• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro D2 2017/18

Car

Academy Player
Country Flag
Germany
Club or Nation
Perpignan
I thought it might make sense to open a new thread for the new season. After a convincing pre-season, USA Perpignan opened the new season in style with a 66-6 against Bayonne. I really didn't except that and it didn't look like that in the beginning either. Great game, great atmosphere with a great attendance. You can watch some highlights here.

Watched that game. Bayonne looked weak. Think USAP could be a contender for promotion. Bayonne will struggle.

USAP looking very strong, but early days. Impressive start by newly promoted RC Massy too

If you consider the hype in the French rugby press before the match, you'd have thought Bayonne would have been better than that. Yes, very early days, but after last season's poor start, it just felt really good.

It would be great to see Perpignan back in the top 14, I have followed them since Richard Parkes was with them and they are my 1st choice French team. On a lower level I follow Federal 3 pool 9 side Perigueux, who have started this season really well and are away to 2nd placed Belves today so good luck Perigueux, and good luck to USAP v Stade Montois at home today.
(weird coincidence that my 3 teams Pontypridd, Perpignan and Perigueux all begin with P)

What's happened to Biarritz? They've gone from being top European contenders to mid-table Pro Deux.

What's happened to Biarritz? They've gone from being top European contenders to mid-table Pro Deux.
Money is what's happened or rather lack of it, you have teams like Clermount, Toulon, Saracens, Harlequins, plus other wealthy English and French sides who prefer to buy trophies rather than develop their own local players, very similar to your Real Madrid's, PSG's, Manchester City and Chelsea's in the soccer world.
It would be better if Soccer and Union followed the Super league salary cap and made it a level playing field, with well run and financially managed teams like Cas Tigers are able to compete fairly.
It would be great if for example Saracens, Toulon, Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea all got relegated and their respective leagues where won by Oyannoux, Worcester Warriors,, West Brom, Bilbao etc.
Sadly money is everything in sport at the minute.

USAP's second half against Mont-de-Marsan was painful to watch. MDM had some great tries, but ouch, that was frustrating.

Latest posts