• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Other suitable name for No.2?

SixteenSixtySix

Academy Player
Country Flag
Malaysia
Club or Nation
New Zealand
The word 'hooker' is often frowned upon when describing the No.2 to non-ruggers and I think there should be another word that's synonymous to the position; much like scrum-half is half-back and inside center is second five-eighth.

What words or name is best for it?

The word 'hooker' is often frowned upon when describing the No.2 to non-ruggers and I think there should be another word that's synonymous to the position; much like scrum-half is half-back and inside center is second five-eighth.

What words or name is best for it?

Hooker! It's just people with dirty minds that might frown upon it. His main role is to HOOK the ball in the Scrums, hence the term HOOKER.

His other main role is to throw into the lineout, so maybe we could call him Pitcher, and then the Locks we could call Catchers.

Number 2? Number 8 doesn't have a name so I'd probably do the same with hooker and just call it the number 2. The longer I look at the word number the more I see it as numb-er, not num-ber. Feels like I've spelt it incorrectly :huh:

Number 2? Number 8 doesn't have a name so I'd probably do the same with hooker and just call it the number 2. The longer I look at the word number the more I see it as numb-er, not num-ber. Feels like I've spelt it incorrectly :huh:

Well in Afrikaans we have a nice term for the no. 8. We call him "Agsteman" which is translated to "Eighthman" in english, but it also describes his position at scrum time as "Agterste Man" which means "Behind Man", as in he's behind the others at the scrum.

Well in Afrikaans we have a nice term for the no. 8. We call him "Agsteman" which is translated to "Eighthman" in english, but it also describes his position at scrum time as "Agterste Man" which means "Behind Man", as in he's behind the others at the scrum.

Cool! The name sounds real hardy like some kind of Conan era name.

Hmm no. 8 can also be called anchor, don't you think?

How about Center Forward - that sounds legit.

Chubby Middle-Man also has a merry ring to it.

Chubby Middle-Man is my real name, at least as far as Coach is concerned apparently.

I have always played Hooker. This has occasionally caused some confusion outside of rugby circles. But never really been an issue.

What about just... Hook?

Bismarck would strongly disagree!

bismarck-points630x400.jpg

Rake works for the hooker.

Rake was also what came first to my mind.

Centre Forward seems descriptiveness enough as well ITO position if not duties.

I see the hooker as being at the head of the pack facing the opponent and the 1st player, and most important player when looking at restarts. If we could use Afrikaans I'd say 'Sleutel' (key) as I see the hooker as the key player in both scrum and line-out. I think Sleutel just sounds more 'rugby-ish' than 'Key'. The term also complements the existing use of calling 2nd rowers 'Slotte' (Locks). I would love to be able to refer to Bissie as 'Sleutelman'.

The other meaning of the word "hooker" dates back to the US in the mid-1800s. Back then it was defined as a "strumpet" which was first used by Shakespeare to describe loose women.

So here's my plan - keep the word hooker for rugby and start using strumpet for that other thing. ;)

The other meaning of the word "hooker" dates back to the US in the mid-1800s. Back then it was defined as a "strumpet" which was first used by Shakespeare to describe loose women.

So here's my plan - keep the word hooker for rugby and start using strumpet for that other thing. ;)

That's probably going to take an era to happen

You mean prostitute, whore, slut, lady of the night? I'm sure there are enough words to describe that other thing...