• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys v Ulster

N

noikz

A couple of surprise selections with the Heineken SF just over a week away, some of the first teamers not getting the rest that was expected. Good to see Nikki Walker back from injury too:

15 Johnny Vaughton
14 Nikki Walker
13 Sonny Parker
12 Andrew Bishop
11 Shane Williams
10 James Hook
9 Justin Marshall

8 Filo Tiatia (Capt)
7 Ben Lewis
6 Jonathan Thomas
5 Ian Evans
4 Ian Gough
3 Cai Griffiths
2 Huw Bennett
1 Duncan Jones

Replacements:

16 Richard Hibbard
17 Paul James
18 Alun-Wyn Jones
19 Tom Smith
20 Rhys Webb
21 Shaun Connor
22 Jonathan Spratt

I don't think there's any harm in resting the players, they got a decent run out in the semi-final last week so why risk players in what is essentially a meaningless game given both sides positions.

Henson, Phillips and Byrne not even on the bench?

I can understand not starting them, but i thought they'd play at some point.
As long as they get the job done against the sarries (i can't see them getting rusty just cause of a week off) then no complaints here.

Henson, Phillips and Byrne not even on the bench?

I can understand not starting them, but i thought they'd play at some point.
As long as they get the job done against the sarries (i can't see them getting rusty just cause of a week off) then no complaints here.
[/b]

I'd imagine the Six Nations will stand them in good stead, interestingly though who will Jones go for next week, Marshall or Phillips?

well I guess the news today makes that decision easier for Jones, lousy for Phillips though.

This is terrible from an Ulster perspective.
A yellow card, which was desrved and Ospreys throw 2 tries at them. But those tries only came about becuase of 2 awful displays of defence.
Awful defending becuase Ospreys have done nothing spectacular.
We've got confidence now and we're running riot. Forcing more and more mistakes all the time.

Cracking try by Ulster!
Great break by Tommy Bowe. A deserved 7 points.

Good to know Tommy Bowe can bring a significant threat for the Ospreys next season. I look foward to seeing him on the wing for us.

That's the onlything shane has done all 2nd half...put the ball down.

Edit: Twice now!!!

Yeah, i know! He was involved quite a bit throughout the game and he scored two tries and when interviewed he was asked, "Did you enjoy the game?" to which he replied, "No, not really. It was one of those funny games, wasn't it?"
Brilliant that he didn't enjoy a game which he scored two tries in and helped the boys take a bonus point win.

Ulster's defence, and discipline let them down quite badly in the game.
They picked up the defence for parts of the game, but in the crucial parts (when there was broken play) they just couldn't keep their structure.
Ospreys were infuriating for a lot of parts. Our finishing just isn't clinical enough right now, we're not taking all our chances and at times we're playing very laterally.
Something we've got to change especially considering we've got big games coming up against the Sarries and Leicester.

God I know what your saying RC, Ospreys might be the most irritating team to watch, probably because they often miss so many chances (they just create soo many though). It just means, as a supporter you expect them to score every time they get the ball, and I just get annoyed when they don't.

You've gotta admit, they win by some big margins playing poorly though. If or when they take every opportunity and play like they can for a full 80min, everyone else better watch out!

It's not like the O's give a crap for the Magners at the mo' anywho. If they don't improve for the "big games" then let Lord have mercy in Lyn Jones.

That was Court's second Yellow in as many games. I know he is Australian but come on Matt, pick someone else. Tommy Bowe should never have left. The Bowe Byrne Williams back 3 will be nice to watch next season though :(

I agree, i think Niki walker's a good player, but he's very one dimensional and takes too long to get into the game. I find often enough Shane's out there looking for work a good 10 mins before Walker makes an appearence.
So having Bowe replace him next year will be an interesting prospect - looking forward to the threat he possess.

I'm with you on that Dullonien. Whenever Os had the ball i was partly expecting them to make serious dents and take it close to getting a try - if not actually getting the try. But we squandered too many chances.
There's just that little something missing from the squad right now and there's a part of me that says that little something is a decent coach.
Think of what the Welsh boys are experiencing when they go from the likes of Gatland, Edwards, Howley and their tubby friend with the laptop...to Lyn and Sean who, to be quite frank, aren't even in the same league.
I just believe that we would achieve so much more if we weren't stuck with a guy who coaches at Welsh Premiership standards.

Yup, thought Lyn should have gone last season, imo he was lucky to have kept his job. It often seems the Ospreys win dispite their coach, not because of him.

I wasn't too impressed with Marshall in this game, his passing was very laboured, floating balls for Hook to deal with. He also took a few wrong options, taking contact too often on the counter attack (though he is a master at dropping back to field kicks, so he's gotta be applauded for being there in the first place). At one point he went himself when he had Shane outside him, who's the better runner I wonder? Still, he can deffinately control a game when it comes to the crunch, so should be better in the big HC games.

Latest posts