• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Olympic Games Update

Gutted for Brownlee to miss out on the medals in the triathlon,
But a silver (very nearly a gold) for Yee is nothing to be sniffed at, especially at only 23

But a silver (very nearly a gold) for Yee is nothing to be sniffed at, especially at only 23
Brownlee was struggling throughout the run to hang on his 4th was pretty good going. The winner was immense he bolted long before the finish on the last lap looked like he'd completely lost his form shortly after that and just pushed through to the entire finish.

Yep, Yee has only got a handful of top class tris to his name and will only get better. His running style is so easy that I thought he had more in the tank, but the Norwegian looked like he was literally prepared to die for the Gold.

Jonny Brownlee has always lived in his brother's shadow a bit. Top class performer though and seemed reasonably happy that he'd given it all he could, but that era is now over.

Rugby 7s campaign has got off to a pretty good start though Fiji in the last group game might prove a tad more difficult.

Vodafone can get 6 months free trail
Sky Q can get 12 months free trail
Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to use my trial for a while. I'm well impressed with it so far. Even if BBC had streams of everything, I'd be tempted to spend the £6.99 for the better interface, highlights and catch up content.

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to use my trial for a while. I'm well impressed with it so far. Even if BBC had streams of everything, I'd be tempted to spend the £6.99 for the better interface, highlights and catch up content.
What's the commentary like? Its one of those things there are some voices I need to hear during commentary as grew up listening to them.

I haven't minded the BBC coverage since Saturday I haven't got time to shift through the schedule and in 2012 its all we could do as I was living on a rugby field for the duration so we had whatever was on in the bar there. Day 1 was probably frustrating as the BBC decided team sport or team sport as nothing else was really on.

What's the commentary like? Its one of those things there are some voices I need to hear during commentary as grew up listening to them.

I haven't minded the BBC coverage since Saturday I haven't got time to shift through the schedule and in 2012 its all we could do as I was living on a rugby field for the duration so we had whatever was on in the bar there. Day 1 was probably frustrating as the BBC decided team sport or team sport as nothing else was really on.
I'm yet to watch any of the studio content, I've just been channel hopping around enjoying the novelty of watching things that take my fancy live. The commentary on this hasn't been bad as such, but maybe a bit underwhelming. I often moan about the amount of hype and lack of substance in coverage these days (e.g. Sky's Lions coverage on Saturday), I'm now afraid that I've been conditioned to expect if and find anything else boring!

For the sake of £6.99 for the month, I'd say give it a shot (the half price £29.99 a year price is a bargain too). Being able to watch 3 hours of rugby rather than having the BBC coverage flitting in and out this morning lifted my spirits during the day of a self isolation period.

Pidcock is just a sublime all round talent. Fantastic performance.
Watched that full race, quite gripping actually. By the end, or actually long before, i was torn between liking pidcock because he was impressive and hating him because the british sky commentary we had went in and on about him constantly, saying the same stuff over and over about how amazing he is, how young he is, and hiw he can do whatever biking discipline he wants, and the cameras focusing on him too. They did give some mention to anton cooper, the nzer, either because he was in the hunt for a medal for the entire race, or because it was part of the broadcast deal. To be honest even the talk about cooper got tedious.

what a ludicrous sport though, thats unbelievably tough and torturous stuff going up those hills then having to go down over rocks when you ate fatigued. Pidcock really got in his groove after the first lap, from then on it just looked so easy for him. Pleased cooper did well but disappointed he didnt medal and do wonder if that bronze group couldnt have done better to prevent the czech (feel sorry for him) and the Spaniard from joining them. Why go so slow on the flat section at the start? There must be a reason but i would have thought thats the mist efficient time to use your energy, or at least some of it, i stead that group looked like they were resting (ok i guess i answered my question). At least at the start of that final lap they should have pushed harder. ??? Im an amateur here but do wonder.

Georgia Taylor-Brown. Second are getting a puncture on the last lap of the bike and was apparently using crutches just 12 weeks ago.

Also Flora Duffy, first ever gold for Bermuda.

Watched that full race, quite gripping actually. By the end, or actually long before, i was torn between liking pidcock because he was impressive and hating him because the british sky commentary we had went in and on about him constantly, saying the same stuff over and over about how amazing he is, how young he is, and hiw he can do whatever biking discipline he wants, and the cameras focusing on him too. They did give some mention to anton cooper, the nzer, either because he was in the hunt for a medal for the entire race, or because it was part of the broadcast deal. To be honest even the talk about cooper got tedious.
Cycling can be a difficult sport to commentate on as there can be a lot of time to fill where nothing much is changing, especially when it's several laps of a short course "Oh the gap's the same as when they last went up that same hill 12 minutes ago…..".

As for Pidcock, like him. We've seen he can do mountain, he's a former world junior champion in both cyclocross and time trial and in his first season with Ineos he was brilliant in the one day classics. He's already shown he can mix it with the very best seniors in cyclocross.

Will start riding grand tours soon. No reason to suppose he won't do brilliantly there either - last year he won the General Classification and Mountains jersey in the baby Giro d'Italia (u23). He'll have to start out as a domestique working for others, but it won't be long before others are riding for him.

We've had some great riders over the last decade but he's the most exciting of the lot.

On the track we'll soon see my other 2 wheeled favourite, Laura Kenny. Tiny frame that produces an amazing amount of power. Absolute fighter and wears her heart on her sleeve. The cycling genes that have been passed to her son must be something else!

Well at least SA has got a silver....not sure we will have much else, 7's hopefully top 3 but not sure.

Latest posts