• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 - Leinster vs Benetton Treviso

I've only been watching the last 30 mins but from what I've seen Madigan has been brilliant. He has led an attack with variation and pace, not to mention all the inexperienced players outside of him. His long passing is probably the most advanced in Ireland and his ability to play on the gain line makes him so threatening. I think his last kick for Carr's try showed his footballing skills and his conversion shows he is able to place kick.

Especially considering he had a defender right in his face. Good conversion there at the end as well. Has all the makings of a quality player does Madigan.

Definately would like to see him kick a bit more though. Has an eye for the line and attacks the gain line Does carry to much for an out half but he will only get better and will be quality.

That was a very satisfying performance in the end. 42-8, 5 tries and 5 points is hard to argue with.

It was said in one of the early posts in this threat that little can be learned from a game like this. I wholeheartedly disagree. We saw Jamie Hagan outperform Nathan White at tighthead. We saw Collie O'Shea and Noel Reid show nice touches at 12 and grasp the opportunity better than Eamonn Sheridan did last year. A try for John Cooney should boost his confidence after he looked shaky earlier in the season. We saw Dave Kearney make a massive impact off the bench whereas Darren Hudson was quiet. We saw elements of Ian Madigan's game that need to be worked on (he took on far too much ball in the last 20 minutes). We saw Rhys Ruddock show a lack of control from the back of a scrum which must be worked on. We saw Brendan Macken look very good with ball in hand but perhaps not look to pass enough. We saw the young front row which finished the game do a job on the Treviso front row. There was lots of game time for a whole host of inexperienced players. Some grasped it better than others. That won't be lost on Joe Schmidt.

Based on today, I'd be more inclined to give a contract to Collie O'Shea and Noel Reid than Eamonn Sheridan. Tom Sexton would be ahead of Aaron Dundon if there's a decision to be made on who the third hooker in the squad is. Jamie Hagan made a case to be the second choice tighthead behind Mike Ross. Darren Hudson may have fallen down the depth chart. Rhys Ruddock showed again that he's not an 8. Reservations about Ian Madigan's ability to lead a backline diminished further.

Next week against the Scarlets hopefully we'll see them take another step up. I imagine Dave Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Eoin O'Malley, Jamie Hagan and Rhys Ruddock will come into the starting XV.

Don't think Hudson was that bad was running good support lines particularly in the first half but simply wasn't getting passed to. Had a nice kick.

Latest posts