• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys next season

dullonien

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
So, with all the goings and a few comings at the Ospreys, what kind of team can we expect to see from the Ospreys next season? The confirmed exits are Craig Mitchell, Marty Hollah, Jerry Collins, James Hook and Lee Byrne, with Mike Phillips almost certain to follow them. Matthew Morgan is romoured to be off to the Dragons, limiting the options at 10 with Hook gone aswell. Gareth Owen and Jamie Nutbrown are also rumoured to be leaving. Ben Lewis has also retired.

The Ospreys have signed backrowers Geaorge Stowers and Joe Bearman and scrum half Kahn Fotuali'i. They are rumoured to be after Mills Muliaina at fullback.

I'd expect something like this (taking the rumours into account):

01 Paul James
02 Richard Hibbard
03 Adam Jones
04 Alun-Wyn Jones
05 Ian Evans
06 Ryan Jones
07 Justin Tipuric
08 George Stowers

09 Kahn Fotuali'i
10 Dan Biggar
11 Shane Williams
12 Ashley Beck
13 Andrew Bishop
14 Tommy Bowe
15 Mills Muliaina / Richard Fussell

16 Huw Bennett
17 Ryan Bevington / Duncan Jones
18 Cai Griffiths
19 Ian Gough
20 Joe Bearman / Jonathan Thomas
21 Rhys Webb
22 ???? Dai Flannagan / Matthew Jarvis
23 Richard Fussell / ????

It's still a solid looking team imo. George Stowers is a good signing, as he offers some real hard grafting, no nonsense ball carrying when we've been missing for a while. Jerry Collins offered it last season, but no this. Were gonna be struggling for a backup openside now that Hollah's going and Ben Lewis has retired. I don't see another out and out 7 in the Ospreys squad, so we can expect the likes of Stowers, Bearman, Jon Thomas or Ryan Jones having to move across when Tipuric is injured / rested.

Who the hell is going to be the backup 10 if the romours of Matthew Morgan leaving are true. Jarvis has looked decent from what I've seen, and would be my personal choice. I'm not a fan of Flannagan atall, never progressed from his good showings in the Premiership opposite James Hook. We're also struggling for a decent utility back that can cover centre aswell as outside half / wing / fullback. It looks as though we'll be seeing more of Bowe in the centre if there's an inury in the game.

Overall, the pack is still looking very strong (Cai Griffiths being the only true tightead replacement isn't as good as having Mitchell, but Griffiths has improved). The backrow looks nicely balanced and can hopefully develop into a quality unit. Without Hook, the midfield is looking a little short on creativity, so will be dependant on the wings and fullback coming in to help create. Sane and Bowe are good at doing just that, whilst if Muliaina is signed, he's one of the best attacking fullbacks, if not, then Fussell has been showing some very good signs at fullback. Unfortunatly it looks like were gonna be stuck with Biggar at 10!

What do people think? Is anyone expecting any other signings? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ospreys going after a quality 10 or centre, someone creative to offset the loss of Hook somewhat. They were prepared to offer Hook a £1,000,000 deal to stay, so I'd expect then to splash out on some kind of replacement.

What about the backroom staff? There have been romours of Johnson and Andrew Hore leaving. I wouldn't be suprised to see a bit of a shakeup if they fail to reach the Magners League play-offs, with possibly Holley going aswell.

Jarvis has left for Connacht.

I believe they will play Jones at 8 with Stowers at 6.

Best thing for the Ospreys would be to have rid of Johnson and probably Hore, neither who had set the world alight with their coaching and running of the club.

Even tho we have a load of players going after world cup, thats still not a bad team, certainly looks a tad more cohesive. Our back 3 being the "individuals" where as theres the solidity elsewhere in back-line. I'm not clued in with the super rugby, but from what i hear Kahn Fotuali'i is a very exiting player (the word "sharp" has been used :p). Would be good to see him and Webb alternate (i personally think that webb has really taken his chance with Phillips being out of form and away on wales duty.

Would certainly love to see Muliaina signing (defo bums on seats signing) but thats still up in air with Japan looking to be a contender as well for him (as well as france). Wouldn't mind a Shane, Bowe and Fussell back three. They lack a bit in height (shane and fussell) but would most definitely bring the excitement that we desperately need - not much kicking gonna be going from those is there :p

We desperately need a tight head from somewhere. Cai Griffiths aint up to scratch and i can't believe he's still in the regional set up. Bevington's looked good but i can't for the life of me remember whether he is a loose or tight head.

I certainly hope that Mathew Morgan isn't on his way out. From what i've seen, his talent is still Raw but he certainly has flair. A little on the small side, but he's got some serious skills attacking. Would love to see him have the 10 battle with Biggar - When he's given quick ball he's played well, but having Phillips most of the season he's automatically on the back foot (doesn't seem to "want" the jump to wales though for some reason).

If we don't reach the play-offs (looking very imminent) i can defo see a shake up in the back room staff as Dullonien has pointed out. Anyone else want Paul Turner??? I think he'd be a great asset to the side. His no-nonsence approach would defo rattle the "big" personalities. He wouldn't take any S!!t :D

To be honest i really like Ryan Jones and Alun Wyn at lock. Its a very dynamic combination, and its like having two extra flankers on the pitch (the fact that both have played on the flank promotes that statement). With the arrival of Stowers and Bearman, i can definitely see that continuing. But then again, its the ospreys - Ryan could end up playing hooker at some point :p

To be honest i really like Ryan Jones and Alun Wyn at lock. Its a very dynamic combination, and its like having two extra flankers on the pitch (the fact that both have played on the flank promotes that statement).

agree totally, Ian Evans hasn't had a good season, concedes far too many penalties

he has potential but he doesn't have a good rugby brain, but I still think he can improve and play an important part in the Wales and Ospreys future

also are the Ospreys going to sign a replacement for Marty Holah?

unfortunately I think not, as I think Collins has been replaced by Stowers and Bearman which suggest budget cuts, although there must be plenty of spare cash to spend on wages around the Ospreys now ...

Jarvis has left for Connacht.

I believe they will play Jones at 8 with Stowers at 6.

Best thing for the Ospreys would be to have rid of Johnson and probably Hore, neither who had set the world alight with their coaching and running of the club.

Ah yeh, forgot about Jarvis going aswell. Serious shortage of 10's then if the romoures are true regarding Matthew Morgan and Gareth Owen. Maybe we'll see Kahn Fotuali'i playing quite a bit at 10 aswell then, is the same kinda way Pienar is being used at Ulster.

I hate Johnson's attitude in interviews, he's so dismissive of other people's opinions, and always seems to be on the defensive. If he's like that as a coach aswell, then I can see why players are leaving left right and centre. I don't see what Hore's job is at the Ospreys, what does he do exactly? The only coach I'd actually keep at the moment is Humphreys, because he seems to be doing a decent job, especially with the front row, where all the props have come on leaps and bounds recently.

what about Ryan Jones at lock?

is that over now?

Yeh we could quite easily see Ryan continuing at lock with a backrow consisting of Bearman, Tipuric and Stowers (with Jon Thomas somewhere aswell knowing the O's). With the possibility of Ben Morgan and Toby Faletau pushing for the 8 spot in the Welsh team, there's be less pressure on the Ospreys to keep playing Ryna in the backrow aswell.

Whilst Ian Evans hasn't been great this season, we've gotta remember it's not been all that long since an injury ravaged couple of season for the lad. It's taking some time for him to return to form, but I still think it'll come eventually.

Last edited:
Still a good team with more players that look like they actually want to play for the Ospreys. The main Weakness in the team however seems to be the 10,12,13 axis as it seems their is little creativity and top quality experience in that area.

Its looking bad for you guys... A lot of Players leaving, Collins, Jones, Byrne, Holah. Heard a few rumors that Bowe wants out too!

Its looking bad for you guys... A lot of Players leaving, Collins, Jones, Byrne, Holah. Heard a few rumors that Bowe wants out too!

Jones? None of the Jones' are leaving. I think Bowe will certainly stay for another season, aftet that it will probably depend on how the Ospreys are doing. All the Irish teams would be prepared to flash the cash to get him back playing in Ireland. He does seem to enjoy it in Swansea though, so who knows. I know alot is made of the few rebelious and idiotic players in the Ospreys squad, but the majority are well mannered and great lads (we all know that Shane is regarded as one of the most down to earth and nicest players going for instance).

I don't think it's looking too bad for us. There's still a good core of top players, with some good quality and hard-wroking players coming in. There seems to be a few weak points in the squad that needs adressing, such as backup tighthead, and a creative midfielder, but I'd be surprised if the O's don't announce one or two more signings over the Summer.

Unfortunately the backroom staff all seem to be staying. They've created some new ***le for Andrew Hore (again, what does he do?), and promoted Johnson to Hore's old job. This does confuse things again though, who's gonna be in charge next season. Johnson stated that he was in charge this season, does that continue?

Latest posts