• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question of Sport 2

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Jun 12 2006, 07:52 PM
Has to be the Maracana, something like 200000 for the Uruguay/Brazil final
Bit easy that one. Your go now for sure...

Alright then which team reached the world cup quarter final despite not winning a game?

Italy '82 v

Cameroon 1-1
Peru 1-1
Poland 0-0

But they then went on to beat Brazil 3-2, Argentina 2-1, Poland 2-0, and West Germany 3-1 to win the World Cup.

But Italy made it through to the second round which was four groups of three and not therefore the quarter-finals but this is what I assume you are looking for.

And also Chile made it through to the round of 16 without winning a game in France '98.

As a side note - there are some really weird grouping systems during th 50'2 tournaments.

Check out this link:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/pwc/r/1958.html

If two teams tied for a position in the group stage they would have a play-off game before the QF's. And this game would count in the points that they got in group stage. I wonder if this determined the seeding for the QF draws.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jun 5 2006, 06:25 AM
Rightie Ho... next question.

Who has scored more goals in the World Cup finals - New Zealand or Australia.

Bonus point for the numbers.
New Zealand - 2. Both against Scotland in 1982. [/b]

WRONG!!!!!!!!!! :roflrol:

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!+Jun 13 2006, 07:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jun 5 2006, 06:25 AM

New Zealand - 2. Both against Scotland in 1982. [/b]

WRONG!!!!!!!!!! :roflrol: [/b]
Look at the date that the question was asked!!! Obviously if the question was asked now the answer would be different. So therefore the only thing that is wrong is ... you.

Originally posted by BigTen+Jun 14 2006, 03:46 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Jun 13 2006, 07:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jun 5 2006, 06:25 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>New Zealand - 2. Both against Scotland in 1982.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!! :roflrol: [/b][/quote]
Look at the date that the question was asked!!! Obviously if the question was asked now the answer would be different. So therefore the only thing that is wrong is ... you. [/b][/quote]
I've gotto praise Truthy for going back on that one :bravo:

most of us forgot about that question.

Times a changing!!! :bleh!:

Still waiting for An Tarbh to confirm whether his question has been answered correctly or not.

I noticed that it took Togo 31 minutes to score their first world cup goal.

It has taken Australia 355 minutes and 32 years! Yeah be real proud!

Nope that wasn't the one I was thinking of, there wasn't a quarter final really in 82.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jun 14 2006, 09:38 PM
Still waiting for An Tarbh to confirm whether his question has been answered correctly or not.

I noticed that it took Togo 31 minutes to score their first world cup goal.

It has taken Australia 355 minutes and 32 years!  Yeah be real proud!
TOGO

Okay I am assuming that you are thinking of the Republic of Ireland during the Italy 1990 tournament.

Ireland had three draws against England (1-1), Egypt (0-0) and the Netherlands (1-1) to finish 2nd in the group phase.

In the second round they played Romania and drew 0-0 before beating them on penalties.

They therefore made it into the Quarter-Finals without "winning" a game.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jun 17 2006, 04:53 PM
Okay I am assuming that you are thinking of the Republic of Ireland during the Italy 1990 tournament.

Ireland had three draws against England (1-1), Egypt (0-0) and the Netherlands (1-1) to finish 2nd in the group phase.

In the second round they played Romania and drew 0-0 before beating them on penalties.

They therefore made it into the Quarter-Finals without "winning" a game.
Winner. :bravo:

Spot on An Tarbh.

No other nation in world cup history has held the Football World Cup for longer than Italy even though Brazil has won it more.

Italy won the world cup in 1934 and didn't relinquish it until 1950. They won the 1938 tournament and then kept in hidden during WWII.

Next question...

Alright then I'll go easy on you, which world cup squad is made up exclusively of players who ply their trade outside their country?

Latest posts