Predictions based on AI's.

Reiser99

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leicester
Yes I know it could be completely different etc...However I'm curious about people's opinions based purely on the latest international fixtures.

My final table would look like this:

Ireland (I think both England and Ireland could win in final game with Ireland edging at home. Especially if they play the way they did against NZ.)
England (Too inconsistent and I think will just fall short)
Scotland (Playing excellent rugby and developing quickly, if they keep going I reckon they will be challenging for the ***le regularly.)
Wales (Scrapping wins on poor performances, missing Gatland too much?)
France (Probably go to win the GS now, but who knows what team will turn up. If they get some consistent selections then maybe.)
Italy (Had some good wins previously, but Parisse is getting on now and overall they just don't have the quality all round.)

Anyway, what do you guys think?

The realist in me thinks it's going to be a hard year with Wales and Ireland away, so expecting 3-4 wins.

The arrogance in me thinks that England will Slam it on the way to beating New Zealand's run.

The realist in me thinks it's going to be a hard year with Wales and Ireland away, so expecting 3-4 wins.

The arrogance in me thinks that England will Slam it on the way to beating New Zealand's run.
Listen to your head, because we will break your heart xxx

Ireland (I think both England and Ireland could win in final game with Ireland edging at home. Especially if they play the way they did against NZ.)
England (Too inconsistent and I think will just fall short)

This I don't understand, how can England be inconstant but Ireland not? Surely beating the ABs but then losing 2 games to the worst South African side in history, losing to France and drawing to an atrocious Wales all in the same year is a better example of an inconsistent team?

I think one thing England have above all other teams in the 6N is adaptability. England have got themselves into horrible situations but they have shown the ability to adapt during a game and have grown in strength through most of their games, the Welsh game in the 6N last year being the exception. I've not seen any other 6N side come back from the sort of pounding England were taking at the start vs SA or Australia. Ireland showed great spirit against the ABs and played brilliantly but, as I pointed out, that is not representative of the team over the year at all.

Scotland, looking better but still not convinced they have the ability to finish it off. Last year was the year they were supposed to beat England, beat Wales and finish in the top half of the table, they came 4th. The 6N are to Scotland what the SH are to Wales, many times almost there but unless they can actually get the win, it will always be just almost.

Wales, if they go with the old guard then not much to worry about. Some of the younger players look threatening though.

France, I think the whole "which French side will turn up" is gone. They are like a team of particularly uncooperative cats, they are less than the sum of their parts and quite frankly are ****.

Italy? Their 13 is a genuinely good player but beyond that, nah... Wooden spoon again with numerous thrashings and all of us wondering why they are still here because they sure as hell aren't getting anything out of it.

I did say purely on AI's not whole year. Overall England have the depth to win. I genuinely think though it will come down to the last game in Ireland.

This I don't understand, how can England be inconstant but Ireland not? Surely beating the ABs but then losing 2 games to the worst South African side in history, losing to France and drawing to an atrocious Wales all in the same year is a better example of an inconsistent team?

I think one thing England have above all other teams in the 6N is adaptability. England have got themselves into horrible situations but they have shown the ability to adapt during a game and have grown in strength through most of their games, the Welsh game in the 6N last year being the exception. I've not seen any other 6N side come back from the sort of pounding England were taking at the start vs SA or Australia. Ireland showed great spirit against the ABs and played brilliantly but, as I pointed out, that is not representative of the team over the year at all.

Scotland, looking better but still not convinced they have the ability to finish it off. Last year was the year they were supposed to beat England, beat Wales and finish in the top half of the table, they came 4th. The 6N are to Scotland what the SH are to Wales, many times almost there but unless they can actually get the win, it will always be just almost.

Wales, if they go with the old guard then not much to worry about. Some of the younger players look threatening though.

France, I think the whole "which French side will turn up" is gone. They are like a team of particularly uncooperative cats, they are less than the sum of their parts and quite frankly are ****.

Italy? Their 13 is a genuinely good player but beyond that, nah... Wooden spoon again with numerous thrashings and all of us wondering why they are still here because they sure as hell aren't getting anything out of it.

The sides that played in the 6n, SI and EOYT were in no way consistent though, even the three sides that played SA were very different and we had something like 18 new caps throughout the year. The AI's are far more of an indication of where we're at, our Australia game was the best example of adaptability in international rugby I've seen!

Tigs, he's going to bum you... After he beats your rugby team!

He'll be unloading from his ring on to England's rose bro!

U Wot M8?

Joesph Heaslip his Best Furlong And Cronin Henshaw's Ringrose till he Trimbles with Payne and will need 6 months to fully Healy.

(Hope we are all adult enough to take this in jest, much like the comments about Ireland getting the grand slam).

Last edited:

You're portraying this in the wrong manner. We didn't beat NZ then lose to SA, France, etc. It was of course the other way around. Ireland last 6N were more unsettled and less defined. Arguably we were still finding our feet in the summer and very much should have gotten at least 2 in SA but that's just how it went. Those tours in SA definitely paved the way for a more thorough looking squad that beat NZ, one that helped the likes of Stander, Olding, Jackson, etc, build up some quality game. So I wouldn't say the past year is a totally accurate prediction of how Ireland will perform. Like politics, a year is a long time in rugby. England being a perfect example of this. Look at England from October 2015 to December 2016 - a completely different team. Would it be fair to use England's dismal performance at their WC as an indication of this year's 6N? I wouldn't say so.

The AI's as Alpha Bro says are definitely a clearer indication of where the squad is, and judging from our performance at the AIs I would say we have a very good chance of winning. Despite the injuries I would still put my money on England. Also kind of fretting about away to Wales. I know Wales have been in poor form recently but nothing is ever set in stone. Wales away is never easy and I fear there is an upset or two due. Everyone is saying it's England and Ireland's 6N this year but we'll see.

My ideal outcome is for England and Ireland to win every match until the final game for a GS decider, like many English/Irish fans presumably. I really want Scotland to finally come 3rd, so them beating Wales, France and Italy would also be a treat, and also not at all impossible.

But yeah, based on the AIs, it has to be England or Ireland... It's just way too close to call unfortunately! I think our game against Oz was a fantastic sign of things to come. I had resigned myself to the typical gallant Irish defeat against a big nation, but it was not to be. Being able to re-organize under pressure and not buckle in is a quality attribute, one that was sorely missed last 6N. Can't wait for it anyways, the excitement for this year's 6N compared to last years is incomparable! (yes I know I just compared both of them)

hard one to predict this year but i think scotland will upset the usual apple cart in some way. im not saying they will win but based on the AI's i think they will push Wales Irealand and England all the way

I really struggle to see England beating Ireland given our injury situation, but we'll see. I think Ireland would have to sustain a couple of key injuries for that balance to tip.
Elsewhere, Wales I predict will have a decent tournament - never does seem possible to predict Wales' fortunes in the Six Nations going only by Autumn Internationals and Tour Games. Thing is though I don't think there's any middle ground with the fixture list Wales have, and it's proven to be that way in the past. All their games will be tough, as they're playing Italy on the first and worst weekend. I think if they were to get an early result against England they could grind through and get 4 victories. Danger for them is defeat to England could be a knock out blow with a succession of tough games after that (though they've always responded brilliantly to early defeats in recent times). Although I'd love for Scotland to peak their heads above 3rd this time I think they won't be as strong as some are predicting. I'm also desperately hoping Noves can do good things for France (my home country now!) but I still think the relationship between the clubs and national picture is too far off for success.

Absolutely fascinating tournament and excepting an Ireland win, I find it hard to predict.

France: I thought France were very good against Australia and NZ in the Autumn. They just lacked a bit of confidence but if it clicks for them they could win the tournament. They need to beat England at Twickenham.

Ireland: I'm hopeful we can do well. Last season was a write off with injuries and the all too predictable WC hangover. The provinces form and the AI's suggest we'll be a bit better this year. 3 6N's in 4 years would be a great achievement.

England: Don't know how someone above called them inconsistent. Whats inconsistent about winning games? Rightful favs imo but i can't see anyone winning every game. Team most likely to win on point difference or pick up the most bonus points.

Scotland: Back row isn't good enough and Laidlaw is a 9 from hell when you have a talented 10 and good outside backs. They'll give everyone a game but i can't see them getting over the line against Ireland or England.

Wales: They really need to introduce new players into the group. They didn't play with any enthusiasm in the AI's. The Scarlets and the Ospreys are playing good stuff atm and if form lads are picked they could trouble everyone. I've zero confidence in the management doing that though so one good performance with 4 very average ones wouldn't surprise me.

1. Ireland (good form and home advantage in the final game should be decisive)
2. England (more affected by injuries this year and could miss Robshaw. Hartley likely to be lacking match sharpness).

3. Wales (wouldn't be surprised if they scraped wins against us and France but not expecting them to trouble the top two
4. Scotland (Winning in Paris is a tall order but doable. Would be disappointed if a Gatlandless Wales won in Edinburgh)
5. France (Who knows which France will turn up)

6. Italy

I really struggle to see England beating Ireland given our injury situation, but we'll see. I think Ireland would have to sustain a couple of key injuries for that balance to tip.

Fortunately, playing each other in the last game means there's a good chance we'll even things out and they'll get the injuries.

That said, I was musing on this the other day, and I think Ireland only have one truly indispensable player by now and that's Murray. Everyone else can be replaced and although I know you're talking about there being a few of them, I think they could truck through quite a few key injuries and still have a shot as long as none of them's Murray.

Fortunately, playing each other in the last game means there's a good chance we'll even things out and they'll get the injuries.

That said, I was musing on this the other day, and I think Ireland only have one truly indispensable player by now and that's Murray. Everyone else can be replaced and although I know you're talking about there being a few of them, I think they could truck through quite a few key injuries and still have a shot as long as none of them's Murray.

I'd add Henshaw to that at the moment. McCloskey is there but we don't know what he can do against the world's best sides yet. With Henshaw and Murray we're a match for anyone right now.

Apart from Italy, all going into with good form.
England scoring tries a plenty.
Wales gritting out wins.
Scotland vast improvement and for a while certainly in with a chance.
France if they can overcome away day blue's certainly a decent pack and flair in backs.
Ireland playing well but does coach have nerve to pick the in form back 3 and not the old generation.
3 home games and a good kicker will win it for someone.
No grand slams and points to decide a close 6 nations.

Latest posts