O'Gara will retire from international rugby after WC

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Simple as only heard it on Setanta computers so slow it would take forever to post a link if someone else could for those doubters that would be great.

No surprise here, really

I saw the interview and while he didn't explicitly say he was retiring he said something like "I'm done with Ireland in a few weeks" so he needs to play his heart out - he could be going on about the RWC, however it'll mean from international duty in general

Had a good run etc. and it's good to have him move aside to allow younger players to come through

The fact he seems now to be second choice has forced his hand, if he was still numero one I think he may carry on.

This is a good thing in the long run, after this WC Ireland should start to rebuild and get rid of players who won't make the next WC, I'm not saying to go mental and cut loose ROG, BOD, POC etc all at once, but they should be gradually phased out within the next two years. That is unless you have a freak like Thorn, Shaw, etc which I expect O'Connell may be.

Pity... really hoped he would have some years left in him to play against SA and tackle Fourie Du Preez in the air again...

This is a good thing in the long run, after this WC Ireland should start to rebuild and get rid of players who won't make the next WC, I'm not saying to go mental and cut loose ROG, BOD, POC etc all at once, but they should be gradually phased out within the next two years. That is unless you have a freak like Thorn, Shaw, etc which I expect O'Connell may be.
I think having guys like BOD and POC in the framework of the Irish set up is a wonderful thing even if they have passed their peak...BOD was for a long time without question the best centre in the world while an old dog like O'Connell will work wonders with the young up and coming players.

From what I heat the Irish management are really trying to change his mind and keep him playing international rugby. I really don't see the point in this. O'Gara now has the chance to leave the team with his head held high. Look what happened to Hayes, he tried to keep going and became half the prop he was. Let ROG go now and bring in some new blood. Look how well Keatley is coming on his chance must be coming soon but it will only come when O'Gara has left the international scene.

Lads there are a few points to realize in this:

- ROG will be 35 in March and owes Ireland nothing
- He has really missed being away from Jessica and his 3 young kids for the bones of 10 weeks nearly
- And well he can't go on forever
- However Ireland do need him in that 20 min cameo role badly for next 6 Nations but only use him when needed
- Another issue is he is centrally contracted until end of 2012-2013 season so don't know exactly how that will work out

Lads there are a few points to realize in this:- ROG will be 35 in March and owes Ireland nothing- He has really missed being away from Jessica and his 3 young kids for the bones of 10 weeks nearly - And well he can't go on forever- However Ireland do need him in that 20 min cameo role badly for next 6 Nations but only use him when needed- Another issue is he is centrally contracted until end of 2012-2013 season so don't know exactly how that will work out
I agree with your first three points there but not the fourth. I think with ROG gone Sexton will feel comfortable as he knows he'll get 80 minutes and will improve and play for Ireland like he does for Leinster, it'll be a monkey off his back.

I agree with your first three points there but not the fourth. I think with ROG gone Sexton will feel comfortable as he knows he'll get 80 minutes and will improve and play for Ireland like he does for Leinster, it'll be a monkey off his back.
That may be true but what if Sexton is still shaky even when ROG is gone?????
I hope he won't be and well this world cup, whole not going excellent for him, will benefit him and pump up his experience.

With O'Gara gone and Sexton now looking like our 1st choice fly half it will give another player a chance, such as maybe Keatley. Gotta keep the rotation belt goin with Sexton being 30 by the next world cup.

O'Gara should play for Ireland as long as Ireland need him, and seeing as their is no obvious replacement to be reserve fly half he should keep playing until there is a replacement to be reserve fly half

I sorta agree with this - but there's not going to be an obvious replacement if he keeps playing.

iHumph and Keatley MIGHT be answers. But iHumph needs trialling at international level and Keatley likewise - plus he could do with shouldering the burden in HC matches for Munster. Which with ROG in the way, is difficult.

Myself though, I think he should keep himself in the picture. He definitley brings something to the party as 2nd choice fly-half.

Latest posts