• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Round 10

I hate criticising refs, ultimately there won't be any if it continues the way it's become, however it would be nice for some consistency in a single game even, being so unwilling to properly penalise Leicester yet punish Bath incredibly harshly is very frustrating. With the selections Leicester were always the likely winners but probably not by the scoreline here.

Bath really have pressed the self district button here.

Absolutely freezing at Welford Road today but I still enjoyed the game even if I wasn't very impressed with the Bath lineup. When I bought my ticket I was expecting to see the likes of Russell, Spencer and Ollie Lawrence in action.

Was great to see an (almost full) stadium. They advertised it as sold out but there were pockets of empty seats dotted about. Atmosphere was good at times too.

The game went as I expected in the first half anyway. With Bath having precious little of the ball. Second half they enjoyed several surprising periods of dominance though and it was frustrating to see attacks often being halted because of an errant pass into touch when there were men free to hit.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning the referee's shambolic performance.

All in all a decent day out and I'm looking forward to heading back in a few weeks for the Leinster game in the Champions Cup.

Absolutely freezing at Welford Road today but I still enjoyed the game even if I wasn't very impressed with the Bath lineup. When I bought my ticket I was expecting to see the likes of Russell, Spencer and Ollie Lawrence in action.

Was great to see an (almost full) stadium. They advertised it as sold out but there were pockets of empty seats dotted about. Atmosphere was good at times too.

The game went as I expected in the first half anyway. With Bath having precious little of the ball. Second half they enjoyed several surprising periods of dominance though and it was frustrating to see attacks often being halted because of an errant pass into touch when there were men free to hit.

I'm not even going to bother mentioning the referee's shambolic performance.

All in all a decent day out and I'm looking forward to heading back in a few weeks for the Leinster game in the Champions Cup.
Sold out means tickets sold rather than full attendance

For example season ticket holders who can't make would still be counted

It was definitely forward. But then so was Varney's pass in the build up to Hastings' try. Ideally neither try would/should have stood but it evened itself out so no big deal.

How typical that Saracens fans only want to talk about the Quins forward pass.
I think it's irrelevant that I'm a Sarries fan, when what I want is consistency for all teams/matches so that there isn't grievence. If Team A scores a try or receives a YC, that can change the dynamics of a game. The Butterfly Effect so to speak.

Part of me thinks that there is pressure on officials to not review as much, but that risks missing a lot of incidents for player welfare and fair entertainment. There needs to be a balance.

It's not irrelevant at all. Your bias is clear when you still made no mention of the fact that Gloucester's first try came from a forward pass that was even more obvious than Esterhuizen's … why would your 'butterfly effect' not have been equally applicable to that incident?

I'm not picking on Bath here, plenty of other teams have done it, but I hate seeing a clear second string and the game effectively thrown - wrap it up however you like but that's what it is. Way beyond reasonable rotation. Result never going to be in doubt, and the coaches know it even if they won't say so publicly.

Competition is the essence of sport and that was a total rip off for the paying spectator. Related, I've also been to a Sarries v Chiefs game at the end of an international period which was effectively a B team fixture, but at full price - I don't mind paying good money for a good product, but that really grated and lesson learned.

That it wasn't a rout on the scoreboard was a reflection of Tigers packing up for the year having got the job done early.

Best use of resources, focus on priorities / other matches yada yada. It's only a 10 team league, and a struggling league at that. Not withstanding an excellent crowd - well done Tigers, but presumably most tickets sold well before teams announced - that is not a way to help put new bums on seats.

I'm not picking on Bath here, plenty of other teams have done it, but I hate seeing a clear second string and the game effectively thrown - wrap it up however you like but that's what it is. Way beyond reasonable rotation. Result never going to be in doubt, and the coaches know it even if they won't say so publicly.

Competition is the essence of sport and that was a total rip off for the paying spectator. Related, I've also been to a Sarries v Chiefs game at the end of an international period which was effectively a B team fixture, but at full price - I don't mind paying good money for a good product, but that really grated and lesson learned.

That it wasn't a rout on the scoreboard was a reflection of Tigers packing up for the year having got the job done early.

Best use of resources, focus on priorities / other matches yada yada. It's only a 10 team league, and a struggling league at that. Not withstanding an excellent crowd - well done Tigers, but presumably most tickets sold well before teams announced - that is not a way to help put new bums on seats.
Well said.

Like I mentioned earlier I paid £40 for a seat behind the goal. I've not got a lot of spare cash as it is. If I'd seen the Bath team before I handed my money over I'd have changed my mind.

This is where rugby shoots itself in the foot. Bath and Leicester are arguably the two most storied clubs in England and supposedly big rivals. Can you imagine Arsenal going to Old Trafford and playing a load of reserves in the Premier League? Utterly ridiculous.

It's not irrelevant at all. Your bias is clear when you still made no mention of the fact that Gloucester's first try came from a forward pass that was even more obvious than Esterhuizen's … why would your 'butterfly effect' not have been equally applicable to that incident?
I was at the game in north London, so not able to comment on events going on at HQ.

I merely posted a tweet by Andy Goode, so maybe take it up with him as to why he didn't raise other questionable incidents.

As for the Glos try that you refer to, it would apply you idiot, although I've not seen the lead up to comment one way or the other.

Well said.

Like I mentioned earlier I paid £40 for a seat behind the goal. I've not got a lot of spare cash as it is. If I'd seen the Bath team before I handed my money over I'd have changed my mind.

This is where rugby shoots itself in the foot. Bath and Leicester are arguably the two most storied clubs in England and supposedly big rivals. Can you imagine Arsenal going to Old Trafford and playing a load of reserves in the Premier League? Utterly ridiculous.
It was a missed opportunity to realign the calendar to avoid conflict with football (for match day attendances) and tournaments like the 6N and RWC. Squads are having to rotate more to manage multiple player pathways at domestic and international level, especially with strained budgets.

I was at the game in north London, so not able to comment on events going on at HQ.

I merely posted a tweet by Andy Goode, so maybe take it up with him as to why he didn't raise other questionable incidents.

As for the Glos try that you refer to, it would apply you idiot, although I've not seen the lead up to comment one way or the other.
Well perhaps you shouldn't try to be smart when you don't know the full context.

Perhaps you should also learn some respect when you're at it.

Latest posts