Prem 2015/16 - Players to watch

Geordie

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Newcastle RU
Well not long till the season starts....

Which player or players are you really looking forward to seeing for your club or maybe another club...

Either a young academy lad coming through with real potential
A Senior returning from long term injury
A foreign star coming in

For us Matt Symons or Rob McClucker as senior newbies
Young Guns: Theo Brophy Clew/ Tom Fowlie/ Alex Lewington/ Conor Gilsenan
Foreigners: Maitland: Brendan Mckibben

What about yours Falcons

For Tigers
Betham - guy has been brilliant for us over the preseason so far he given us speed in the backline we have lacked and finally gives us a proper wide counter attack threat.

O'Connor - Has looked brilliant for Hawkes bay and the blues, good in the breakdown and has a attacking game on top.

Balmain - will be nailed on Tigers number 2 Tighthead and will be used as Cole was with Castro really impressed with his progress.

Notable mentions
Harrison
Pearce
Mike Williams

For me I'm pretty excited to watch niko matawalu line up when the entire Bath backline is back from the world cup. No idea if it'll be a disaster or not but suspect it'll be pretty electric.

Can't wait to see the impact Robson and Simpson can share for Wasps

Nathan Earle, if he can stay injury free, same with Will Fraser. Really excited about Vunisa, seems to be a perfect replacement when Billy is unavailable as we always struggle without his carrying.

Nathan Earle, if he can stay injury free, same with Will Fraser. Really excited about Vunisa, seems to be a perfect replacement when Billy is unavailable as we always struggle without his carrying.

Been waiting for Fraser to show his quality for a while now. So frustrating with so many injuries. Will he always be so injury prone? Or is there anything he can do to reduce the injuries?

For me I'm pretty excited to watch niko matawalu line up when the entire Bath backline is back from the world cup. No idea if it'll be a disaster or not but suspect it'll be pretty electric.

Yeah Matawalu is going to be fun to watch whatever.

I'd add Devoto, potentially if he overtakes Eastmond (or Eastmond strops off back to league) and assuming Burgess stays at 6 this could be a breakthrough season. He has the skills to be a top class inside centre of given the time to develop there.

Not a Sarries fan in the slightest but I look forward to Itoje this season, I think he will make a big impact.

Been waiting for Fraser to show his quality for a while now. So frustrating with so many injuries. Will he always be so injury prone? Or is there anything he can do to reduce the injuries?

Iirc, he shoud've been back this season however he decided to have surgery in order to help prevent any more back injuries, and I think they're hoping he'll be ok now.

Well, Ross Moriarty put in some impressive displays for Wales. It looks like he's improved massively on last season. Him and Kvesic are going to have a wonderful partnership this season.

In terms of new players, Tom Marshall is the obvious one. Was on the verge of an All Black call-up, but wants to play for England. Can play anywhere 11-15.

Youth, I know nothing about Protheroe. But a senior contract at 18? I'm definitely eager to see what he's all about. And Steph Reynolds, who can apparently run the 100m faster than May and Sharples, although is a little undersized. Hoping Stooke gets back on track; he's the rare enforcer that England could do with.

Well, Ross Moriarty put in some impressive displays for Wales. It looks like he's improved massively on last season. Him and Kvesic are going to have a wonderful partnership this season.

Did I, the Sage, not inform you of this prior to last season?

Yeah Matawalu is going to be fun to watch whatever.

I'd add Devoto, potentially if he overtakes Eastmond (or Eastmond strops off back to league) and assuming Burgess stays at 6 this could be a breakthrough season. He has the skills to be a top class inside centre of given the time to develop there.

Agree with this, would be my player to watch, hope him and Slade at Exe can have a battle for the England 12 shirt. Both have excellent skill set.

Whats peoples take on Kvesic.

Personally I think hes a classy player who should have been at the WC. Yet others don't seem to rate him.

For the Falcons, well theres a few actually...loads of kids to watch however:

Scott Wilson (TH Prop) . Scott had second season syndrome last season...and it was a hard year for him. However he has been on fire this pre-season. His idol is Carl Hayman...if he can get near that level, we'll have a cracker.

Chris Harris (13) - Bit of a late developer through the academy but wow he's showing class now. One of those players who seems to have time on the ball and runs great lines. He's bulked up aswell.

Zac Kibirige (Winger) Had a horrific injury, but hes come through that now and we hope this could be his season.

I was lucky to watch the game with Todd Clever our new signing on Saturday. He was in town on his own so I asked him to join me and my mates and showed him a Geordie falcon welcome. Tequillas etc . Really nice guy actually.

Had some great views on the current trend of USA rugby looking at NFL guys etc. Disliked it a lot and said he'd worked in the camps and they really struggled with the basics.
He could be a great signing. Has already played well in a a few pre season games.

If we get a new coach (especially a SH one) then Kvesic will be our first choice 7 by the end of the Six Nations.
He's everything you could want in an openside.

That's what I think Olyy. I cant understand what people don't see in him....

Whats peoples take on Kvesic.

Personally I think hes a classy player who should have been at the WC. Yet others don't seem to rate him.

For the Falcons, well theres a few actually...loads of kids to watch however:

Scott Wilson (TH Prop) . Scott had second season syndrome last season...and it was a hard year for him. However he has been on fire this pre-season. His idol is Carl Hayman...if he can get near that level, we'll have a cracker.

Chris Harris (13) - Bit of a late developer through the academy but wow he's showing class now. One of those players who seems to have time on the ball and runs great lines. He's bulked up aswell.

Zac Kibirige (Winger) Had a horrific injury, but hes come through that now and we hope this could be his season.

I was lucky to watch the game with Todd Clever our new signing on Saturday. He was in town on his own so I asked him to join me and my mates and showed him a Geordie falcon welcome. Tequillas etc . Really nice guy actually.

Had some great views on the current trend of USA rugby looking at NFL guys etc. Disliked it a lot and said he'd worked in the camps and they really struggled with the basics.
He could be a great signing. Has already played well in a a few pre season games.

Kvesic has good potential but had been part of an under performing Glaws pack. I'd like to see him brought into the England squad and given a genuine run.

Will Fraser and Wallace at Quins also have potential.

Kvesic has good potential but had been part of an under performing Glaws pack. I'd like to see him brought into the England squad and given a genuine run.

Will Fraser and Wallace at Quins also have potential.

....and yet still performed well himself every time I saw him play. For me that counts in his favour, not against him. I agree with Olyy that given a sensible coaching setup he will be our first choice openside, without any serious competition, by the end of the 6N

If Will fraser can get himself injury free he could be a cracker at 7 aswell....but he just seems incapable of staying fit.

And Clifford. So we could have a good battle for that 7 shirt but for me Kvesic has been excellent.

Don't think Fraser is close to Kvesic atm, Clifford definitely isn't.

Scary thing is Kvesic is only playing about 75% as well as he was before he moved to Gloucester.

Latest posts