
- B Aki
- A Horrell
- C Ngatai

Outside Backs
- R Robinson
- L Masaga
- T Nanai-Williams
- A Tikoirotuma

Other Possible Players
- M Muliaina
- Q MacDonald
- J Willison

Possible 22:
1 Smith
2 Schwalger
3 Afeaki
4 Clarke (c)
5 Retalick
6 Messam
7 Latimer
8 Lee
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Nanai-Williams
12 Horrell
13 Kahui
14 Masaga
15 Robinson
16 Elliot
17 Tameifuna
18 Fitzgerald
19 Cane
20 Leonard
21 Anscombe
22 Tikoirotuma

The Chiefs only major loss is SBW in the midfield. We still have three very able props and two great hookers (plus maybe one more), so Taumalolo isn't a major loss. The backup locks may not be secure in their positions just yet. I see Horrell as mainly a centre now, with Anscombe covering first five. Cane will probably continue to ride the pine this season as an impact sub.

Where did Kane Thompson go?

Yeah a Highlanders lineup of:
1 Woodcock
2 Hore
3 King
4 Thorn
5 Bekhuis
6 Thomson
7 Waldrom
8 Manu
9 Smith
10 Slade
11 Gear
12 Sopoaga
13 Ellison
14 Poki
15 Smith

would be immense.

i wouldn't be surprised to see Emery over sopoaga. the biggest thing for me would be the bench with that team, names like Sopanga, Tanaka (fingers crossed), hoeata, buxton and coltman or mackintosh

Is Coltman a hooker or prop? ;)

both, but with anderson heather and Horie both playing well he has played quite a bit at prob for us and looked good, i m so looking forward to having a good front row next year and not a bunch of marshmellows...coughmackintoshcough

Waldrom over Hardie?
I haven't seen much of Waldrom but Hardie impressed me at the start of the S15. Good to have backup, but who would be first choice?

I would go with Hardie. younger and a local boy, if he can keep going like he started last year he could go higher

Highlanders have signed Coltman, by the way. They have Brayden Mitchell too, don't they? It might have been polite to share the talent around.

I'm just happy we are signing some local talent for a change! I'd assume Mitchell and Coltman will share time backing up Hore this season.

Is Coltman a hooker or prop? ;)

He is a hooker who is an exceptional powerful scrummager, but can't throw the ball into the lineout straight - what does that make him? (the correct answer is Aled de Malmanche ;) ).

I wasn't sure about him playing TH prop for Otago this season but he has looked very comfortable, however the next level up will be much more difficult. I assume the Highlanders have signed him primarily as a hooker. However the fact he can cover TH could be handy - I understand there will still be 7-man benched in Super Rugby next season so they could potential have Coltman (covering 2 & 3) and MackIntosh (covering 1) on the bench (though personally I would be happy to have MackIntosh sitting in the stands....). I do hope that Coltman continues to focus on playing hooker, as he is one of the most promising hookers in the country, and we really need some young hookers to get up to AB standard (meanwhile we seem to have plenty of young TH props coming through).

Waldrom over Hardie?

It would depend on how Hardie plays. As you say Hardie really impressed at the start of the Super Rugby season, however this kind-of came out of the blue. He obviously had talent, however he had yet to deliver at Super Rugby level before that (I would have rated him as the 7th or 8th best openside in the country before the start of the Super Rugby season). I would be stoked if he could replicate his 2012 early season Super Rugby form (and I don't see why he couldn't), but I'm not yet sure whether this was just an anomaly.

Scott Waldrom is a different sort of 7 than Hardie - probably less physical in the contact, though strong at the breakdown, but the best feature of his play is his speed (and hence his support play). Despite his advancing age (32) he would probably be quicker than any 7 in the country (apart from probably Ardie Savea), and really suits teams with expansive game-plans. Unfourtuantely he has really struggled with injuries throughout his career (I think he is injured at the moment as well) - if he hadn't been injured so much I think he would have a couple of AB's caps to his name. As I said I would be delighted if we got him down here at the Highlanders, though I suspect he Crusaders are a more likely destination for him.

Where did Kane Thompson go?

He signed to play in Japan (Canon Eagles... which is a pretty cool name for a team!)

Last edited:
Ardie Savea signd with the canes.

He's got some serious talent, I can't help but think with Nonu knocking on 30 and the skillset Ardie has considering he is so versitile I hope he is guided to or considers 12 as a position. Behind Nonu there is no clear selection for 12 in NZ. Right now it's Ellison who is a utility player then outside the AB's maybe Bateman is next. With Kahui as a serious option when he's back. I think Savea would instantly become one of NZ's best 2nd fives behind Nonu by just putting a 12 jersey on and with some experience and devalopment I recon he could play tests in that position.

If nonu leaves NZ I think he should definately be playing 12 for the canes.

Ardie Savea signd with the canes.

He's got some serious talent, I can't help but think with Nonu knocking on 30 and the skillset Ardie has considering he is so versitile I hope he is guided to or considers 12 as a position. Behind Nonu there is no clear selection for 12 in NZ. Right now it's Ellison who is a utility player then outside the AB's maybe Bateman is next. With Kahui as a serious option when he's back. I think Savea would instantly become one of NZ's best 2nd fives behind Nonu by just putting a 12 jersey on and with some experience and devalopment I recon he could play tests in that position.

If nonu leaves NZ I think he should definately be playing 12 for the canes.

Savea playing in midfield is certainly an interesting option, as he probably has as much experience there as he has at 7. From a AB's perspective I agree it would be ideal if he focused on becoming a midfield back, but it really depends on whether Savea himself sees himself as a forward or a back. At the moment it looks like he is focusing on being a 7 - he is apparently bulking up so he is able to compete physically with the big boys. If he wants to be a back he probably doesn't want to be putting on too much weight, and would be much better focusing on the core skills of a midfield back.

If Nonu does leave I see Kahui as probably the best option for the 12 jersey, though he would need to get some game-time there for the Chiefs. Ellison is certainly a good option, while Crotty would be pretty reliable too. I'm hoping to see Francis Saili have a big season for the Blues next year, as he looks to have all the tools to be a top class midfield back.

Highlanders

Hooker (3): Hore, Mitchell, Coltman
Prop (3): Fia, King, Woodcock
Lock (3): Bekhuis, Hoeata, Wheeler
Loose Forward (4): Boys, Hardie, Manu, Tietjens
Halfback (1): Smith
First Five (2): Sopoaga, Slade
Centre (4): Nonu, Emery, Ellison, Treeby
Outside Back (2): Gear, Poki, Smith

Possible Other Players:
- J Mackintosh
- B Thorn
- A Thomson
- P Grant
- F Tanaka
- H Parker
- T Ensor
- B Popali'i

Possible Top 22:
1 Woodcock
2 Hore
3 Fia
4 Thorn
5 Bekhuis
6 Thomson
7 Hardie
8 Manu
9 Smith
10 Slade
11 Gear
12 Nonu
13 Ellison
14 Poki
15 Smith
16 Coltman
17 King
18 Wheeler
19 Hoeata
20 Tanaka
21 Sopoaga
22 Popoali'i

Crusaders

Hooker (2): Flynn, Funnell
Prop (3): Barrett, Crockett, Franks
Lock (3): Whitelock, Bird, Romano
Loose Forward (5): McCaw, Todd, Whitelock, Whitelock, Read
Halfback (2): Ellis, Heinz
First Five (3): Carter, Bleyendaal, Taylor
Centre (3): Fruean, Crotty, Whitelock
Outside Back (5): McNicholl, Guildford, Marshall, Dagg, Osbourne

Possible Other Players:
- Q MacDonald
- T Donnelly
- J Taufua
- J Tupou
- S Maitland

Possible Top 22:
1 Crockett
2 Flynn
3 Franks
4 Romano
5 Whitelock
6 Whitelock
7 McCaw
8 Read
9 Ellis
10 Carter
11 Guildford
12 Crotty
13 Fruean
14 McNicholl
15 Dagg
16 Funnell
17 Barrett
18 Bird
19 Todd
20 Heinz
21 Taylor
22 Whitelock

Both squads are very strong, with the Highlanders having arguably the best squad on paper in the competition. Their only real weakness may be a lack of quality depth in the front row and in the loose forwards. They have a couple of good first fives, some quality centres and a great back three. The Crusaders don't look to have changed much from last season, with a few strong Canterbury players looking to make the step up to Super level.

Jordan Taufua is definitely with the Crusaders. His FB says so (yes, I'm a stalker).

Last edited:
Top 22 for each squad:

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Blues[/TD]
[TD]Chiefs[/TD]
[TD]Hurricanes[/TD]
[TD]Crusaders[/TD]
[TD]Highlanders[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Mackintosh[/TD]
[TD]Smith[/TD]
[TD]Franks[/TD]
[TD]Crockett[/TD]
[TD]Woodcock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Mealamu (c)[/TD]
[TD]Schwalger[/TD]
[TD]Coles[/TD]
[TD]Flynn[/TD]
[TD]Hore[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Faumuina[/TD]
[TD]Afeaki[/TD]
[TD]May[/TD]
[TD]Franks[/TD]
[TD]Fia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Boric[/TD]
[TD]Clarke (c)[/TD]
[TD]Eaton[/TD]
[TD]Romano[/TD]
[TD]Thorn[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Williams[/TD]
[TD]Retalick[/TD]
[TD]Thrush[/TD]
[TD]Whitelock[/TD]
[TD]Bekhuis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Luatua[/TD]
[TD]Messam[/TD]
[TD]Lam[/TD]
[TD]Whitelock[/TD]
[TD]Thomson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Braid[/TD]
[TD]Latimer[/TD]
[TD]Lowe[/TD]
[TD]McCaw (c)[/TD]
[TD]Hardie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Braid[/TD]
[TD]Lee[/TD]
[TD]Vito[/TD]
[TD]Read[/TD]
[TD]Manu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Weepu[/TD]
[TD]Kerr-Barlow[/TD]
[TD]Perenara[/TD]
[TD]Ellis[/TD]
[TD]Smith[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Kerr[/TD]
[TD]Cruden[/TD]
[TD]Barrett[/TD]
[TD]Carter[/TD]
[TD]Slade[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Naholo[/TD]
[TD]Nanai-Williams[/TD]
[TD]Savea[/TD]
[TD]Guildford[/TD]
[TD]Gear[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Saili[/TD]
[TD]Horrell[/TD]
[TD]Bateman[/TD]
[TD]Crotty[/TD]
[TD]Nonu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Ranger[/TD]
[TD]Kahui[/TD]
[TD]Smith (c)[/TD]
[TD]Fruean[/TD]
[TD]Ellison (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Raikuna[/TD]
[TD]Masaga[/TD]
[TD]Jane[/TD]
[TD]McNicholl[/TD]
[TD]Poki[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Piutau[/TD]
[TD]Robinson[/TD]
[TD]Taylor[/TD]
[TD]Dagg[/TD]
[TD]Smith[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]McCartney[/TD]
[TD]Elliot[/TD]
[TD]Matu'u[/TD]
[TD]Funnell[/TD]
[TD]Coltman[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Tu'ungafasi[/TD]
[TD]Tameifuna[/TD]
[TD]Toomaga-Allen[/TD]
[TD]Barrett[/TD]
[TD]King[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Moli[/TD]
[TD]Fitzgerald[/TD]
[TD]Broadhurst[/TD]
[TD]Bird[/TD]
[TD]Wheeler[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]O'Connor[/TD]
[TD]Cane[/TD]
[TD]Shields[/TD]
[TD]Todd[/TD]
[TD]Hoeata[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Hall[/TD]
[TD]Leonard[/TD]
[TD]Smylie[/TD]
[TD]Heinz[/TD]
[TD]Tanaka[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Noakes[/TD]
[TD]Anscombe[/TD]
[TD]Marshall[/TD]
[TD]Taylor[/TD]
[TD]Sopoaga[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]McKenzie[/TD]
[TD]Tikoirotuma[/TD]
[TD]Leiua[/TD]
[TD]Maitland[/TD]
[TD]Popoali'i[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Wow with these line-ups it looks as if the Blues' blues will continue. I assumed that with their position in Auckland they'd certainly sort themsleves out in the off season. The other 4 though I couldn't seperate. The Hurricanes have a bit of a handicap in the forwards against the other three but almost make up for it with their dangerous backs. Very difficult to call.

In SA we know its between the Sharks and Stormers with the Bulls a bit of a dark horse. Cheetahs will again be top of the also-rans like last year and I expect the Kings to finish dead last.

That is what everyone said about the Hurricanes, too.
I don't expect them to do well, especially with how strong all the other NZ franchises are looking, but I don't think they will be as bad as other people expect. I think they will be an exciting team to follow, actually. We already know that Charles Piutau, Francis Saili and Steven Luatua have talent and can perform at this level. Next year we'll find out more about them, and see if they can do this consistently. Then the likes of Bryn Hall, Kane Barrett, Marty McKenzie, Baden Kerr etc. will also be getting game time. Not all of them will be brilliant but at least one of them is bound to be.

Would it be bad of me to say that the Blues team looks very brown?

Looking at these squads and knowing what the SA line-up are also likely to look like I'd be very willing to put money on a prediction that the finalists next year will be;

Chiefs
Highlanders
Crusaders
Stormers
Sharks
Reds

with these missing out relatively narrowly;
Bulls
Brumbies
Hurricanes

and the rest making up the numbers TBH.

Any takers?